Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
we also don't see many pro athletes going to live in Ethiopia for a while...

You mean besidees Ethopian marathoners?

Here is the deal. NO ONE has said Ryan Hall is a bad guy. Many of criticized his lack of success. The man has incredible talent. If he did not, no one would care what he did. The issue, for me, is that is "following" seems to have more to do with his beliefs than his performance. Much like Tim Tebow, who was a success, and was to be admired, he was not as successful as his followers suggest. I have no gripe with Hall. But if I did, it would be the same gripe I have with any professional athlete who underperforms. My issues, to the limited extent I have one, is with his fans. Meb has now won the two biggest marathons on the planet and has Olympic bling. No one, and I mean no one hammers him, because he wins. Time is irrelevant in the marathon (quick, what did Rogers, or Shorter or Greta run any of their races in?). Yet, I do not see that Meb has the same number of fans. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps Meb's fans do not need to wave a flag because we all love Meb.

So, if you are defending Ryan Hall the runner, are you doing so because you share his beliefs or because you believe his is a great runner. If you support him because you share his beliefs, just admit it. I do not share his, but I do have a begrudging respect for the fact he is open about what his are.

As far as his living in a foreign county, I have a daughter serving with the Peace Corps, for free. I am delighted you are impressed with her too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also like Tebow he likes to do cooky shit that seems counter to his running career. Being coached by his God was the height of his cooky-ness.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:

But they get to Kenya. Not a lot of difference.

I'd also suggest looking up the Robertson twins from New Zealand if you want a real story about moving abroad to chase a dream.
Last edited by: needmoreair: Apr 23, 14 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Here is the deal. NO ONE has said Ryan Hall is a bad guy. Many of criticized his lack of success. The man has incredible talent. If he did not, no one would care what he did. The issue, for me, is that is "following" seems to have more to do with his beliefs than his performance..

Careful talking sense around here. People will "misread" what you write and jump all over you for their own comprehension issues.
Quote Reply
Re: LA says Carmichael knew about his doping [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:

Thank you

Are you another one of these people who don't understand courses and times and legitimate running performances?

Or do you accept (along with the governing body and everyone else that understands marathoning) that Hall has had one legitimate 2:06 time?

Some great results undoubtedly, but nothing that could even remotely put him in the same class as true sub 2:05 runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatsethguy wrote:
Personally, after reading that article, I say kudos to Ryan Hall for reading the race right and helping Meb out. Classy.

The monster appearance fee he was already getting probably helped to dull the pain. The luxury of ideals. The other mid-level American guys (to whom the prize $ was a really important piece of the compensation pie) were probably less than thrilled. When shopping for contracts next year they can't really add "ran false tempo and helped Meb win" to the race resume nor can they exchange those good feelings for rent or food. Most of the mid-level marathoners are sailing really close to the wind financially and unlike Hall were not getting a small fortune to just show up. That said, the idea of team tactics in the marathon is really exciting, provided the domestiques get to split the paycheck with the leader (how cycling works).
Quote Reply
Re: LA says Carmichael knew about his doping [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
needmoreair wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Thank you

Are you another one of these people who don't understand courses and times and legitimate running performances?

Or do you accept (along with the governing body and everyone else that understands marathoning) that Hall has had one legitimate 2:06 time?

Some great results undoubtedly, but nothing that could even remotely put him in the same class as true sub 2:05 runners.

You need to get off your imaginary throne and give it a rest. I get it. Ryan Hall isn't a legitimate runner. You must be one hell of an athlete or a complete ass hat who loves trolling the shit out of ST forums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Thank you

You need to get off your imaginary throne and give it a rest. I get it. Ryan Hall isn't a legitimate runner. You must be one hell of an athlete or a complete ass hat who loves trolling the shit out of ST forums.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

An assertion was made that Ryan Hall was in some elite category because he ran a sub 2:05.

All I did was reaffirm the fact that he is not in that category because he has not done such a time.

Then the Ryan Hall fan club felt compelled to misread what was written and challenge said facts with made up assertions and random accusations.

So perhaps instead of peddling your vitriol you'd do well to check your own facts and do a bit of critical thinking before proclaiming yourself arbitrator of the message boards and, in essence, trolling me.
Quote Reply
Re: LA says Carmichael knew about his doping [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOU'RE RIGHT I DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??!!!

I'll pay you in compression gear and magical gu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
YOU'RE RIGHT I DON'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??!!!

I'll pay you in compression gear and magical gu.

I'll have to decline. Punctuation lessons alone will likely take weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Thank you

Your sparing opponent needs no help, but just curious...ever criticize a baseball player for striking out with the bases loaded? Can you hit a 100 mph fastball? (I suspect if you answered no to the first question, you are either not a baseball fan, lying, or can hit a 100 mph fastball)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by needmoreair [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: needmoreair: Apr 23, 14 14:12
Re: LA says Carmichael knew about his doping [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
apbadger wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Thank you

Your sparing opponent needs no help, but just curious...ever criticize a baseball player for striking out with the bases loaded? Can you hit a 100 mph fastball? (I suspect if you answered no to the first question, you are either not a baseball fan, lying, or can hit a 100 mph fastball)

I have not. Hit the nail on the head as I don't care for baseball...besides the tailgating part : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Here is the deal. NO ONE has said Ryan Hall is a bad guy. Many of criticized his lack of success. The man has incredible talent. If he did not, no one would care what he did. The issue, for me, is that is "following" seems to have more to do with his beliefs than his performance. Much like Tim Tebow, who was a success, and was to be admired, he was not as successful as his followers suggest. I have no gripe with Hall. But if I did, it would be the same gripe I have with any professional athlete who underperforms. My issues, to the limited extent I have one, is with his fans. Meb has now won the two biggest marathons on the planet and has Olympic bling. No one, and I mean no one hammers him, because he wins. Time is irrelevant in the marathon (quick, what did Rogers, or Shorter or Greta run any of their races in?). Yet, I do not see that Meb has the same number of fans. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps Meb's fans do not need to wave a flag because we all love Meb.

So, if you are defending Ryan Hall the runner, are you doing so because you share his beliefs or because you believe his is a great runner. If you support him because you share his beliefs, just admit it. I do not share his, but I do have a begrudging respect for the fact he is open about what his are.

As far as his living in a foreign county, I have a daughter serving with the Peace Corps, for free. I am delighted you are impressed with her too.

Nobody would bother to criticize Hall if he were not an outspoken Christian. Nobody would care. There are countless athletes who under perform and very few people care about those guys. Call a spade a spade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, i'm about as far from sharing his "beliefs" as you probably could be. I actually like Hall in spite of them (don't have a problem but not my thing). I like Hall because 1) he seems like a decent dude; 2) he is a great runner; 3) he's got a hot wife. I became a fan when I watched him obliterate the field in the '08 trials in Central Park. He's certainly not achieved what fans have hoped, but that doesn't mean he's not a great runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Nobody would bother to criticize Hall if he were not an outspoken Christian. Nobody would care. There are countless athletes who under perform and very few people care about those guys. Call a spade a spade.

Exactly. And hardly anyone would defend him if he was an atheist. There. A spade is a spade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Exactly. And hardly anyone would defend him if he was an atheist. There. A spade is a spade.

Here is the deal. I think that many people openly acknowledge that they are fans of Ryan Hall because of his beliefs, values, character, etc. On the other hand, I think that many people who criticize Hall are not genuine in the true reasons for their zeal in criticism of Hall. Their technical points may be correct, but they wouldn't bother if the guy were not an outspoken Christian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Hall b/c he's an american runner and I like to see American runners succeed and further the sport. But that's probably not a legitimate reason around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Here is the deal. I think that many people openly acknowledge that they are fans of Ryan Hall because of his beliefs, values, character, etc. On the other hand, I think that many people who criticize Hall are not genuine in the true reasons for their zeal in criticism of Hall. Their technical points may be correct, but they wouldn't bother if the guy were not an outspoken Christian.

Nope. Not true. I guess you did not read further up in my post where I suggested his supporters do that very thing. (See italics in my post above). Instead, his supporters suggest he is "great" because he ran a few good races. Just like Tebows fans (same gang probably) talk about how he was a "winner." So, if Halls supporters are all willing to just admit that they support him because he claims a certain religious devotion, we can end this nonsense and debate whether Sketchers will make you run faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being crazy fast and a disappointment are not mutually
exclusive
Quote Reply
Re: Ryan Hall gets a lot of crap around here... [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Being crazy fast and a disappointment are not mutually
exclusive

Yes...but can Sketchers really make you run faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

Really? Then how come Tom Danielson got pounded in a regular basis when he continually came up short in his bike races?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next