Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery heart rate function on 910XT
Quote | Reply
Hello all.
I'm a new owner of Garmin 910XT (got it cheap from a friend).
I am no professional runner or top athlete, although I'm not in that bad shape after all.
My question is about "recovery heart rate" function that displays shortly after you stop your activity (running). I've googled a bit found out that this number stands for the difference between heart rate right after activity and heart rate 2 minutes later. The higher this number the better shape you are in.
I usually get 40-60 recovery rate. This is considered very good.
But my question is this - is this number reliable? Do you keep track of this number? Or do you completely ignore it?

Thanks for replying.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery heart rate function on 910XT [jaz82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you dont get your normal HRR (heart rate recovery) it might be a sign of overreaching. A pretty nice metric but dont put your life on the line for it.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery heart rate function on 910XT [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the more intense I run, the higher the "recovery rate".
So I should pay attention if recovery rate value drops? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the higher you push your HR the faster it will decline. If you are at 180 BPM and stop there is simply a lot more beats to drop (skrillexpun anyone) than if you are at 135 bpm.

If your HRR is from 160 bpm is usually 60 beats, ie down to 100, and suddenly its only 40 something might be wrong. Just might. And that something can be many things.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery heart rate function on 910XT [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can only compare workouts of similar intensity. But there's definitely a clear relationship. I remember riding with a buddy last year and we stopped for a potty break. When we started going again, we compared HR's. Mine was like 80, and his was still at 115. Man, if that guy had the time to train, he'd be killer strong on the bike. Probably capable of at least FTP of 350 or better. He was probably over 300 last year, but his position wasn't; that aggressive.

I'm not sure if Garmin displays this metric.. or it's just a Trainingpeaks metric, but I like the NGP (normalized graded pace) to HR ratio. As that number increases, it indicates your holding the same average pace and a lower average heart rate. It can also indicate a improvement in run economy. However, when overreaching, your HR will often run a little low. Despite cutting my run volume dramatically and taking almost a week off at one point due to injury, because I increased my swimming and cycling volume, my cardio got a boost... so I hit a new record in that value.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery heart rate function on 910XT [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I think you can only compare workouts of similar intensity. But there's definitely a clear relationship. I remember riding with a buddy last year and we stopped for a potty break. When we started going again, we compared HR's. Mine was like 80, and his was still at 115. Man, if that guy had the time to train, he'd be killer strong on the bike. Probably capable of at least FTP of 350 or better. He was probably over 300 last year, but his position wasn't; that aggressive.

I'm not sure if Garmin displays this metric.. or it's just a Trainingpeaks metric, but I like the NGP (normalized graded pace) to HR ratio. As that number increases, it indicates your holding the same average pace and a lower average heart rate. It can also indicate a improvement in run economy. However, when overreaching, your HR will often run a little low. Despite cutting my run volume dramatically and taking almost a week off at one point due to injury, because I increased my swimming and cycling volume, my cardio got a boost... so I hit a new record in that value.

You can't compare like that either. His resting HR may be 30 beats higher then yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usable for comparison of similar workouts. Same sport, same intensity, same length, same temperatures.

But given all those, yes a very good measure.

This guy has done a lot of work on it, http://uctscholar.uct.ac.za/...035_Lamberts_R_P.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery heart rate function on 910XT [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link - that's a little more information than I needed :)

Well my resting heart rate (when I'm idle in bed for 10 minutes) is 52 BPM, whereas my maximum heart rate is 188 BPM (calculated with heart rate calculator, although I don't believe in static formulas. Another tool to calculate your heart rate zones here.). Measured max heart rate gives 197 BPM (running in intervals and increasing intensity every 5 minutes and checking HR until all out intensity reached and then add 5 BPM on top of that).

Do these numbers tell anything at all?
I'm 32, male, healthy, 190 cm tall and have 100 kg.

I could have a recovery rate of 100 easily with these numbers.

/edit: typos
Last edited by: jaz82: Feb 27, 15 4:24
Quote Reply