Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in sizing. I fit normal castelli body paint size small as well as the san remo in size small so would a small fit in this?
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear a small in the Team version (custom sublimation) of the San Remo. I think these are actually BP 2.0 versions. I don't know if the TT fit will mess up the sizing or if mesh is as stretchy, I bit bullet and ordered a small BP 3.0. I will post how well it fits when it arrives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased the Speed Suit 3. I'll race in it in a couple of weeks, unless it's too cold to wear. The mesh is really mesh. I'll have to wear suntan lotion on my back.

I'm 6' and 160 lbs. I bought the medium. It's very tight, but no wrinkles. Perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long does it take to put one of these suits on? Sounds like it'd be worth it, over the course of an IM leg, even if you spend a few mins putting it on.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got mine. At 5'10" and 157ish I fit in the small just about perfect for a TT skin suit (no wrinkles).

Here are some additional observations:
I find the design interesting because some aspects go against the conventional wisdom for what should make a fast skinsuit. First off, the legs are not textured at all, just smooth Lycra. Castelli's own aero shorts have textured cuffs and my team San Remo has textured fabric and textured cuffs. The arms are also smooth, with the exception being the back of the arm, which is mesh and the transition from smooth fabric to mesh is kinda lumpy. Could this be designed as a trip zone?

The suit, at least as it fits me, has the bat-wing effect where the material makes a bridge from the arm to the rib cage. I remember Pearl doing this when they sponsored Garmin, so I was surprised to see this on the Castelli.

The zipper is very flimsy and seems of a lower quality than the rest of the Castelli stuff. I am definitely going to pack an extra skinsuit.

The fit is a little different from the PI stuff I had the last couple of years. The PI speed suit was cut so you couldn't really stand up straight. It was great on the bike, but you had to walk around all hunched over. While the Castelli seems tighter than the PI, standing up isn't a problem.

All in all I would have to guess that the Peal speed suit is faster, but I will have to get my field testing protocol figured out to see if that really is the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is worthless without pics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would the aero jersey 5.0 be as aero as the Stealth T1? If so, then it the aero jersey might be a better choice unless the Stealth T1 can be worn comfortably under a wetsuit. The aero jersey 5.0 has a full length zipper which should make it a lot easier to it on and take off in transition as compare to the Stealth T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trickiest part is getting it over the shoulders, which requires pulling the sleeves on as far as they will go before pulling the top over the shoulders. I wouldn't want to have to do it with any moisture on my body, especially if you were in a hurry. I would also worry about getting sunburned with the mesh back in an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be wrong, but I think theres a newer version of the Stealth T1 that has a full zipper. Been looking to get one, and the ones Ive been seeing have a full length zip.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen pictures of the T1 with a half zipper and a full zipper, just not sure which is available. I would definitely consider a Stealth T1 with a full zipper as this would probably go on fairly quickly after the swim (assuming that it cannot be worn under a wetsuit. It would also be quick to take off. Pulling on a skin tight top over your head when wet is a show stopper as far as I am concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
How long does it take to put one of these suits on? Sounds like it'd be worth it, over the course of an IM leg, even if you spend a few mins putting it on.

It takes me about 5-7 minutes and saved me <1% vs a 2 pc tri kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just put in an order for a Stealth T1. The T1 has a full length zipper, so it should be quick to put on and take off in transition. Wasn't interested in the T1 when I thought it had a half zipper.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

OK. Here's a terrible photo of me in the suit. I'm 6' and 160 lbs. The suit is a medium. I'm wearing underwear under the suit (the suit is somewhat see-through) since I was trying it on for sizing.

I'm having trouble embedding, so here is the link: http://bit.ly/P8Z2jh
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

https://vimeo.com/88949988 video w/ suit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you stole my road and TT bikes. please ship them back to me so when I get home from work they are there. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That video is great! Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have a Bodypaint for time trialing. That jersey/tee shirt is way looser than any racer cut jersey I have so no wonder the jersey/shorts produce a bigger drag number. His pedaling needs some work too.
Quote Reply
Re: Bodypaint 3.0 Speedsuit [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
I do have a Bodypaint for time trialing. That jersey/tee shirt is way looser than any racer cut jersey I have so no wonder the jersey/shorts produce a bigger drag number. His pedaling needs some work too.

The point of the video was to show HOW MUCH difference the t-shirt made. Plenty of people who do triathlons wear a shirt that loose AND basketball shorts yet have no idea how much difference that makes even over a sprint distance triathlon.

Thanks for the input on my pedal stroke; given that the video is playing at slightly different speeds that may affect what appears (to you) to be a bad pedal stroke.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 18, 14 4:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 2 questions
1. Did you test different skinsuits on the TT bike?
2. What did you settle on for a helmet? That Catlike doesn't "look" like the best choice for you position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tested the gamut of clothing (what I had available) mainly from a tri perspective.

1) typical 2 piece tri kit
2) tight fitting ITU-style 1 pc tri kit
3) 1 pc tri kit + Castelli T1 (production version)
4) 1 pc tri kit + Fusion Top
5) Pearl Izumi Tri Octane
6) Castelli Body Paint 3

Positions were controlled through matching outline on video projection on floor (don't have a pic of this). So it was as controlled as you are going to get, essentially, without using a mannequin (which wouldn't work that well for apparel testing).

I used the Giro Advantage A2 in all tests (keeping head position the same) because it has been my fastest helmet option through a couple of rounds of tests.

The total difference between 1-6 (on me) was <1%. I am impervious to change, apparently. I've found through previous testing that I am relatively insensitive to positional changes as well.

The Catlike tested faster than the A2 for me by a noticeable margin. The head position pictured is a static position and is not representative of position while testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed in the video that the position you position is very consistent. In fact I didn't notice the change from the skinsuit to jersey the first time. Kinda too bad the you didn't find much in the way of improvements in the wind tunnel, but i guess you at least know that you can focus in just training and not worrying about equipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James thanks so much for sharing this information it is so very interesting to see how results differ so much between individuals and helps people like me to better prepare for my own visit to the tunnel!.
Quote Reply

Prev Next