Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BBright Pressfit issues solved?
Quote | Reply
I want to pull the trigger on a new Cervelo. While researching on-line, I came across quite a few people that had issues with the BBright Pressfit bottom bracket that resulted in bottom bracket noise. Various issues cited as the problem.... Mfgr brand of Pressfit, proper length of BB to ensure overlap of the two halves, no usage of loctite to secure the bb to the shell. Lots of smart people solving the challenges they had....but it seemed there were some growing pains with the BB (design?, mfgring tolerances in the frame?, lack of expertise and experience installing?).
The posts and reviews were predominantly fall 2011 so I'm wondering if the problems are over and the kinks have been sorted out or the installation techniques are refined to the point where this is no longer an issue.
Any perspective?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [sauga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in hearing about this too.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that anything has been solved as much as their is now more info on the proper or best way to install the BB.

Any pressfit requires very precise tolerances. With a BB you have weather and constant torque due to pedaling adding to the mix, making proper install procedures critical. When followed you shouldn't have any issues.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I'm not sure that anything has been solved as much as their is now more info on the proper or best way to install the BB.

Any tips on were one might find this info?
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contact Cervelo or Damon Rinard. They build the the frames, its pretty much a recommendation on the proper lube or adhesive for each surface.

Absent cervelo, the weight weenies forum tends to have very good advice on stuff like that.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
styrrell wrote:

Any tips on were one might find this info?

here's some of the info I was looking at on the cervelo forum.
http://forums.cervelo.com/...914.aspx?PageIndex=3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>installation techniques are refined to the point where this is no longer an issue

I was just talking to a mechanic who says that the vast majority of BB creaking he sees are BB30/BB90/BBright, etc, even though those don't (yet) represent the vast majority of BB's. I have one buddy with BB30 who was told he just has to live with it since his problem is in the frame, and the mechanic can't do anything about it. I wonder if they ever will "solve" all those problems...it may be difficult to approach the maintainability/reliability of the English threaded/external bearing design.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sauga wrote:

Linkie no workie.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both my everyday riders are pressfit BBs: a bb90 and a bbright. i've got no creaking in either. so, either it's not a problem; or it's a fixed problem; or it's installer error; or i just got lucky twice; or i just don't out enough power to make a bb creak ;-(

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>both my everyday riders are pressfit BBs: a bb90 and a bbright. i've got no creaking in either. so, either it's not a problem; or it's a fixed problem; or it's installer error; or i just got lucky twice; or i just don't out enough power to make a bb creak ;-(

Fair enough. But the way I heard to explained by the mechanic was that like 1% of English/external BB's have trouble over a typical BB lifecycle vs. 5% of pressfit. This may be entirely due to "process" rather than design. It's hard to screw up the installation on a threaded BB. It's apparently not all that hard to screw up a pressfit BB.

Also, if you've seen one threaded/external BB, you've basically seen them all. By contrast, the various implementations of the various pressfit standards seem to have "proprietary" quirks, e.g. you have to know just where to put that drop of loctite, just the right torque on the crank, etc. The mechanics at any Cannondale shop have it down to a science. Cervelo shops have probably caught up. But whenever the process is more demanding, there *will* be more error at the margins.
Quote Reply
Re: BBright Pressfit issues solved? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Threaded BBs used to lead the league in shops having to tryfrozen to rescue frames with frozen / stuck cups corroded in them. I agree that the install is easy and pretty fool proof, but they did have some issues.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link works for me but then I am a member of the forum. I did a bit of research on this too as i am about to swap the BB from SRAM (no problem) to Rotor Ceramic to go with the Rotor cranks i bought.

Here's a quote from Damon Rinard:

Quote:
Hi bigmac,
We recommend LocTite 641. Activator 7471 or 7649 speeds curing time. LocTite's PDF info sheet is here:https://tds.us.henkel.com/...85E/$File/641-EN.pdf
Our retailers have also reported success with LocTite RC609 and 608, with and without the primer/activator.

A very interesting quote:

Quote:
I had poor results using 641 w/ primer, so I had to use the higher strength 609 w/primer. I have had no problems since (BBRight Campagnolo cups on a 2011 R5). Be sure to use a bearing press or headset press to set the cups and leave the press in overnight for best results.EM3

I took that quote from this thread which is a worthwhile read:

http://forums.cervelo.com/...468/58825.aspx#58825

Moral of the story is that 609 seems to be better than 641. I'd saying using 7471 (before the 609) as described in the thread is a good idea as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
sauga wrote:

Linkie no workie.

hmm. link works for me too, but you could instead go to the cervelo forum and search for the folllowing thread:

BBright Sram S900/PressFit30 BB making noise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best source for this info is

http://bbright.net/...Fit-Instructions.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero issues for me, knock on wood
Quote Reply