Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This works for me. Small but plenty bright. Worn it on the trails before the sunrise when it's still dark and haven't had any problems seeing anything.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/...headlamp&start=6
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [Kevinschus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice pop-up on that Black Diamond link

Trucker hats ... they're everywhere!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trucker hats are pretty okay in my book. Especially free trucker hats.
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved it for hiking, but I could never get used to the weight while running. I'm tempted to try the Tika R or Tika RXP. Rechargeable isn't ideal for camping/backpacking, but for re-dawn runs from home, seems like a great option.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevinschus wrote:
This works for me. Small but plenty bright. Worn it on the trails before the sunrise when it's still dark and haven't had any problems seeing anything.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/...headlamp&start=6

I got this on Saturday

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/...mo-BD620614_cfg.html

Black Diamond Cosmo - $29.95 at REI

Quote:
Description

Featuring a sleek design and ample feature set, the 90-lumen Black Diamond Cosmo headlamp is equally at home cooking dinner at the campsite or rappelling off a multi-pitch route after the sun goes down. Standard distance and proximity modes, both dimmable, are complemented by a red night-vision mode—extra handy when waking in the middle of the night—and all modes are accessible via one simple-to-use button. And with a housing built to withstand sprayed water from any angle, the Cosmo is ready to brave nearly any storm you may encounter on your adventure.

One TriplePower LED, two SinglePower white LEDs and one SinglePower red LEDs emit up to 90 lumens on max setting
Red night-vision mode has proximity and strobe settings and activates without cycling through the white mode
Sleek, low-profile design uses three Black Diamond AAA Rechargeable Batteries or standard alkaline or lithium batteries
Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night-vision and lock mode
Three-level power meter shows remaining battery life for three seconds after switching on headlamp
Protected against splashing or sprayed water from any angle (IPX 4)
The first thing you notice, once you break it out of the packaging and get the batteries in, is that it's pretty compact. The unit itself is maybe the size & weight of a medium apricot or a small lime. On your head, it doesn't carry so much mass that you're nodding down in any way.

OK. It's out of the box, and you've put it on and taken it off. This is when you ask yourself "Self? I wonder how bright it is?"

What-EVER you do, do NOT light it up while looking at it!!! You will be blinded for a second, then you will see a blue dot in the middle of everything for approximately 5 minutes and 39 seconds [YMMV]

Enough monkeying around indoors; time to hit the road

While warming up on the front steps, with my glowy, safety lemon shirt [Target, $10], Amphipod Xinglet reflecto-vest [Moorestown Running Club, $30], and Team Tania blinky on the back [free to MS Team Members, 2010], adding this contraption boosted the DorkMeter to "Hella" according to D'Kid.

It became apparent pretty quickly that I totally gone for more power than I needed. The High, Triple Power setting is 90 Lumens, I believe, and that lit a spot on front of me almost as wide as the road itself, reaching 20-30 yards ahead. Backing down to the twin Single power LEDS made a nice bright place just in front of me, that showed the road ahead, even as cars were coming the other way. That being said, it if I was out in the woods, or running a route that I don't have memorized, I would be inclined to fire that baby up more than I did

It took about half a mile of fiddling to find the "Sweet Spot" where the "box" felt comfy AND didn't bounce around. Oddly enough, this was NOT dead-center on my forehead, but maybe half an inch to starboard. I guess my noggin has a dent in it right there that is perfectly accepting for my new gadget. This doesn't mean it's the perfect spot, there's not much cushion behind the lamp itself, so there's that to deal with. We're gonna have to work on that

Circling back to the "Sweet Spot": Once you get it, try NOT to move it. Even clicking the button to adjust the brightness, can jostle it out of place just a smidge, and you will notice it within half a dozen strides.

I don't know whether it's a feature of design, or simply coincidence, but with the lamp angled down, it throws enough ambient light [not in your face, don't worry] that if you're wearing properly bright / reflective top, it really boosts your visibility

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90 lumens?! That's what I consider barely functional for trail running.

My running headlamp throws 500 lumens. It's luxuriously bright, and truly awesome for running. It's got a big battery however that I carry in a Camelbak pocket.

Honestly, the least lumens I can use to run regularly at night without getting so annoyed at the lack of visilility is 180 lumens, which is what a Fenix L2D throws out.
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have never used the Fenix nor do I run 5min/miles, but my Princeton Tec Fuel does just fine sub 7:30's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Petzl NAO Flashlight. Awesome , it actually detects when you need less light as when a car is coming at you with its brights on or as it gets light out. I easily run o dark dirt track workouts at 6min or faster pace..love it! PLugs right into a USB socket as well to recharge, easy and bright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Silva Trail Runner. It's 140 lumen, about 120grams and has a long battery life. I like having batteries that can be swapped out if they run down rather than having to be plugged in. Also it stays on perfectly and doesn't slip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most fun I've ever had in a training trail run was at night, full moon, snow cover. NO headlamp. Try it. After the eyes adjust for 5 minutes you can see everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
I use the Petzl NAO Flashlight. Awesome , it actually detects when you need less light as when a car is coming at you with its brights on or as it gets light out. I easily run o dark dirt track workouts at 6min or faster pace..love it! PLugs right into a USB socket as well to recharge, easy and bright.

I also love my NAO for running in very dark nights and the automatic brighting is very useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I run with a Silva Sprint Headtorch. The battery pack goes into a camel bak or you can get a smaller lighter one for it also but with 1050lumens for 2 hours you will never be able to use the excuse that you didn't see something!!!

Even on its lowest setting it is plenty bright enough for a run and you can remove the torch from the headband with a simple quick release clip and attach it to a mount for your bike where it excels even more.

Not cheap mind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exposure joystick in their headband strap

Works fine with a cap or hat

And of course you can use on your bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
90 lumens?! That's what I consider barely functional for trail running.

My running headlamp throws 500 lumens. It's luxuriously bright, and truly awesome for running. It's got a big battery however that I carry in a Camelbak pocket.

Honestly, the least lumens I can use to run regularly at night without getting so annoyed at the lack of visilility is 180 lumens, which is what a Fenix L2D throws out.

I just needed something to bridge the gap between streetlights [out in the woods, they installed them only at intersections]

Plus, I had a budget

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has anyone tried the Chinese import headtorches?
I bought a cycling light from China a couple of years ago that is incredibly bright, cheap and still working, can anyone review any Alibaba headtorches?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.zebralight.com/...ool-White_p_130.html

Top strap is optional and can be removed.

You get up to 1000 lumens for 2 hours, 660 lumens for 2.5 hours, etc. The nice thing about this one is that there is no rear battery pack. It basically takes one, 18650 battery (just a tiny bit larger than a "AA" battery) that fills the body of the unit and a strap.

Love this thing
Last edited by: JoeO: Oct 30, 14 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coolny29 wrote:
beaker wrote:

I also love my NAO for running in very dark nights and the automatic brighting is very useful.

Agreed, I just got the NAO with over 500 Lumens. Aging eyes and mostly trail running with my dog always makes me look for a better light. Maybe its my old eyes but I find that its not only the power but also the dispersion of the light. On some trails with the same color ground its often very hard to see the contours and shadows. ( kind of like skiing in the fog).
The NAO lights the ground right in front of me very well but also allows me to quickly look ahead for the dog etc.
The Petzl Myop is pretty good but much lower power and you have to always switch back to the deflector.
The only complaint about the NAO so far: I wish it was helmet compatible for the high price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outdoor gear lab did a somewhat recent comparison test, and has nighttime photos that let you see how the beams compare for a pretty long list of headlamp options (plus specs, etc):
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/...mp-Reviews/Beam-Test
Last edited by: ols: Oct 30, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This: http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item258fd66ee2

Crazy bright (though probably more like 900lm than 2000), cheap, long run time.

I can use this on unlit forest trails at night with no problems, even at 6:00/mile.

For street running it's overkill....but it's nice to see what's 100' ahead, and it lights up the reflective road signs for 300m, so cars definitely notice.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how this has become "My light is brighter than yours; and I'm faster than you, too"

Quote Reply
Re: Your BEST running headlamp? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
has anyone tried the Chinese import headtorches?
I bought a cycling light from China a couple of years ago that is incredibly bright, cheap and still working, can anyone review any Alibaba headtorches?

See my post above. Very happy with that light. It's a cheap CN import, but runs off a 1850 Li battery for long life, and has a Cree led.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zebra Light. Great light and water resistant.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply

Prev Next