Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drools. I had that exact frame when I was living up in Louisville and sold it just before moving....regret. I am constantly scanning for a 57 on the interwebz.
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

In '94, QR was selling the Zero Gravity (Patco steel tubing), Kilo (7005 Aluminum), and Special Edition (Tange steel tubing). Looks like you picked up a Special Edition.

I had the SE with 26" wheels...very sweet ride back in the day. Wish I would have kept it for a "trainer" bike. I'll never forget the day the UPS man dropped of my frame/fork...the quality of the paint job was UNREAL.

Enjoy.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tiger, don't give up the quest. Have patience. Keep looking. All you need is the frameset at a minimum and build from there. What really made the difference in bringing the bike up to its potential was a light carbon wheelset. Compared to the original Velocity wheelset, the Zipps smoothed out the ride greatly. Turned it from a VW into a Porsche.

When I first got the bike and for years after, well into the 2000s, would see plenty of these Kilos. But as time went on, they became fewer and fewer until now, I never see any other Kilos racing at all, let alone hardly any other 650s. But the bike splits very well against all the newer bikes. The Cervelos, the Treks, the current QRs, etc.

Thousands of these bikes were produced I believe. Dan would know more about the production numbers. I'm sure not all were turned into beer cans.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott, I think you win.
The frame is a QR Ultra Light, made from Tange Ultimate Ultralight Prestige tubing.
The top tube decals are the US flag and a Republic of California flag with a bear on it (?)
The frameset is extremely light.
The cartirdge bottom bracket is still usable.
There´s one ding on the top tube but apart from that it´s in good condition and is cleaning up nicely, the dirt is off and the next job is to try and get a bit of life back into the dull paintwork.
Should make a nice little rider.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 650c Kilo too! It looks a little funny, but the fit is comfy, and I got the frame/fork for $99 NOS a few years back. Hed disk and tirspoke were $500 for the set. Can't beat the price! I've been thinking about upgrading recently, just so I can have a powertap to swap back and forth with my roadie. Should I just wait on the new garmin pedal powermeter instead??
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [triblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike! I still have no idea what in the world my #101 is made of, though. Have to say, Quintana Roo steel bikes ride like a dream!
Sorry for a little thread hijack, any idea how much a frameset would be worth? Between a Kilo, a #101, or a Special Edition?
Last edited by: justkeepedaling: Nov 9, 11 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually just looked at my rear dropout, and it says Columbus :O Any idea which one was used for the tubing of my #101?
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I have been unable to find any 650c wheelsets for sale at sensible money in Germany (€130+!!!!) so this very nice Quintana Roo is going to be built up with a MTB wheelset and trainer tyre as a trainer mule, for the winter at least. :-(

I just need to duplicate the geometry of my TT bike and it´ll be good to go. Ah well, keeps things simple.

´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Project completed, nearly.

It´s a parts bin special. The frame is too small for me but I´ve set it up around my position so I can ride it for a bit before sale.

I sold on the old Syntace aerobar for €40 so got the frame, fork, headset and BB for €30 net.

The current bar setup is a flopped and chopped old alloy drop bar (€free), some random brake levers €5, the mounting prongs from an old PD Century clipon (€8) and a Mavic extension (free from the LBS, it had been there for 15 years, the mounting kit was lost).

Drivetrain is a parts bin special, all cribbed off donor bikes and junkers. That nice 105 rear mech is not staying on, I´m keeping that, it´ll be flipped with an older one. The old Look pedals weigh a ton but should be OK for the sale. Chain is new. 2x8 set up.

Brakes are NOS Shimano AX. I bought them €30 for another project but thought I might as well throw them on here. I need to sort them out, they´re not adjusted at the moment.

Wheelset is rear Citec (new), front Campagnolo Montreal (hardly used), €65 local eBay. Tyres are Vittoria Zaffiro, €30.

Frame is a QR Ultralight, and very nice it is too. There´s a slight ding in the top tube. Tange Ultimate tubing, stupidly light.

All in about €200. Not mega cheap but a nice bike none the less.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah the best German Refreshment in that bottle holder!!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [mikeran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take my hydration needs very seriously.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If those are the center-pull Dura Ace AX (or even regular AX centerpulls) you should be able to get good $$ for them on ebay by themselves. The market has cooled a bit due to the Tektro's that fit Zipps & similar BB based braking systems, but they still are pretty rare.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No market for Adamo AX centrepulls here, they go for very little money on german eBay.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a great looking bike! I am building up a hand-me-down TeQuilo as my first tri bike, and it is almost done... Just need to wrap the bars, but first I want to get my fit right. It is pretty cool to know that this bike was being used by my uncle for triathlons more than 10 years ago, and soon it will be back.

Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's looking really nice! Good job!

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. Project completed! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's either a Kilo, if it's ali, or possibly a "USA Special Edition" if it's steel.

I had a SE and loved it. It broke in a crash so it went to triathlon heaven. I managed to pick up another one and am slowly gathering old parts, to turn it into a museum bike to be hung on the wall. The kilo came in black and so did the SE. The SE also came in white. Not sure if the Kilo came in white.

Either way and uber cool project.

BTW, I consider bikes to be purchases, not items for sale. (I'm up to 7 bikes so far and looking for another, and then possibly a cross bike too :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you mean the 8sp "Gripshift" that came with my QR Special Edition (that I still have in a box, waiting to go on my restored QR)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

QR wheels, Shimano 600 (Ultegra) hubs, Velocity rims

Want them?

I had those wheels on my QR SE and still have them! OK so the rims have been replaced with deeper Velocity rims and the front wheel was changed to radial spoke lacing.....but they are the same wheels! (just like grandads best axe, that's had 3 handles and two new heads!). The hubs and rear spokes have almost 50,000km on them in the nearly 20 years I've been riding them!

Thanks Dan for a great bike, a great deal and a great tri experience on my QR SE. (although I did cover the American flag with a Canadian flag! :-) )

TriDork

Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. Project completed! [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinning the herd at the moment as we will soon be moving house.
As i had various tri related components in the parts bin the time was right to do another budget build, and i wanted a look at one of Dan's original frames.
I'll only make beer money from this project. The idea is also to get someone into the sport, and revive a nice but unwanted old frame.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. Project completed! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike sold today for the full asking price, to a guy looking to get into tris having lost a colossal amount of weight. So good news all round.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi do you still have these? Can't find 650c wheels anywhere in South Africa!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Rafeeq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I already gave them away.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok cool. Thank you
Quote Reply

Prev Next