Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin forerunner 920xt not measuring swim lengths (HELP)
Quote | Reply

A couple of weeks ago my Garmin Forerunner 920xt started showing some problems during my swim training. It would not count the swim lengths correctly (example: I would swim 400m and it would only count 250 or 275m). I have already checked the settings and it is set to 25m pool.

What could be the issue?

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: garmin forerunner 920xt not measuring swim lengths (HELP) [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's when I do bad flip turns, or when I don't glide off the wall sufficiently.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin forerunner 920xt not measuring swim lengths (HELP) [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
150-175m out of 400m is a lot. I can lose/gain 25 meters if I do something stupid, but the only way mine would be off like that is if I were drilling and wasn't recording those yards in drill mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the 920 counts laps based upon the acceleration from the push off the wall on a turn. I have found that sometimes during a cool down from a hard set I will get lazy with my turn and "drift" off the wall in a modified backstroke/back-float, haha. When this happens, my 920 will occasionally miss a length. I have never been as short as you are reporting, but if you are not pushing off the wall hard, this is something to think about.

If you don't think this has to do with your push off the wall, my non-expert opinion would point me towards an issue with the accelerometer in the watch. Maybe you could test this by looking at your cadence while running to see if that seems to be registering as normal. If it is not, I think that would point me towards an issue with the accelerometer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your accelerometer is dead or dying. I've never lost a length, but once in a while it will count an extra. I normally flip and I come off the wall hard, but there have been times when I did a lazy touch and go with really no wall push and the watch always catches it.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine just died late last year completely..and a friend of mines did the same thing. Perhaps this is a sign that it's dying a slow death. While it was alive like others reported, it miss a length here and there but nothing like what you're experiencing.
Quote Reply