Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin footpod calibration question
Quote | Reply
i just got a footpod and used the calibrate by gps function. When I started running, it was mostly uphill into a howling headwind. Is this going to give me a skewed calibration value?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin footpod calibration question [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably. Your best bet is to do your calibration runs on a similar surface, at a similar pace, using the same shoes as what you will use for the majority of your training. If you do that then there is actually a pretty wide zone around any of those parameters for which the footpod will give you pace and distance to within a couple percent, with great responsiveness.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely redo it, around a track it you can.

I set mine awhile back so that I could use it for indoor intervals at a quick pace and it was very close. Now that I am going a lot slower on trails under dense tree cover (bad GPS reception), I think the calibration is way off.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin footpod calibration question [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Definitely redo it, around a track it you can.

I set mine awhile back so that I could use it for indoor intervals at a quick pace and it was very close. Now that I am going a lot slower on trails under dense tree cover (bad GPS reception), I think the calibration is way off.

that's what I was thinking, i got it for the treadmill and the thing I want to use it for is quicker running, so may as well calibrate for that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so i had to do a hard reset yesterday and lost my calibration value anyway, so I used it today with the factory default setting on the treadmill. The TM and pod were 35 seconds per mile different, with the pod reading faster.

I'd love the pod to be correct, but I think I need to calibrate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just manually move it down until the speeds match if I knew that the treadmill was actually correct.

Default is 1000, just change it to 0990 and see what happens.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: garmin footpod calibration question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lord knows if the treadmill is correct. I'll try a GPS calibrate once we get roads without snow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was trying to calibrate using GPS I would run for ~half a mile then start the calibration process. By then my stride was stable and I got better results.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed my cadence is different on the treadmill vs on the road, taking bigger steps on the treadmill for some reason. The consequence then is that, when calibrating on the road, my speed on the treadmill is then reading low. This is apparently a common phenomenon.

So just calibrate your footpod on the treadmill at the most relevant speed. If you want to know if your treadmill is high or low, you can put your bike on it and compare treadmill vs bike reported speed. For my Sole there was zero difference .

Quote | Reply
I find that the calibration only works for a certain pace (for me). So, if I play with it until it's correct at a 7:30/mi pace (by testing it on a track or via GPS, I've tried both...and even manually tweaking the calibration number up and down), it will be wrong at 7:00 and wrong at 8:30 (by a pretty significant margin), but generally close around 7:30. If you change up your cadence that can also cause inaccuracies. I finally realized that I shouldn't spend too much time trying to be too precise with it.

So, running on a treadmill with the footpod is tough and I usually find that the treadmills are more accurate than the Garmin, unless I do the entire run (including warm up and cool down) at that one pace (which I rarely do).

Outside, I set my watch to autolap for 0.5 or 1 mi increments and I keep an eye on the lap pace, as well as the current pace. If I am running an important race like a marathon, I try to tweak the calibration to be correct at marathon pace.

That might be more info than you wanted :)
Quote Reply
Re: garmin footpod calibration question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
When I was trying to calibrate using GPS I would run for ~half a mile then start the calibration process. By then my stride was stable and I got better results.

jaretj
^^ This. Your gait (mine, at least) is generally not representative for the first couple of minutes of any run.

Less is more.
Quote Reply