Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin fenix question
Quote | Reply
on my runs home from work its been taking my watch a long time to acquire a satellite reception, usually dont have time to wait for it so i just start anyways. my question is if while its searching i hit the skip button just so the time starts ( i take the same route so know the mileage and such) when i come to an area with better signal will it connect or not. my runs start by the water under bridges and tall buildings which is why i think it has a hard time acquiring.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin fenix question [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What model do you have? I had the two a bit ago and had the same problems running from downtown. It would catch up later in my run but sometimes the data was off. I would Sit the watch next to a window like an hour or so before you leave and let it find you. I did this and the watch was able to find me quicker when I was ready to run.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have the 3, never had a problem with it taking too long to find satellites. However, if it is still searching I can go ahead and start whatever I am doing and it will do it's best to track me while also continuing to figure out the satellite fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe. GPS works via triangulation. So if you're moving, that presents a problem. It's not insurmountable, but it's an issue.

Garmins also use "Hot Fix" - which means it's expecting you to be in a certain position (where you last finished) - which is going to be skewed as well if you start moving.

You can set up a field on your watch for "GPS Position Accuracy." Then see how that value changes throughout your run.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, if you haven't sync'ed your watch in a while, the satellite data in the watch is probably out of date. That will also slow things down. With up to date satellite data, the watch will get a fix much quicker.

Quote | Reply
i have the fenix 2, during the week i start downtown and end at home, probably why i have no issues getting a signal when im home but from work usually not the case. but if i press skip so i can start the watch will it continue to look for a signal or just use the internal accelerometer
Quote Reply
Re: garmin fenix question [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which fenix do you have and what's the firmware it's running on?! if my takes maybe 5-10 seconds to get signal and sometimes I almost think that's a long time but it isn't!!! currently have a F3 with firmware on 8.20 without taking more than 10 seconds to receive signal, glonass on and recording at every second.

check to see if you need any firmware updates first before moving to something else! F3 have a very good signal 97% of times!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in downtown SF and have issues with my Fenix2 finding satellites. My typical route is 1/2 a mile to the water and it rarely picks up the signal before I get there.

Unfortunately I have now just given up on using the Fenix2 when in the city and use Strava on my phone instead.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: garmin fenix question [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downtown? Tall buildings? Mine doesn't like trees, tall buildings, canyons....whatever satellite it's trying to lock on must be fairly close to the horizon. I would think the reception wouldn't matter like that...but it does.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin fenix question [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Tall buildings - the Salesforce Tower is right across the street and is 970 ft tall.

I don't understand why the GPS on my phone works so well.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I don't get it either---it's mitigated somewhat by using a footpod. That way you get a more consistent mileage/pace as long as it's calibrated reasonably well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 910 use to do the same thing. My 735 is much better.

To your question, my 910 would do some crazy things the first half mile but would lock in an stabilize by mile one once I was clear of the buildings.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin fenix question [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Maybe. GPS works via triangulation. So if you're moving, that presents a problem. It's not insurmountable, but it's an issue.

Garmins also use "Hot Fix" - which means it's expecting you to be in a certain position (where you last finished) - which is going to be skewed as well if you start moving.

You can set up a field on your watch for "GPS Position Accuracy." Then see how that value changes throughout your run.

Not really.....
Hot Fix is a method that predicts satellite position by downloading extra data and using it to more quickly get a satellite fix. So, as long as you're in the same general area that uses the same satellites, hot fix will quicken the time for a satellite fix.

Getting a fix while moving is not dramatically tougher than when still. I drive to the start of our group run, and start my Fenix 3 sat acquisition when I get in the car. I always have a great fix by the time I get to the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Yes. Tall buildings - the Salesforce Tower is right across the street and is 970 ft tall.

I don't understand why the GPS on my phone works so well.

Because cell phone use cell tower triangulation as well...apparently.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so on my run home yesterday i waited a minute for the watch to get a signal, it did not so i skipped it and started anyways, about half mile down the path i was under a bridge and the watch beeped and said it lost satellite signal, so i guess in that half mile it did acquire a signal but then lost it. also i noticed on connect that the data of my run was the total distance i ran, but the start on the map is a .25 mile from where i started, assuming thats where the satellite got acquired
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the fenix 2, but the fenix 3 can save a location. If it knows where it is, it's easier to get a GPS lock. Can you do something like that with the 2?
Quote Reply