Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts
Quote | Reply
I've started incorporating some interval track workouts to help me get faster and just keep my workouts more interesting. One workout I particularly like will have intervals stating run 400m 15 seconds faster than your 5k pace. WIth my garmin it seems nearly impossible to get an accurate pace in that short of an interval. Especially at the first 150 to 200m the pace bounces all over the place. I've been just going by feel for the most part. How are others handling this? I have an older garmin 310. I could see if it's instant pace is better.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For intervals that short you need a track (or at least a similar distance loop). Then you just measure time and do some division.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
For intervals that short you need a track (or at least a similar distance loop). Then you just measure time and do some division.

I am running on a track. It's just when I'm running a 400m interval I'm trying to figure out, as I'm running, if I'm hitting my target pace. going by feel is not terrible for me. and if I'm a little fast it's okay.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 920xt takes a little distance to get the pace adjusted. It's kind of like it picks a point a certain distance behind you (100m or so) and uses that for distance. Also, going around the curves affects the accuracy, depending on where it gets the GPS reading.

One way to get accurate splits for a lap is to start at the 50 yard line (or middle of the straightaway) and check your time at each quarter of a lap, at the goal posts (or middle of the curve) and at half a lap. For example, if you want a 6 minute pace, you should hit the middle of the first curve at 22.5 seconds, 45 seconds at half a lap, 67.5 seconds in the middle of the second curve, and 90 seconds on the lap. You can hit the lap counter (using manual laps) and display interval time if you want to see the same numbers for every lap. It's probably good enough to check the time every half lap and forget the quarter-lap times.
Last edited by: xpda: May 2, 16 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly no expert but I ditched the GPSfor my rare track workouts. I just use the 910 Asa timer and judge my pace at the 1/4 marks. Too slow and I speed up. Too fast slow down. This also gave me a better feel for pacing. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I'm certainly no expert but I ditched the GPSfor my rare track workouts. I just use the 910 Asa timer and judge my pace at the 1/4 marks. Too slow and I speed up. Too fast slow down. This also gave me a better feel for pacing. YMMV

This exactly. When running on the track ignore all distance and pace from your watch.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use lap pace. it tends to work better than instant pace on my 910. it still sucks for the first 100-200 meters though, after that its pretty close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#triathleteproblems
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait track runners don't use GPS?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [bmullin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmullin wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

This exactly. When running on the track ignore all distance and pace from your watch.

You would think that a tool like a Garmin will help the runner learn how to pace themselves but in my experience, the opposite is true. It becomes a crutch. The more runners use it, the more they seem to be dependent upon it. It becomes a distraction

Learning how to pace yourself by feel is a critical runner's skill. You need to be able to make minute adjustments without the comfort of having a GPS there to tell you how you are doing every few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
bmullin wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

You would think that a tool like a Garmin will help the runner learn how to pace themselves but in my experience, the opposite is true. It becomes a crutch. The more runners use it, the more they seem to be dependent upon it. It becomes a distraction

Learning how to pace yourself by feel is a critical runner's skill. You need to be able to make minute adjustments without the comfort of having a GPS there to tell you how you are doing every few seconds.

I really am mostly a feel running. And since the garmin doesn't give me good instant pacing for my speed work I've had to go by feel. And definitely when racing I go more by feel than anything else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin instant pace is kind of a joke. Always has been. It tries to be clever about it but fails badly. They should just let us control the feature like we can choose 3s or 10s power average. Let us set the distance or time interval to use in calculating the instant pace and let everyone tweak that until they are happy with how it behaves. Wouldn't that work?
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. It's not working great in my case. I just like using my garmin for these workouts since I create an interval workout in garmin connect and start it on my garmin and it just chirps at me when I need to sprint or rest or whatever. No thought. Just go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do all my interval work on the treadmill.
The pace is the same for all the intervals and there is no guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
bmullin wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Yeah, this is an excellent point. In my first IM, I left my Garmin on the bike (use the QR mount to switch between the bike and run). Was ahead of my "best case" scenario when I set off on the run....and had no idea how fast I was running. Even thoughI was running at a pace that I felt was "easy", I was almost 1 min / mile faster than my most ambitious goal pace. I simply could not properly gauge my effort....

Needless to say, I blew up after 11 miles....that was a long ass walk for the next 15.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
#triathleteproblems

Wait, the OP is simply asking how it is possible to assess your pace when running on a track that is clearly marked every 100 meters.

Clearly, this is what GPS watches were invented for.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
logella wrote:
#triathleteproblems

Wait, the OP is simply asking how it is possible to assess your pace when running on a track that is clearly marked every 100 meters.

I sense sarcasm. ;)

I prefer to let the gps watch that I paid $400 for do the math for me and let me focus on the strenuous exercise. But in this case, the instant pace is sufficient so I'll just rely mostly on feel.
Quote Reply
Re: garmin 920xt instant pace and interval running workouts [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Garmin instant pace is kind of a joke. Always has been. It tries to be clever about it but fails badly. They should just let us control the feature like we can choose 3s or 10s power average. Let us set the distance or time interval to use in calculating the instant pace and let everyone tweak that until they are happy with how it behaves. Wouldn't that work?
I don't think so.
That might be a nice option but I'm not sure it would any real improvement in output. It depends how Garmin currently calculate their pace value. I presume it's a rolling average but I don't know if the period is fixed or if it varies depending on prevailing GPS accuracy. If it's fixed then your suggestion would work insofar as it would allow athletes tailor it to their preference for accuracy versus response time. Of course it would be a trade off and no doubt many users would miss that fact. I suspect there'd be lots of complaints about terrible accuracy from those who'd ramped up the response time, So you'd just replace one criticism with another. However, it may be that the calculation varies the period based on prevailing GPS accuracy and allowing a direct user setting of the period would then be detrimental and pointless.

Garmin's Instant pace gets a lot of criticism but as far as I can see this is really just a function of the GPS accuracy, so unless the accuracy improves dramatically, the instant pace value simply can't!
I'm on my 3rd watch (920XT) after about 8 years using a 305 and then a 910XT. I've always just used lap pace, HR and feel for pacing. As everyone else has said, on a track it would seem obvious to use distance markers/reference positions to determine pace if you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
logella wrote:
#triathleteproblems

I sense sarcasm. ;)

I prefer to let the gps watch that I paid $400 for do the math for me and let me focus on the strenuous exercise. But in this case, the instant pace is sufficient so I'll just rely mostly on feel.

You have sensed correctly :-O

I think it's actually a good thing to be able to run on feel. It will help you in races.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply