Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

follow up tubular question...
Quote | Reply
currently running 19's front and back, but notice there is a trend to putting something more along the lines of a 22 or 23 on the back. Does this give you more stability (never spun out on a bicycle, so power transfer shouldn't be the reason) when cornering? Just wondering if there is something that I am missing here. Could it be that the slightly wider tire forms a "slightly" more aero fit with the rear wheel?

Lance

Quote | Reply
The theory I have heard is that the wider rear tire gives you more protection against flats. You tend to get more flats on the rear tire anyway. The wider tire is probably less aero, but by the time the airflow gets to the back of the bike, it is unlikely to make much of a difference. Wider tires are a little more comfortable, but I couldn't comment on handling differences.

I haven't developed a personal preference yet.
Quote Reply
Re: follow up tubular question... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that makes sense. Now that you mention it, I remember a post about USPS not running the HED 3D during last years TDF because they wanted to run wider tires for protection against punctures and it wouldn't clear the frame as it was designed to work with 19mm rear on the Trek frame. Talk about tight tolerances!

Lance

Quote | Reply
Wider tyres have more air in them, and are therefore more comfortable over the long haul. They also (may) more closely approximate the width of the rim, potentially giving them an aero advantage over a skinny tyre that ends abruptly at the rim. But most people run them for comfort.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply