Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fitting a road bike for both normal use and triathlons?
Quote | Reply
I'm a fairly casual runner, cyclist, and swimmer who just did his first triathlon (Wildflower Olympic) and I'm hooked, will definitely do more Olympic, a 70.3 down the road, and perhaps a full IM eventually, though we'll see. I've been riding a hand-me-down 1990s steel frame road bike until recently, when I picked up a very lightly used 2013 Roubaix outfitted with a mix of 105 and Tiagra after test-riding a few different bikes, big fan of finally riding a 21st century bike. I've been planning to get a professional fitting through a local guy who seems to be well-regarded and books through the local Specialized shop, but I figured I'd tweak the fit myself and ride it for some months before I did that. Here's my question: how does occasional triathlon use factor into a fit? In other words, would I want two fits dialed in, a regular road biking fit and an aerobar-enabled triathlon fit?
Quote Reply
Re: fitting a road bike for both normal use and triathlons? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.redshiftsports.com/switch-aero-system/

This makes switching fairly simple, honestly though, I keep my seat post forward even when I ride primarily on the hoods.
Quote Reply
Re: fitting a road bike for both normal use and triathlons? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5587934

from 9 days ago
Last edited by: jaretj: Jun 22, 15 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are people who pull off the double fit on a single bike but there will definitely be some compromise. It really depends on how serious you are going to be with regards to competing and training. Its a good idea, in my opinion for training. Especially if you have a seat and bars that are easily adjustable. Now if you want to get pretty serious then eventually you will want a race bike that is fit-tuned to your specific race position. Many people just train sparingly on the race bike and spend most of their training time on a roadie or roadie with aerobars attached. I would recommend trying to make one bike work for your first season or 2 and then when you have a better idea of what you like in a bike, how you train, what races you will target, competitiveness etc, etc, etc......then you can spend some money on a Race Bike. Take your time building that race engine(your physiology) than you can focus on what surrounds it.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: fitting a road bike for both normal use and triathlons? [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
http://www.redshiftsports.com/switch-aero-system/ This makes switching fairly simple, honestly though, I keep my seat post forward even when I ride primarily on the hoods.

That looks promising! I wonder how a fitter would react to being asked to dial in two different fits with a device like this? At least a conversation worth having with them, even if they were only dialing in a primary fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fitter didn't have an issue doing both fits in the same session. There are only centimeters of difference, mind you, between the fits so it isn't huge. The most annoying part was listening to them lecture me about how I won't get a perfect triathlon fit - which I get but you go to battle with what you have, not what you want to have. I got a decent triathlon fit, BTW, but not totally 'in the green' according to retul.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
patsullivan6630 wrote:
http://www.redshiftsports.com/switch-aero-system/ This makes switching fairly simple, honestly though, I keep my seat post forward even when I ride primarily on the hoods.

That looks promising! I wonder how a fitter would react to being asked to dial in two different fits with a device like this? At least a conversation worth having with them, even if they were only dialing in a primary fit.

I came here to link to redshift but someone beat me to it. I got the seat post last year when I was just getting into tris and when I went to get a proper aero fit, the fitter confirmed there is virtually no difference between positions and the pedals. The "back" position drops a bit and the "front" position raises a little, so the distance to pedal is just about the same (I'd be surprised if it were even multiple centimeters - the fitter checked twice).

If you're looking for flexibility, the redshift system is pretty rad. I've thought about taking the perma aero bars off my road bike and getting the redshift clip ons, but that'd just be spending money to spend money, so it's not really a priority.
Quote Reply
Re: fitting a road bike for both normal use and triathlons? [pmiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to bite the bullet on the Redshift Sports Switch setup, looks great. The 60-70g weight savings for the carbon aerobars is trivial, right? I'm a little torn between the aluminum and carbon option, and while the carbon looks cool, it won't show much of I put some grip tape on anyway. I figure the soon-to-come carbon seatpost will be considerably more expensive, so not worried about waiting for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed the Redshift Switch setup on my bike last night, both the dual-position seatpost and quick-release aerobars, and took them for a quick ride down the coast. I'm extremely impressed, a beautifully engineered, very well built, highly functional product. My two major initial concerns turned out to be unfounded once I got the gear on the bike: There seemed to be play between the aerobars and mounting hardware, but the quick-release provides clamping action that eliminates that. And the seatpost action was very stiff off the bike, but while riding I found it quite easy to switch between positions, yet each position felt solid. The amount of position shift enabled by the seatpost seems just right to dial in two highly functional positions. I'll try to update once I get more experience, but so far, I'm as happy as I could be with this product.
Last edited by: niccolo: Jul 12, 15 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm some interesting input on here, some of it quite expensive.

My two pennies worth - when I only had a road bike I made some changes to accomodate a tri position. Clip on bars, but also I moved the seat forward and put a slightly longer stem on, and lowered the front. I just rode that thing all the time. Then I bought a TT bike. I eventually took the tri bars off the road bike, but left everything else as it was. I've never felt the need to raise the bars or push the seat back, never even occurred to me. In fact reading this thread is the first time I ever considered the point. And I live somewhere really hilly and have done all sorts of riding on it like that, including the notorious Fred Whitton challenge.

I mean, its a road bike. I can sit on it and pedal and reach my hoods and drops well enough. Perhaps I'm not making it complicated enough...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike fit all dialed in, with Redshift Switch seatpost and aerobars, for tomorrow's tri...

Strike that, I guess there really is no way to post an image for which there's no URL. :(
Last edited by: niccolo: Sep 11, 15 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't find the other thread where I discussed my Redshift Switch moveable seatpost and clip-on aerobar experience, but I'd promised an update once I got my fit dialed in with my fitter, so posting it here.

For a while, it looked like we were going to have to dial in slightly different seat heights for the road and tri positions, which would have undercut the switch-on-the-fly functionality of the system. But for now, we've decided one compromise position is feasible. The knee angle is a degree, or just a hair more, more closed in the tri than in the road position, consistent with what others have reported (the Redshift system brings the saddle both forward and up, but not quite enough to keep the knee angle identical). But that seems to be workable.

The other update is on the saddle front. The road/tri functionality depends on a saddle that performs well in both positions. I've demoed a boatload of saddles over the past months, including most of the Cobb saddles, via their 90-day trial period, and a couple Specialized ones (Sitero, a few Powers, the Toupe that came on my road bike) my fitter had, and my old favorite road saddle (Selle Italia Flyte). The clear winner was the Cobb JOF Randee. The nose is wide enough to support a tri position, though for a pure tri saddle it might be a touch wider, and just narrow enough not to chafe the thighs in road position, and it lines up with my anatomy well, while being on the cushier end of things (I just couldn't get used to the bone-bruising feeling of the Specialized saddles, even if I understand the circulation-promoting logic of hitting the bone structure that way). The Randee isn't saddle-topia for me, but paraphrasing Winston Churchill about democracy, it's the worst saddle, except for all the others. That's actually a bit harsh, I'd probably award it an A- overall, it's the best road saddle I've used and among the best tri saddles.

I remain extremely happy with the Redshift Switch system, really an exceptionally well engineered and constructed product that functions beautifully. Kudos to the Redshift crew, and great to see them building out their product line with other offerings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good feedback. Glad the system worked for you.
Quote Reply