Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fitters ... ISO article / pictoral that explains exactly where to put bike fit "joint dots"
Quote | Reply
Those little sticky dots that the fitter places on your elbow, shoulder, hip and ankle. What I'm after is a page, article, or other clear layman-friendly explanation that shows exactly where these points are.

This is to compare pics of my former fit, with properly placed dots, taken a few years back, to pictures taken today after I've had to screw around with the saddle placement and try to get it back to baseline.

I want these to be the same.
Quote Reply
Re: fitters ... ISO article / pictoral that explains exactly where to put bike fit "joint dots" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per Retul:
The rider is prepared for 3D Motion Capture by marking the following eight bilateral anatomical structures with infrared markers: Head of 5th Metatarsal Head (ball of foot), Distal end of Calcaneous (heel), Lateral Malleolus (ankle), Lateral Femoral Condyle (knee), Greater Trochanter (hip), Acromion (shoulder), Lateral Epicondyle (Elbow), Dorsum (upside) of wrist joint.

You can find all these points on Google Images, but here's an overview:

Lateral Malleolus (ankle) - that big round bone on the outside of your ankle

Lateral Femoral Condyle (knee) - the outside of your knee, the bump at the end of your femur

Greater Trochanter (hip) - much harder to see than the other two (esp. since it's under clothing); basically if it's placed correctly the dot shouldn't move as you pedal

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: fitters ... ISO article / pictoral that explains exactly where to put bike fit "joint dots" [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for this - it's very helpful and I appreciate you putting it together.
Quote Reply
Re: fitters ... ISO article / pictoral that explains exactly where to put bike fit "joint dots" [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Per Retul:
The rider is prepared for 3D Motion Capture by marking the following eight bilateral anatomical structures with infrared markers: Head of 5th Metatarsal Head (ball of foot), Distal end of Calcaneous (heel), Lateral Malleolus (ankle), Lateral Femoral Condyle (knee), Greater Trochanter (hip), Acromion (shoulder), Lateral Epicondyle (Elbow), Dorsum (upside) of wrist joint.

You can find all these points on Google Images, but here's an overview:

Lateral Malleolus (ankle) - that big round bone on the outside of your ankle

Lateral Femoral Condyle (knee) - the outside of your knee, the bump at the end of your femur

Greater Trochanter (hip) - much harder to see than the other two (esp. since it's under clothing); basically if it's placed correctly the dot shouldn't move as you pedal
Only problem with using Retul's guidance as a means of doing Dartfish-style measurements is that finding the femoral condyle, trochanter, 5th met, and the head of the acromion require palpation. For all but the leanest of riders, you won't be able to visually use these points and get accurate measurements that fall within Retul's ranges.

Instead, use the center of the joint for the hip, knee, and shoulder.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply