Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising
Quote | Reply
Have we laid that to bed for good? nailed the coffin shut? Gave it the old heave ho once and for all?

Haven't seen or heard anyone bring it up in ages. (thankfully)

Anyone still holding onto that belief or any coaches still preaching that?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 13, 14 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Have we laid that to bed for good? nailed the coffin shut? Gave it the old heave ho once and for all?

I hate to point out the irony here....;)

But yeah, I still believe it. #teamfat

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's still around and being discussed on most of the triathlon/endurance sports nutrition and training podcasts I listen to at least (IM Talk, Endurance Planet, act.). Matt Fitzgerald's new book on sport nutrition certainly gets back tot he higher carbohydrate model for performance training and racing as opposed to high fat. I think metabolic efficiency is a real thing, I don't think that always means fasted training or carb restricted training/high fat diets, though. I also think a higher fat diet is healthy but often gets lumped in severely carb restricted diets and ketosis, which I think is way too extreme.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when I decide against clinchers for tubulars and start racing criteriums for training using maffetone HRs while perfecting a 2-beat kick supplemented by 4x weight training sessions and getting most of my caloric intake after 830pm.
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [Birdmantris & Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since both you guys believe in it and I can find no scientific research backing it other than eating a higher fat diet to burn more fat at all intensities, and that Seehobar and Matt to my knowledge have no scientific evidence and in light of these two research pieces (One by Burke who has probably done more research on it than any other researcher and was a HUGE proponent of it for close to a decade) can you guys point to the research that Fitzgerald et al are using. I've never gotten a response from any coach that I've asked for the research other than a FU ahole (actually I've gotten that 2x). I'm not saying this doesn't exist or won't be discovered x or xx yrs from now, I'm saying there is no research proving it does exist or is true.

Here's summaries saying it's much to do about nothing if you guys can point me to the stuff they are using that says opposite I'd love to read it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4008806/
http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7

I feel it was the flavor of the day stuff designed to milk people, er sell coaching.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 13, 14 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I can't. Or at least I'm not willing to look for any at the moment. Like Bryan said, metabolic efficiency is obviously a real thing. I don't know what kind of effect training it has for the population at large, but mine has improved with focus (based on metabolic testing). But maybe I'm just genetically predisposed to efficient fat-burning. I don't know. Don't particularly care how well it works for others either, as long as it works for me.

Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
metabolic efficiency is obviously a real thing

I've looked. Good luck when you look. Obviously is a really, really strong word when no research supports it.

Did you change your diet? What were the testing protocols? I know one pro triathlete/coach tested pre season and then 3mo later at the same watts and said he was burning more fat at that wattage. Technically he was right but he was also working at a lower % of FTP (or he is a really bad coach if he can't raise FTP in 3mo).

How can you be so sure it's obviously real when stacked against almost 2 decades of research going against from researchers like people like Costill, Hargreaves, Houmard, Burke, Noakes (although he said that increased fitness couldn't be ruled out as a reason why CHO metabolism went down) etc?

Look all I'm asking for is for someone, anyone show me some scientific proof vs the obviously or I know it works bc I'm fitter stuff.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 13, 14 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I mean when I say "metabolic efficiency" is that different people utilize amounts of fat at different intensities. Efficiency referencing your ability to spare glycogen. So yeah, that's a real measurable thing. Sorry for any confusion. Ill answer the rest when I'm not on a phone

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Since both you guys believe in it and I can find no scientific research backing it other than eating a higher fat diet to burn more fat at all intensities, and that Seehobar and Matt to my knowledge have no scientific evidence and in light of these two research pieces (One by Burke who has probably done more research on it than any other researcher and was a HUGE proponent of it for close to a decade) can you guys point to the research that Fitzgerald et al are using. I've never gotten a response from any coach that I've asked for the research other than a FU ahole (actually I've gotten that 2x). I'm not saying this doesn't exist or won't be discovered x or xx yrs from now, I'm saying there is no research proving it does exist or is true.

Here's summaries saying it's much to do about nothing if you guys can point me to the stuff they are using that says opposite I'd love to read it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4008806/
http://jap.physiology.org/content/100/1/7

I feel it was the flavor of the day stuff designed to milk people, er sell coaching.

No, that's not what I said. I said I think a higher fat, not a restrictive no carb diet, can be healthy and has health benefits that have nothing to do with sports performance. And the concept of metabolic efficiency is more then just fat utilization. And now you are going to make me look for the studies done, as there have been some recently. I'm not advocating, just responding to what you wrote.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Agreed with you....if staying in the "fat burning zone" worked, would every body builder not be "fat" ? They seem to get plenty lean with very little aerobic training compared to us.
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tamsin Lewis was recently on IM Talk discussing this topic and some of the recent research as I recall. Again, I think people confuse this term "metabolic efficiency" or "high fat" diets with the ketosis nut jobs who eat less then 200g of carbohydrate a day and call it healthy. I certainly don't think it's healthy at all or conducive to quality training. I think a balanced diet is better although I do think a lot of A'ers eat way to much sugar based carbohydrate while training and recovering.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think a higher fat, not a restrictive no carb diet, can be healthy and has health benefits that have nothing to do with sports performance

That I can agree with.

I'm strictly speaking from a performance standpoint, from say working out a % FTP in order to become more efficient or running at pace X or Y in order to perform better bc you'll teach you body to utilize a greater % of fat. That sort of thing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I think a higher fat, not a restrictive no carb diet, can be healthy and has health benefits that have nothing to do with sports performance

That I can agree with.

I'm strictly speaking from a performance standpoint, from say working out a % FTP in order to become more efficient or running at pace X or Y in order to perform better bc you'll teach you body to utilize a greater % of fat. That sort of thing.

And I agree with that and it's what Matt's book addresses. Carbohydrate is required for performance. Can you strain exclusively with fat and some protein? Sure, but you won't be going very fast.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Dr. Tamsin Lewis was recently on IM Talk discussing this topic and some of the recent research as I recall. Again, I think people confuse this term "metabolic efficiency" or "high fat" diets with the ketosis nut jobs who eat less then 200g of carbohydrate a day and call it healthy. I certainly don't think it's healthy at all or conducive to quality training. I think a balanced diet is better although I do think a lot of A'ers eat way to much sugar based carbohydrate while training and recovering.

LOL...agreed on the sugar part. I was working in a trade show last week with sweets, chocolate and soda all around as the only nutrition source...managed to gain 3 lbs eating stuff I rarely eat. Back to "real food" now and should be back to normal soon in terms of weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not dead in Dallas. My old coach that I've talked with you about in the past still advocates training at easy efforts based on HR to build "metabolic efficiency." I still get weekly team emails reminding people not to go too hard on long rides and runs because then they won't build metabolic efficiency. He's never advocated diet changes or pointed to research. He's gotten several people (including myself) to 70.3 worlds now by pushing that emphasis so people still listen.
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krull_etc wrote:
Not dead in Dallas. My old coach that I've talked with you about in the past still advocates training at easy efforts based on HR to build "metabolic efficiency." I still get weekly team emails reminding people not to go too hard on long rides and runs because then they won't build metabolic efficiency. He's never advocated diet changes or pointed to research. He's gotten several people (including myself) to 70.3 worlds now by pushing that emphasis so people still listen.

I don't think that is what Brian is asking about. He's talking about high fat/carbohydrate restricted training as a means for making a person better at utilizing fat as an energy source instead if a reliance on carbohydrate. What you are referring is aerobic efficiency.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krull_etc wrote:

He might be getting you guys to championships this way by just keeping your easy days easy so you can push harder on hard days, rather than some magical efficiency that materializes from training easier. Also training easier allows one to do more volume and potentially more overall training load (you can up your FTP by riding RAAM too, but it takes a shit load of time and most of us don't have it). There is also some value in making people run slower than they want to, so that they can do more overall run volume by not getting injured. But that's all different from some magical efficiency that comes about from training slower. Training slower simply allows us to do more volume, but when you have maximized time, or are limited on time (fixed time), training harder for that fixed time on the aggregate will make one faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an n=1 type of thing but the guy at least had himself tested:

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/...to-fat-for-your-fuel

Short version:
-supplements: no change
-high fat: possible but the cost/benefit simply isn't there (your fat intake would have to be so high as to risk metabolic disorder)
-zero cal training: effective.

Some excerpts from the article below:

Quote:
During the days of eating a high-fat diet, I reached a fat-burning rate of 1.2 grams per minute at Ironman pace, confirming the theory that a high-fat diet shifts your body’s reliance on fat for fuel, but my rate shifted back down to 0.8 grams per minute after two days of carbo loading. It seemed the protocol had no effect on me.

I began to implement them back in 2007, and at first I could scarcely go for one-and-a-half hours before I bonked. But as my body adapted, I was able to ride three, four or five hours on water alone. This approach has a big effect in activating the genes that stimulate the production of enzymes involved in fat oxidation, as shown in a 2005 study by L.J Cluberton et al. In other words, the water-only rides might be the reason my ability to burn fat was already so high when I did the periodized diet experiment.

My scientific team and I tested the water-only approach and found that during these rides, I would burn fat at a rate of 1.2 grams per minute—similar to the fat burning rate I achieved after high-fat eating on my periodization diet. This indicated that the training stimuli of the water-only rides were the same as those in a high-fat diet. Plus, these rides were far more practical and didn’t sacrifice my ability to do intense workouts and properly digest my food.

My own (probably worthless) $0.02 is that this is probably too much of a balancing act for the average and even above-average age-grouper and it is a balancing act only applicable to top level athletes who have access to regular metabolic testing etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it has been shown that having a high sugar/carbohydrate meal prior to starting training does cause an insulin response where our bodies utilize that readily available energy source in our blood and liver glycogen. If you avoid that and start training in a semi fasted state, at a very moderate effort, once you deplete glycogen fat becomes the primary source of energy. Whether or not that can be trained is the question, and to what ends.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, he explicitly says keeping it easy to help you get better at burning fat. 1 day of bike intervals or moderate tempo, the rest below x HR to get better at burning fat. running has a 2 days of intensity, and rest easy to burn fat. Its polarized training, but doing it with an explicit focus to do lots of easy to "get more efficient at burning fat."
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that's essentially the conclusion I came to after I went to desert dude this spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the type of research you're looking for? I know this is has a n=1, but are you looking for this done on a larger, more controlled scale? Sami was comparing the ability to hold power for a length of time and how his higher fat diet influenced that. http://www.samiinkinen.com/...riathlete-fat-chance

I posted here about this same thing about a week ago and didn't get much back after reading Sami's blog post. I'm trying to see if a higher fat diet with a more polarized training plan will help me to be more successful at IM racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

The only data I can provide is that I got tested in 2010 at the National Training Center in Clermont.
I had a ridiculously high % of fat burned, even when I crossed lactic threshold. I never crossed over between fats to carbs.

But this is 100% due to diet. Being diabetic (as you know) I was eating ridiculously low amounts of carbs per day. Maybe 10-15% of my calories. Unhealthy, but I was obsessed about my glucose levels.

I am 100% sure my "efficiency" had nothing to do with training paces as I would always train too fast. I had no concept of running easy it was always hard. It was a stupid way of training but I didn't know better.

So it was completely diet related.

The ability to run on so few carbs, while "theoretically" great came at a cost that people would be silly to pay.

The first time I went under 5h for a HIM (2011) I did it on 290 calories total.

I should go back and get tested because my diet has changed. I do take more carbs, they are just timed very differently. All after workouts and all after noon.
Quote Reply
Re: fat metabolism aka teaching your body to burn more fat while exercising [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! I'm also t1d. I've had no problems eating high cards diets or low carb diets (regarding bg levels). What I realized is that while being on a low carb/high fat diet my "bonk" point shifted from 1-2h to 5-6h (just training on water) on a "moderate" level. I also realized my body composition improved a lot while being on moderate/low carbs (along with my insulin sensibility). I guess the best of both worlds comes when you learn how and when to get the right amount of carbs on the right time during your training season (or session).
There is a guy here, called Vinnie, who also finds this kind of diet better (for diabetic and athletic purposes). He was a pro and now is coaching. Head to ironguides.net, there you can find some articles regarding this kind of diet.

Btw, I'm not saying this is the ONLY AND BEST DIET EVER. I understand that different things work for different people, so just try and learn what works best for (any of) you! What worked/works for me might not work for you.

Good luck!

Stefano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I've never gotten a response from any coach that I've asked for the research other than a FU ahole (actually I've gotten that 2x).

I agree with the flavor of the day comment. Maybe you've already gotten no response or an FU from one of these guys but Mark Allen and Phil Maffetone have been using this approach for decades. I remember an article in Outside magazine in the early/mid 90s where Allen talked about his heart rate training philosophy and how it taught his body how to burn fat. I don't recall them talking about diet alteration or higher fat diets but rather using the already abundant source of fat on even the leanest athlete. I think it's kind of a coincidence; as you get fitter you can naturally do X watts at a lower heart rate and lower heart rates happen to fall into the fat burning vs carb burning zone so voila, you are now burning fat.
Last edited by: Chris Martin: Sep 13, 14 13:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next