Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fastest 28mm tire
Quote | Reply
I'm keen to get a 28mm tire for the rear due to the road conditions. I'd like to know which tires have the lowest rolling resistance. What do you all say?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gp4000s ii is probably a good bet.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazon only has those up to a 25.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
The gp4000s ii is probably a good bet.

the 25c version of that is really big for a 25, so you might just use the 25

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 28mm version is still not out yet. The Cotinental website indicates that these will be released in "Spring 2015."

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real tire width somewhat depends on rim width. If you put a 25 on something like a 303 or Ardennes+ it should be wider and "flatter" than on narrower rim.

That said, the 27 Vittoria Pave open tubular is my new favorite non-race tire. Realize that isn't the question asked, but there you go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwable make a 28mm in quite a number of their top line tyres
The Schwable One, the Ultremo ZX both have a 28mm, the Ironman has a 24mm and there aren't many tyres out there that are any faster than that trio.
I'm just about 100 kg ( 220 lbs) and have a '14 P3 on front 23mm , rear 25mm Schwable One and am more than happy with the comfort on the crappy chip seal roads around here and am pretty sure bigger tyres wouldn't fit anyway.

But next time around, I may try a 25/28mm combo on the roadie.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultremo ZX are nice tyres, I'm using them in 28 mm. However, they have decent puncture protection, so there might be faster tyres... Schwalbe has a system on their website where they list different properties of the tyre (speed, grip, protection , durability)

http://www.schwalbetires.com/...ing_tires/ultremo_zx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the Schwalbe Durano for the Paris Roubaix Sportive this year and the were mint. Decent rolling and no punctures! :-)

If I'm not mistaken Specialized makes a 25/28 mm Roubaix tire. I've ridden a previous iteration and they were also very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gp 4000s in 25mm on a 23mm rim ie Ardennes runs at 27mm,
And opens out to 27.3mm over a short time...
Run that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used open pave tires for this very purpose. Fast rolling, but not the most durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm liking the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX right now because it's available for a modest price from planet cyclery.

I'd like to know if anyone had any data or well informed opinion on the Clement Strada LGG120 tpi version. Clement used to be a big name but I suspect they've been bought out/licensed or whatever and now are just another tire in a sea of dataless tires.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
The real tire width somewhat depends on rim width. If you put a 25 on something like a 303 or Ardennes+ it should be wider and "flatter" than on narrower rim.
That said, the 27 Vittoria Pave open tubular is my new favorite non-race tire. Realize that isn't the question asked, but there you go.

I've got a 27mm Pave on my IA and a set of the Schwalbe One 28c tires on my F1 PR. Both have been excellent.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been really impressed with the Hutchinson Sector 28 tires that I'm running tubeless on Shimano 7850 wheels. They're fast and stable, but really damp very well the impact from potholes and chip seal roads.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

X2

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Schwalbe One is probably the best compromise between decent puncture resistance and rolling resistance in a 28mm tire. They are slightly lighter and supposedly faster than the older ZX model. The only drawback to these could possibly be their aerodynamics in comparison to a GP 4000.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going with a 28 then aero doesn't really come into the conversation, especially on rear.
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
I've been really impressed with the Hutchinson Sector 28 tires that I'm running tubeless on Shimano 7850 wheels. They're fast and stable, but really damp very well the impact from potholes and chip seal roads.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know the gp4000s weren't out yet, so to actually be helpful, did you take a look at Greg k's 28mm tire write up: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_Shootout_4059.html
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Conti GP 4 Season is available in 28, however I don't know how big that runs compared to the 25C 4000S
Quote Reply
Re: fastest 28mm tire [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a review of that Conti 4 Season in 622/28:

http://velonews.competitor.com/...4-season-28mm_351086

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IRC Roadlite 25c measures 27mm on 23mm wide (Pacenti) rims. It tested very well according to Tom Anhalt:
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-compendium-of-tubeless-crr-results.html

I've been training on a pair all summer, including a lot of time riding on dirt and gravel, and they've held up really well. Fewer cuts & flats than Schwalbe One Tubeless or Specialized Roubaix Tubeless. Also, since you can run them tubeless with sealant, that can provide additional flat protection (I assume "road conditions" includes risk of flatting).
Quote Reply