Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fasted cardio
Quote | Reply
Does anyone utilize this? Any advantages to it? I have found a few articles on it by runner's world, but was curious if anyone here had any knowledge/experience with it. If I missed an old thread touching on this topic, my apologies, just point me there.
Quote Reply
Re: fasted cardio [number114] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
number114 wrote:
Does anyone utilize this? Any advantages to it? I have found a few articles on it by runner's world, but was curious if anyone here had any knowledge/experience with it. If I missed an old thread touching on this topic, my apologies, just point me there.

I do this whenever I do a morning workout: just get up and have a quick cup of black coffee while dressing, then out the door to S, B, and/or R on an empty stomach. Yesterday (Turkey-Day), I swam 5000 scy on just the black coffee, with no problems with energy levels, then straight to T-Day dinner with the family. I've just always preferred training on an empty stomach.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly all my morning runs are without food. I will always swig down a pint of gatorade beforehand. Depends on which papers you read, this may totally subvert the fast workout effect or not.
Quote Reply
Re: fasted cardio [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimming, running, no problem.

But how long can you last on the bike with just water as fuel, that is, without bonking?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: fasted cardio [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

But how long can you last on the bike with just water as fuel, that is, without bonking?

Depending on the intensity, quite awhile. Many hours if you are burning fat.
(3+ hours of Z2 sounds terrible)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive done 80 miles no food but then that is the point I get bored and want to get off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: fasted cardio [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I've done close to that as well.

But can you do that after waking up with no food upon waking and none before riding?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 6 hours or so, as mentioned if the intensity is appropriate then you can go all day. This is with just water and no food since 6pm the day before.

Does it increase fat burning? Not really, diet is far more important for this, as is training itself (fasted or not fasted). Aerobic training increases the ability to use fat as fuel. period.

Diet can influence the transport mechanisms, improving fat delivery to muscles and speed of fat breakdown at the cells due to upregulation of enzymes etc.
But, this could all be limited by your genetics if your mitochondria aren't able to increase their rate of beta-oxidation.

Fasted training can be used as a test, so the longer you can train fasted the more likely it is that your fat burning mechanisms are working well.
This does not need to be fasted, it just needs to be low carb prior to exercise to avoid an insulin spike that can force the body down glycolytic (carb burning pathways).

Plus, fasted training is great for the psychology of you being in control of your own body!

Running analysis based in Leeds UK.
http://www.trimechanics.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read quite a few blogs of pro triathletes. Fasted, easy runs first thing in the morning seem to be a staple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
swimming, running, no problem. But how long can you last on the bike with just water as fuel, that is, without bonking?

Not sure about the bike but I have run 22 miles on nothing but water, and I've swum 12,000 scy straight with no water or fuel.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: fasted cardio [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Depending on the intensity, quite awhile. Many hours if you are burning fat.
(3+ hours of Z2 sounds terrible)

I think you can put a number on it roughly. Assuming bonking is when you have a complete fuel shortage-melt down (ie glycogen runs out), you have full glycogen stores of ~2000kcals and you are in around your optimal aerobic pace with an RER of .85 (burning ~50% CHO/50% Fat).

Then: If you ride at 200 watts (~720 kcals/hr) you will require 360kcals of CHO per hour to maintain pace. 2000 kcals of glycogen/(360kcals/hr CHO)= 5.55 hours.

You can go a really f'in long time without truly bonking if you stay aerobic and have eaten correctly before hand. Discomfort would be pretty severe and accelerations might become impossible but you could keep it going for over 5 hours at a decent clip....and then eat your weight in Hagen Daz, but that is another thread.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Post deleted by ericmulk [ In reply to ]