Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fabric vs mystica vs sitero
Quote | Reply
I'm in need of a new saddle. Hoping shortly after the holidays.

My current saddle a very old Specialized tri-tip. It's served me well but somewhere in there their is a crack. It's making sounds as I ride and I think it may be time for a new era. Looking to join the new saddle style of these short nose saddles.

The three main contenders are

Fabric, seems good and cheap. Looks nice too. My worry is is it too hard for long days?

Fizik Mystica, I've never ridden Fizik but it seems to be the favorite of all the best riders I've ever known and sponsers half the pro peleton. I hear they're really comfortable. However it's the most expensive option and in a sport that's expensive enough is it really worth another $40?

Specialized Sitero, I've really only used two saddles in excess. Both Specialized both awesome. While it's a couple more bucks I have a lot of trust in the brand name.

Other than personally trying the saddles which I may do come spring can anyone give me some first hand experience?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric Reid is about to tell you the Mystica, and I won't say he's wrong. Certainly a better choice for most then the Sitero, which is one of the least preferred of the 20+ noseless saddles I have used in my fittings.
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Eric Reid is about to tell you the Mystica, and I won't say he's wrong. Certainly a better choice for most then the Sitero, which is one of the least preferred of the 20+ noseless saddles I have used in my fittings.

+1 on the Mystica.

I've used the Sitero, along with the Power, ISM, Tritone (Old version of the Fizik tri saddle) and the Mystica is worth the swap.

3toronto Triathlon
Last edited by: 416_CBass: Dec 20, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hated the Tritone and the Mystica. I actually really like the Fabric, though I sitll use an ISM on my race bike. I've been training on a Fabric on a different Tri bike and have been liking it. I did a century on it last weekend and didn't notice it; so that is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Mystica is a newer version of the Tritone, which you might be able to pick up cheap.

I've got the Sitero on all my bikes (road and tri). Works perfect for me. It is a hard saddle, though. I've got a neoprene wrap on it for training.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
I think the Mystica is a newer version of the Tritone, which you might be able to pick up cheap.

I've got the Sitero on all my bikes (road and tri). Works perfect for me. It is a hard saddle, though. I've got a neoprene wrap on it for training.

+1 on the Sitero here. It's definitely not as immediately comfortable as many other saddles out there, but at least for me it offers support exactly where I need it, and doesn't get in my way. I think of it as more "wooden park bench comfortable", as opposed to "La-Z-Boy comfortable"...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
However it's the most expensive option and in a sport that's expensive enough is it really worth another $40?

Is $40 worth it to you to be fast?

a good aero position is 100% dependent on saddle comfort. You should be riding the seat, the seat shouldn't be riding you. If you're accommodating your saddle in any way you're compromising your position.

I like the Tritone/Mistica because it requires you to sit on it properly to be comfortable, and once sat on properly allows / assists in pelvic rotation and facilitates a long and low position comfortably. I highly recommend trying one out.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Dec 21, 17 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:

The shape of the Mystica is nearly indistinguishable from the Tritone. However, the problem with the Tritone was you would "fall off the front" in any kind of low, fast position. The solution with the Mystica (which works rather well) is to use a fairly grippy surface. So while they look the same, the Mystica is a far superior option in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
However it's the most expensive option and in a sport that's expensive enough is it really worth another $40?

Is $40 worth it to you to be fast?

a good aero position is 100% dependent on saddle comfort. You should be riding the seat, the seat shouldn't be riding you. If you're accommodating your saddle in any way you're compromising your position.

I like the Tritone/Mistica because it requires you to sit on it properly to be comfortable, and once sat on properly allows / assists in pelvic rotation and facilitates a long and low position comfortably. I highly recommend trying one out.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think any of the saddles mentioned have much of an effect of speed. It's not like I'm talking about some stock crap saddle or anything like that. Saddles are more about comfort in the right position. However as you mentioned the Mistica forces you to be in the right position. With that said living in hilly central Massachusetts I might actually need a saddle where I can spend some time on the horns.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Saddles are more about comfort in the right position.

and this is what makes you fast.

I find the Fizik just as good sitting up as in the aero position.... go see a fitter or a bike shop who can demo you one. Or just get a cheap one off ebay and sell if you don't like it

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both the tritone and the sitero. I started with the tritone, tried the sitero for a season, and am back on the tritone.

The sitero is like riding a 2x4. It fits me well, and is comfortable in aero for a few hours. By the end of the IM bike, I was ready to see it go.

I like the tritone because it allows for a little more fore/aft movement and the slightly more rounded shape is more comfortable for me over a longer distance.

A quick google search revealed Ali Express has the tritone for $22 with free shipping. That is cheap enough to take a flyer on and donate to the needy triathlete foundation if it doesn't work.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben Hoffman had a Sitero 2 in Kona. Not sure if Specialized is ever going to release it, but it is a cross between the Sitero and their Power saddle. Interested in trying it out.
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sitero II is released as the Specialized Power Arc. I don't know why it went towards the power lineup instead since the Sitero lineup really needed a new refreshing. I tried it out myself and would recommended it if you have wide sit bones. I tired the original as well Sitero and found my hipbone continuously sliding off to one side or another but it was still comfortable. The Power saddles practically feel like a sofa, I sat down on it and forgot I was even sitting on a saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
The Sitero II is released as the Specialized Power Arc. I don't know why it went towards the power lineup instead since the Sitero lineup really needed a new refreshing. I tried it out myself and would recommended it if you have wide sit bones. I tired the original as well Sitero and found my hipbone continuously sliding off to one side or another but it was still comfortable. The Power saddles practically feel like a sofa, I sat down on it and forgot I was even sitting on a saddle.

Thanks...so I assume you went with the 155mm? I have ridden the Sitero for years and don't have a problem sliding off either side, so I was thinking of getting the 143. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: fabric vs mystica vs sitero [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sitero is 135mm or somewhere around that. I tried both 143 and 155 and had no problems with sliding off the side on either one of them. The 155 just felt like another level of comfort for me. I see that alot of pros went from 143 to 155 on their Shiv including Richard Murray when they switched over to the newer power arc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
The Power Arc has a lot more in common with the original Power than the Sitero as far as shape, materials, etc; so the name makes sense to me. I really like the Power Arc on my road bike, a big improvement over the original Power even though it looks somewhat similar. The problem with the original Power for me was that if I sat far enough back for good sit-bone support, the edge of the saddle was uncomfortable. The way the Power Arc slopes down to the sides completely eliminates that for me.

Not sure I would use it on my TT bike though; it may have a truncated nose, but still too long for an agressive (but UCI-legal) TT position for me (I have the Mystica on my TT bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:

This looks like a new Sitero, no?

https://www.specialized.com/...?color=220594-131027

I'm also looking to try the Sitero (and power for roadie) and the Mistica. Used Tritone before and updates to Mistica look very promising but I keep hearing how people love the sitero (and power).

I liked the shape of the Fabric but it didn't feel great out of aero, which seems to match some thoughts on Sitero and felt a little uncomfortable at the edges of the channel.
Quote Reply