Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

endurance nation plans
Quote | Reply
Im looking for feedback from anyone who used the endurance nation beginner 20 week plan. I see they have a 12 week and 20 week and I dont think 12 weeks is long enough.

Is there a big difference between the beginner and intermediate plans, Im guessing only training time (hours)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: endurance nation plans [ctkeebler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=search;

You'll find a ton of info on it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctkeebler wrote:
Im looking for feedback from anyone who used the endurance nation beginner 20 week plan. I see they have a 12 week and 20 week and I dont think 12 weeks is long enough.

Is there a big difference between the beginner and intermediate plans, Im guessing only training time (hours)

Thanks

I used their 20-week plan for my first IM two years ago. I really liked it. If I recall correctly, the 12-week plan is set up as a phase in from their outseason plan (which I also used earlier on that season). Check out their website to see if that is correct. I used their outseason plan in the winter, had a few-week transition period (basically part of the outseason plan, with a bit more volume added), and then jumped into the 20-week plan based on the IMWI timing. I probably could have re-used the outseason plan again and then jumped into the 12-week IM plan without any issue.

I had the intermediate IM plan. I wasn't really sure what the differences were between the beginner-intermediate-advanced plans, so I picked the middle one. For full disclosure, I have a history of running injuries, so I wasn't able to keep up the running intensities of the plans - too worried about straining my Achilles again. Keep in mind that these plans are focused on intensity over volume - for the time-crunched folks like me.

Have fun training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctkeebler wrote:

Thanks

Training hours, and time at high intensity all increase. Not a big difference.

Are you a beginner or an intermediate?

FWIW, these are pretty good plans.
Quote Reply
Re: endurance nation plans [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its my first IM but did train with my wife we while she trained for IMMT. I followed the 70.3 plan but did her weekend workouts with her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an Endurance Nation athlete…we generally roll into the 12-week plan after doing an out season plan, swim camp, and/or get faster plan. This allows us to focus on something other than training for an "Ironman" for just 12-weeks instead of 20-weeks, which can definitely lead to training burnout. I've been with them for a little over two years now, and love the community of athletes and the approach to training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctkeebler wrote:

Thanks

Thanks for your inquiry.

Our 20wk plans are 8wks of General Prep, 12wks of Race Prep. We assume a relatively low level of fitness at the beginning. Not just off the couch low but not ready for race prep yet low.

The 12wk plans are the last 12wks of ^these^ 20wk plans, so the race preparation phase only. For these plans, we've assumed you've been training consistently and/or have recently raced something, a half Ironman, for example, and are now transitioning over to Ironman training.

As Mark said (hooah) our athletes typically only do these last 12wks, because we've usually had them in a series of other training plans before we drop then into the last 12wks of these IM plans.

What race(s) are you doing next season? I can give you more insights into the options we have for you.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,

+++++++

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Endurance Nation for several years and it was a great experience. For one, their plans helped me drop over 90 minutes off my IM time (I used the intermediate plans). And their community is incredibly knowledgeable and encouraging when it comes to the IM and HIM distances. Whenever I have time for long course again, I'll definitely rejoin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to pile on: I'm another former EN member (3 seasons- 4 IMs in that period). Was extremely happy with their plans and membership construct. If you have a family, a job, and want to participate in an Ironman without totally forgetting the first two items, their plans are pretty darn good. All of them should get you to the finish line. As Rich said in his post, give him some more detail and he can probably answer your questions/concerns. Its a pretty open kimono system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former member here. Great plans, great community and great support. Helped me go from couch to IM finisher.
Quote Reply
Re: endurance nation plans [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich, I'm doing IMLP 2015. I attended the race talk at IMMT this year great job
Last edited by: ctkeebler: Sep 13, 14 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctkeebler wrote:
Rich, I'm doing IMLP 2015. I attended the race talk at IMMT this year great job

Ok, thanks. That was Patrick and I'll be sure to pass that on.

This is a quick driveby on how we do it with our IMLP folks:
  • Now through Oct 27: generally in a bike or run focused block, usually run focused, assuming they're finished with the current '14 season.
  • Oct 27th through ~early mid Feb: OutSeason + a swim block
  • We strongly encourage them to schedule a May or early June half Ironman. For example, our northeast IMLP folks will typically target Rev3 Quassy, first weekend in June. So from about the end of that Feb jazz above until about early May, they are doing half Ironman-style training. Then early May they switch over to IM training (12wks out from IMLP), racing Quassy within this IM training plan.
  • The key, however, is that this split season approach lets us (1) keep their volume as low as we can for as long as we can, so we can make them much faster and (2) keep their head out of an "I'm training for an Ironman" space. That mental shift doesn't happen until early May for them.

Please read this blog post I wrote last week, as I'm dialing in my crew for this period between now and the start of the OS, and helping them make smart race scheduling decisions for next year.

So to get back to your question / situation:
  • The 20wk plan gives you the biggest tool box in one transaction...but I strongly encourage you to not have an "off season," wake up 20wks out from IMLP and drop into that 20wk plan.
  • Instead, read that blog post about this split season approach and consider using that instead. This would have you doing some flavor of OS + HIM training + Ironman training. This will set you up for a great LP'15 by building on top of the 2014 fitness you have now, in a manner that keeps your head out of an Ironman training space. This later point is most important for you.

That said, everyone has a budget. I recommend you hold off for a bit because you don't need a 20wk plan from anyone right now (ie, you're not going use it right now) and Patrick and I are working on some technology stuff with our website, training plans, etc, that may open up some additional options for you.

Thanks again for your interest and keep in touch,

+++++++++++

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply