Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

down tube water bottle drag vs aid station refills
Quote | Reply
given an IM, i estimate 2 aid station water bottle grabs to completely refill my x-lab torpedo. as we all know, aid stations can be unpredictable with how quickly one can get in and out. for half IMs, i prefer to carry two bottles on my rear cage and one BTA requiring 0 aid station stops. this worked great at timberman, yielding a 2:24 bike split.

for long rides, i train with a bottle on my down tube to save time for stops. i understand this increases drag but i wonder if the net would be faster to carry the extra bottle and just blow through the aid stations.

what's the general consensus on this approach?
Last edited by: ghostrocket: Sep 19, 14 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: down tube water bottle drag vs aid station refills [ghostrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't read your post, but as for the title - seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: down tube water bottle drag vs aid station refills [ghostrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down tube water bottle drag penalties vary a lot. If you were quick about your stops and a bottle on the down tube was particularly un-aerodynamic for you, I could see the math working out as a wash.

Ideally you'd just refill on the fly from bottles behind your seat. That said, if you're not chasing a podium spot, there's no harm in taking two one minute breaks. In a 70.3, I go through my x lab torpedo and then stop once to refill. My neck appreciates the brief rest. Legs are indifferent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my torpedo for sprints and olys (where the fluid in it is enough, so no refills needed), but for 70.3+ I just use the BTA cage for bottles I grab on the fly at aid stations.

A bottle on the downtube vs. a BTA bottle will cost you ~33seconds/40k (at 20mph)...so 2-1/2min. in an IM at realistic speeds. That's a pretty big penalty.

ref: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_set_ups_P2570287-3

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Sep 20, 14 0:54
Quote Reply