Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

did my first alleycat race
Quote | Reply
plan was another lonely ride collecting ftp data for the afternoon when a feed popped up on the facebook about an alley cat race during the day. So why not? They allowed any bikes and I ended up getting 4th... winner was on a fixed gear track bike. these velodrome guys can ride!

here is what alleycat racing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xphlt0i0Lz4

any of you on this board get into it?
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it, and holy sh*t this makes the red hook crit series look tame.

Not sure I have what it takes (a death wish) to excel at this event ... but the video is crazy ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done a few....cheap training, a good workout.

I have Orienteered/Adventure Race in my recent past so it wasn;t a new concept to me. Don't discount the hipster lumbersexuals smoking before the race who ride in skinny jeans. Those fuckers dont have a car and ride everywhere all year. and can be damn strong on the bike....as well as knowing here everything in the cities is....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every single one of those riders should be arrested.
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
done a few....cheap training, a good workout.

I have Orienteered/Adventure Race in my recent past so it wasn;t a new concept to me. Don't discount the hipster lumbersexuals smoking before the race who ride in skinny jeans. Those fuckers dont have a car and ride everywhere all year. and can be damn strong on the bike....as well as knowing here everything in the cities is....

what would be your numbers in tri or 40k tt on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not 'bike racing'. When you get killed in one of these events, no one will take responsibility. The 'organizers' will disappear, the participants will all close ranks, and everyone will whisper "well, he knew the risks...".

Here was my response to the news when a young man was killed in 2008 on a local website called "Chicago Bike Racing". My views caused the website to lock the thread and remove my post.

"I find it ironic that this would be posted on a blog dedicated to bike racing. "Tour da Chicago" is not bike racing, it's gambling. Gambling in the worst sort of way, where the gambler is dedicated to hurting himself and his family to play the odds.
I have little sympathy for the rider killed: let's all admit it, he was a fool. A fool operating within the translucent confines of a mob mentality that, in the guise of "sport", revels in its nihilism of competitive carte blanche.

I know that Luke, and his many readers full well know the dangers of true bike racing. When you pin on your number you are really pinning on your Waiver, as flimsy a talisman against scar tissue as ever could be. It is also a social agreement that you're not going to behave in a dangerous manner to those around you.

We have enough trouble with group rides being pulled over in this city; this group of 'riders' are the worst representatives of cycling, and do nothing to further the sport, alternative transport, or healthy living."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...t-race-bicyclist-suv

This is not a game.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a driver and a cyclist - they're ****'s!!!! I've no sympathy at all for some w**ker who rides up the inside on blind spots and then gets hit and killed, let alone the fact the tw*ts have hurt and killed pedestrians (not specifically in these races but arseholes riding on sidewalks, through crossings etc) - they broadly speaking give drivers every reason to treat cyclists like tw*ts!!!! and then we're surprised when some dickhead tries to run you off the road, abuses you, throws shit at you or otherwise behaves like an arsehole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly why drivers hate cyclists. I don't suppose illegality would stop these idiots either. Same badasses from high school who thought doing stupid dangerous shit was cool - which is fine until you're also endangering bystanders.
Last edited by: TriBiker: May 4, 15 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be hatin' cause they can ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The video looks entirely bonkers. It is not cycling. It is taking wanton risks with utter disregard for everyone else around them, whilst just happening to be seated on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
When you get killed in one of these events, no one will take responsibility. The 'organizers' will disappear, the participants will all close ranks, and everyone will whisper "well, he knew the risks...".

Just pointing out that that's precisely the standard operating procedure for *all* races. That's why we sign liability waivers to no end that make you explicitly state that you're releasing everyone but yourself from liability. So the organizers can disappear.

The organizers of sanctioned races just have more hurdles to clear to get sanctioned and insured.

I think the riding in the video is stupid. But, otoh, it is not representative of all self-proclaimed "alley cat" racing, nor underground racing in general. Much of which is far more sane, e.g. midnight mountain bike rides, etc.

I just think there's a space for racing that doesn't involve inviting the insurance adjusters, governing bodies, and lawyers to the table.
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not real races? disagree.. there is an economic disparity in racing and this type is where those making minimum wage can kick ass with out having to pay heavy race entry fees etc. There is a lot of good talent out there but remains untapped
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
not real races? disagree.. there is an economic disparity in racing and this type is where those making minimum wage can kick ass with out having to pay heavy race entry fees etc. There is a lot of good talent out there but remains untapped

And the way that race unfolded, any "untapped talent" better make hay while they can..I'm guessing they'll be dead or disabled by the time they turn 25.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
synthetic wrote:

And the way that race unfolded, any "untapped talent" better make hay while they can..I'm guessing they'll be dead or disabled by the time they turn 25.

heh some of these guys are in their 40s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy SHIT that looked like the most fun anyone could possibly have . . . reminds me of my days bike-commuting down st charles new orleans. except that I am slow and I was racing mormon missionaries instead of austin horse.

and I got to see a drunk friend of mine crash his Bronco II into a streetcar. good times

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I just read about this crazy event today, and one of my clients this evening, does exactly that. When I mentioned Alleycat video to him, he immediately knew of Lucas Brunelle.

I have been in combat, jumped out of planes, I would NEVER do that ALLEYCAT stuff, way too crazy and dangerous and NO BRAKES!!!

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [bigeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw. Huge reliance on every other road user swerving out of their way or braking to avoid near misses...

I wasn't hugely impressed. The cut some things fine. A lot of the riding around pedestrians was incredibly selfish behaviour putting a more vulnerable road user at risk. A lot of the riding around cars relied on the cars avoiding them when they didn't have the right of way. I'm not sure how much of that is is skill and how much is just reckless selfishness.

But hey, each to their own - except that this not only endangers the riders who've accepted the risk but also those around them on the road who haven't.

Christ, I'm sounding old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that once. About 5 minutes in, remembered I had a kid and never did it again.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had never heard of it, but watching this video made me hate everything about it. How stupid can you be to participate in something so blatantly dangerous for you, motorists and pedestrians?
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [Eyes0fTexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eyes0fTexas wrote:
I had never heard of it, but watching this video made me hate everything about it. How stupid can you be to participate in something so blatantly dangerous for you, motorists and pedestrians?

well the close proximity of the video makes it look faster than what it is... probably in the car/ped mix situations the speed of the bike is a fast as a pedestrian can move (4mph)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admire these guys skills but at the same time am amazed by the stupidity...anyone know how long these races take and what distance they cover? It looks like they are going pretty hard for quite a bit of it...
Quote Reply
Re: did my first alleycat race [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
I admire these guys skills but at the same time am amazed by the stupidity...anyone know how long these races take and what distance they cover? It looks like they are going pretty hard for quite a bit of it...

this race i did had 25 people... 5 stops which you can do in any order. It would have made a minimum distance of 10 hilly miles but if you dont know the area can probably end up doing 16 .. if you saw the nyc one it had many more stops .

If anything what is worse, that some of these guys do it at night. that is my cut off point.
Last edited by: synthetic: May 5, 15 19:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try that on the Gold Coast or Queensland in general and you'll be dead.. cos drivers won't try and evade you.. might has wright ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the difference being that a bike a 4mph (which I don't believe) is a hazard to kids, the elderly and if someone pulled that shit on my and i'd just put them on the deck - hopefully they break something and have some time to reconsider their approach to riding in traffic, I'd just push them over, the issue here is that c***'s that behave like this give all other road users every reason to hate cyclists making it harder and harder for individuals to want to a) take it up or b) to be safe when riding

this is not to say that races without organisation should not be done, its that undertaking them in a way that is hazardous to people that have not chose to be involved is f**king Bulls**t!!!!!
Quote Reply