Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

compression plug recommendation
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a low stack compression plug. I picked up a nice looking Enve one but have found with the cone shape under the cap (facing the stem) that it requires no less than two 5 mm spacers between the cap and the stem to gain compression. With only one 5mm spacer the cone shape of the compression plug assembly under the top cap does not seat flush on top of the spacer/stem stack up and therefore cannot properly compress.

Any suggestions?

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: compression plug recommendation [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I understand your question fully, but my cheap and cheerful fsa plug and cap will allow the cap to sit directly on the stem and tighten correctly ?

As would my hope plug / king cap on my MTB ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: compression plug recommendation [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
I am not sure I understand your question fully, but my cheap and cheerful fsa plug and cap will allow the cap to sit directly on the stem and tighten correctly ?

As would my hope plug / king cap on my MTB ?

Out of curiosity, where is your steerer cut? Mine is cut perhaps 2.5 mm below the top of the 5 mm spacer, or 2.5 mm above the stem, depending on how you look at it. There is just enough interference of steerer tube above the stem to retain the spacer in it's position.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: compression plug recommendation [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 3mm shorter than the stem top face.

Is that why yours won't tighten ? i.e. You need the spacer to provide loading on the stem rather than on the the 'proud' steerer ?

Quote Reply
Re: compression plug recommendation [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
About 3mm shorter than the stem top face.

Is that why yours won't tighten ? i.e. You need the spacer to provide loading on the stem rather than on the the 'proud' steerer ?

That sounds very likely....I have read a mixed bag on the need for a spacer above the stem or not. I have always just "played it safe" and added the smallest possible...

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply