Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
component weight comparison chart
Quote | Reply
I've looked around for something like this and couldn't find one, so I made one. Just found it interesting to look at how little weight differences there are. I believe these weights are correct for all 2011 road components, but if one of them is wrong, sorry.

Last edited by: %FTP: Apr 14, 11 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a whole website devoted to this with actual weights, not advertised

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. Been there, but they didn't have it in the format I wanted, ie: side by side easy to compare.

However, that is an excellent resource.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea it is not the most organized, Feel free to keep posting more tables :)

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be interesting to add the price for each component and then calculate the $ per gram of weight savings between different grouppos. Could compare where $s are best spent to lighten up the ride (for example, you spend $x/gram to upgrade from Ultegra front derailleur to DA vs $y/gram to upgrade from Ultegra shifter to DA). I did a few of these calcs when I was building a bike just for shits, but I don't think I saved the spreadsheet. Problem is that price varies so much from MSRP, that you need to search out best price for every component.

Purely intellectual though because we all know that weight doesnt matter on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately you didn't include a single group I would consider putting on my road bike :) I want to see how they compare to Record and Super-Record (though I love Campy more for the fact that they work, less for their weight).
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SavageHouck wrote:
I want to see how they compare to Record and Super-Record

Let's try this again. Here is a chart depicting the weight of each of the major components for the top two groups for Sram, Shimano and Campagnolo. **Rival is included for reference to where "budget" groups fall.

The next image is the pricing of each component. I grabbed most of these from Competitive Cyclist. They are all MSRP. As slimfast pointed out, you can get them much cheaper than this, but the discount by which *could* attain them is probably relatively even across the board.

And the final comparison is $/gram.

Clearly, there is no performance chart which ultimately changes everything and will truly determine what is the best group for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you make a 3D plot with x,y,and z being weight, price, and price/gram?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw my $0.02 since I happen to have bikes with Red, Force, Record and Dura Ace (yes, really).

The best groupset out there (for the money) IMHO is SRAM Force. I save my campy for the cross bike since I can rebuild it, but road race Shimano/SRAM for wheel sharing issues (PT, etc.) Or, as a lot of savy builders will do, the mismash (Red Brifters, Force deraillers/brakes, Rival Cassette, etc.)

edit: the above for road bikes of course, for a TT/Tri bike, Ultegra is the way to go

Last edited by: rroof: Apr 14, 11 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info, and helpful that you aggregated it all. This is the analysis that I was trying to explain:

(Price Delta between Group A and Group B) / (weight delta between Group A and Group B)

I ran it for DA / Ultegra using your numbers, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to post it. Performance increases aside, the most economical places to spend money to lighten the bike (in order) are: chain ($1.00/g), Shifters ($2.21/g), Front D ($3.59/g), Cassette ($4.35/g), Crank ($4.62/g), Rear D ($7.57/g), Brakes ($10.00/g). Total upgrade costs $4.34/g.
Last edited by: slimfast: Apr 14, 11 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to include Rival, why not include 105 and Chorus (or whatever the lower level Campy group is)?
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 14, 11 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why ultegra and not force for the tri bike? I have dura ace on my P3, but i'd love to have the sram rtc shifters ...
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [TomNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mostly because the shifter cost so much more - they are nicer though!

Re: component weight comparison chart [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I'm lazy and already had Rival, so I left it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird that the 105 chain is actually lighter than the Ultegra one.
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly (although maybe not surprising), the cost/gram to upgrade from one level of components to another is very similar across the board (comparing a full gruppo upgrade).

Force>Red = $4.52/g
Rival>Force = $4.34/g
Ultegra>DA = $4.34/g

More interestingly, individual component upgrades are all across the map (using crank as an example, $4.62/g to upgrade to DA from Ult, $2.97/g to upgrade from Rival to Force, and $7.42/g to upgrade from Force to Red).

I am actually not much of a weight weenie, but looking into these numbers is interesting (sort of).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just due to a quirk in the way the grams/dollars are spread, the Red and Record groups are actually the same cost/gram if you look at the group as a whole ($1.11/g), but noticeably different when you just add them up as you did.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [AndrewSaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wanted to point this out earlier but $/gram is a useless metric.

you need to take some heavy gruppo as a standard and express the other gruppos in terms of grams *saved* per dollar

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how slimfast wanted to see it. Feel free to use the numbers and post the more useful metric!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes SRAM Rival look pretty compelling from a weight perspective.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it was not what I was looking for. I was interested in INCREMENTAL $/g between gruppos, which shows where the cheapest decreases in grams can be had. I may have done a poor job of explaining this in the initial post.

See my additional posts.
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not when you remember how utterly meaningless 100 grams really are as a determiner of performance.
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about including the BB with the crank weight? It's pretty much an essential part, and my weight savings in my BB30 crank isn't in the crank alone, a lot of it is not having to use 1/4 lb bottom brackets.
Quote Reply
Re: component weight comparison chart [ricerocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<--------- Weight weenie.

That is why when I went for drivetrain for my lightweight weenie build I used Red. (Brakes, cranks and such were aftermarket even lighter stuff).

There are guys out there who have their Red rear derrailleurs even lighter than stock. But I didn't want to sacrifice durability.

I ordered my new roadie yesterday and it had to have Red stock. TCR Advanced SL 2. Then it will be time to drop the weight on it. ;)

Prev Next