Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
coaching websites other than Training Peaks
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with coaching or being coached via a non-TP site? Just looking to see if there is anything out there that works well that I have not heard of. THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [dominator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is bad manners to answer a question with a question, but are you asking about a coach who writes truly custom training plans, an alternative 'TP like' site, or both?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. As a coach that delivers workout to athletes via trainingpeaks, I am curious to see if there are any similar websites that would allow me to create programs which the athlete could retrive and update via the web. TP works well for me but I don't use their pre-made workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach uses workoutlog.com. I've used TP before, but since the re-design I prefer workoutlog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Training Peaks has become the conscious property of too many coaches. It has become stale and people are looking for something more innovative and more personal and specific,

It will be up to you to make something better, a more ‘boutique’ training plan for each athlete….....regardless of how much they pay you.

Knowing what I know about TP, if I hired a coach, wanting the most deluxe program available for $500+ per month and that coach came to me with a Training Peaks program to follow, we would never get started.

If 90% of triathlon coaches use Training Peaks as the default mechanism for their training plans, they are like the 101st+ Monkeys who just learned how to wash sand off of their sweet potatoes.

Even with a training plan at a semi-custom level, say $100 per month: if I saw my training plan was even similar to a friends plan, reeking of boilerplate TP methodology. I would not be very impressed with my coach.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 to look at WOL.com

I have used both TP and WOL to deliver workouts to athletes. I think TP just started offering a-la-carte per athlete fee structure to compete with WOL. If you only have a few athletes, WOL is cheaper in the long run. If you want to publish plans and sell them at a digital storefront, go with TP

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dom uses TP strictly as a workout delivery system. He doesn't use any of the TrainingPeaks workouts. Basically, he's a PeaksWare software user, not a TrainingPeaks user.

The problem is that it has become synonymous. Joel Filliol, when he was my coach, coached myself and the entire Canadian Nat'l Team using TrainingPeaks to deliver and log workouts. But he never actually used ANYTHING from "TrainingPeaks" (the training aspects).

What Dom is looking for is strictly a software alternative.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well stated. Anything worth looking into?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, not at the moment.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the mistake: the use of the word "Peaks"

"TrsiningPeaks" or "PeaksWare"

If you are trying to seduce athletes into a better or more sophisticated way of training, using the same term as your competitor is not a good idea.

It could be truely revolutionary, or it could be the same old shit in a brand new box. Either way, it deserves a unique name.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is the mistake: the use of the word "Peaks"

"TrsiningPeaks" or "PeaksWare"

If you are trying to seduce athletes into a better or more sophisticated way of training, using the same term as your competitor is not a good idea.

It could be truely revolutionary, or it could be the same old shit in a brand new box. Either way, it deserves a unique name.

That's like saying you shouldn't use Microsoft Word for word processing because a lot of crap is written in MSWord. I actually agree with that statement, but MSWord is just software. And really, that's all TrainingPeaks is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo,

Seems people are discussing two different forms of TP...

1) the one that coaches use to puke pre-written training plans that they pretend are "customized coaching".

2) the one that coaches use to dynamically deliver custom content.

If you can call up your coach on the phone, send them e-mails back and forth all week long, and notice that your plan changes when you're on vacation, sick, decide to change up your race plans, etc., then you're probably getting pure gold content from your coach.

If your plan basically looks like a copycat piece, it probably is.

Hope that helps,
Ben Greenfield

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use WorkoutLog.com with my athletes and much prefer it to Training Peaks which tends to make my head want to explode. With the recent upgrades, WL has the necessary features in a much more user friendly package. Plus, there are no pre-written, "suggested" workouts or plans to let me take the easy way out. Really happy with it, as are my athletes.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What Dom is looking for is strictly a software alternative.

I have seen attempts to emulate TrainingPeaks using Google products, such as calendar, pages and docs

It is possible to replicate some of the features, but not all

Like many, I am waiting on another company to create a similar, simple to use product (non-flash interface)

In TP have a gallery of my custom workouts, and even those are further customized to the respective athlete when applied to their calendar

I continue to use TP only as a workout delivery system, of which I could use Google calendar and docs for free, and get pretty close to duplicating the features that I need
  • Calendar for each athlete (custom color coded events would be nice)
  • Email athlete workout daily (custom formatting the message would be nice)
  • Athlete inputs post-workout comments (all but one of my athletes has given up on the "flash interface" and either emails them to me, or uses the TP mobile HTML site to update)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Warning: Shameless plug)

We developed Apollo (http://www.physfarm.com/apollo ) with the British Triathlon elite team to tackle some of these issues. It is a desktop / internet fusion product. With a server account, the athlete and coach exchange schedules / training data via a central server. The nice thing is that this allows redundancy: after synchronization, all data exists on the athlete's computer, the coach's computer, and the server. If the athlete and coach go their separate ways, the server account is switched off, and all parties retain all of the data. In other words, there is no need to "export" all of your data from the server. A copy always exists on your machine.

Additionally, the system allows security. All data can be encrypted via SSL to ensure competitors are kept out. (This is obviously a bigger concern at the professional / national team level.) More importantly to "Joe Coach" / "Bob Athlete", each coach has *their own* database on the server. If they decide to go elsewhere the database can be deleted entirely from our server and / or moved elsewhere. We specifically warrant that your data is YOURS, not OURS.

There are no "shake-and-bake" workouts provided with Apollo. The coach actually must author the sessions. (They do have the ability to create their own library of workouts. However, we don't provide anything in the way of workouts for the coach.)

As an aside, athletes would do well to compare the workouts they get from their coach with the workouts that are available as part of the library that comes with any particular product. People are continually surprised by how often coaches who do "custom schedules" are just regurgitating pre-fab workouts. As people have noted above, this is a very real problem.

Phil
--

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Last edited by: Philbert: Jun 27, 10 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

We developed Apollo (http://www.physfarm.com/apollo )with the British Triathlon elite team to tackle some of these issues.
--

Quoted to fix link.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have an update to this? There was a new one that came out... something "plan" that I can't find and there is FinalSurge.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used Addaero?
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [BigGoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't but Addaero, workoutlog, Xhale and the something plan that was on DCRainmaker (I can't find it now) are the ones I want to evaluate. I tried FinalSurge a while back and really didn't like it. The reporting is really sub-par. I also know you can use Golden Cheetah but I need to dig into that more deeply.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suunto just launched few weeks ago a coach featureset in Movescount.com.

Basically member can create a coach role. Coach can access the athletes training data (analysis tools/summaries), plan their training as well as discuss privately with the athletes.. The features are free for coach and athletes. No limits on how many athletes coach can have..

Data can come from suunto watches or from mobile app. Plans can be synched to suunto watches.

You can also export/import data back and forth to other services i.e. Rungap (to synch to several sites), trainingpeaks (if your coach is there).. Etc.

—
Last edited by: JanneK: Oct 20, 16 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poseidon2600 wrote:
Does anyone have an update to this? There was a new one that came out... something "plan" that I can't find and there is FinalSurge.

I think you're referring to 'Today's Plan'. (disclaimer: I do work for them). We're a cycling based platform for the moment but triathlon is on the horizon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach uses sporttracks.mobi, which I really like.
Quote Reply
Re: coaching websites other than Training Peaks [BennyHTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! That's it! How far away is Triathlon?

I see coaching is free, that's amazing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a few development priorities in front of it at the moment but as our resident triathlete I'm pushing all the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next