Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

clothing choices for ironman
Quote | Reply
coming up on my first ironman. I'm assuming most slowtwitchers either go with a trisuit and tri shorts and tops for an ironman but wondering if anybody changes to bike shorts/top and then running shorts and shirt. during my long training rides I usually wear a cycling jersey since I carry more things in their pockets but I wear bike shorts or tri shorts at different times for my rides. it's not something I've thought about that much. I'm leaning towards the tri short and tri top for the full day but just wondering if anybody here found a full clothing change to work out great. I'm no podium threat (shooting for under 12 hours. 11 if starts align) but still aim pushing myself to get the best possible time.
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 piece tri suit from start to Finish.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is fair to say the more relaxed about your finishing time you are the more likely you are to do a full change. Some people will do a full change, the beauty of triathlon is we all do the same race but have different ways of going about it. 11 is very respectable and you don't want to be wasting too many minutes in T2.

Tri Top and shorts can be more practical than a full suit if you think you'll need a porta loo break.

Personally I like tri shorts or bib shorts and then quickly change the top for a running vest or tshirt depending on how hot it is.

The golden rule is don't do anything on race day you haven't trained in. So whatever you decide make sure you cycle and run in it before the big day. That's obviously easier if you are making a full change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a ~12 hour finisher.

I just wear speedo's under my wetsuit. I put on a jersey and bike shorts in T1, no salt encrusted, chaffing crotch area for me. I also put on gloves, socks and sunblock.

In T2 another full change. Running shorts and running top and running socks, hat and sun block.

12 hours is a long time to be out there. If you are not going for the podium then be comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you practice it, a clothing change won't slow you down too much.

I read a lot of race reports, and can recall more than one where someone in a fast age group still qualified for Kona after performing a full clothing change in each transition.

Being comfortable accounts for a lot in a long day like ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

I read a lot of race reports, and can recall more than one where someone in a fast age group still qualified for Kona after performing a full clothing change in each transition.

Agree.

Bib shorts under wetsuit, throw on cycling jersey for bike. By the time you get to second change tent everything but bibs off. Loss of about twenty seconds taking bibs off putting running shorts on, shirt on exiting t2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

yeah. I'm not too worried about losing a couple minutes changing if I feel like I'm more comfortable. I won't be on the podium but still want to save as many minutes hoping to get as close to 11 hour finish time as possible. I'm trying desoto tri shorts this weekend on a brick and I might just wear that all day and not change if it's comfortable. I'll try bike shorts following weekend to compare. I'm less worried about the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

If I thought a change of clothing would make Ironman, "comfortable" I would do it in a second. The fact is that what I'm wearing is so far down the list of things making me uncomfortable that it is largely insignificant. 12 hours into a long sweaty day, a tri suit is as comfortable as anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri shorts and top for me. No changing clothes besides taking off the wetsuit and putting on socks.
However, if I knew I might have had any significant comfort issues, I wouldn't hesitate to change.
Priorities for me:
  • Comfort
  • Simplicity
  • Speed
  • Appearance

The first 3 are intertwined. Comfort and simplicity probably facilitate speed in most cases for long distance races. The same may not be true over shorter distances where discomfort might be tolerable to save time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13 hours here, I wear my bike shorts and top under my wetsuit, so T1 is just putting on socks and bike shoes, usually dry within 3 miles. For T2 I change into underwear and running shorts and shoes, more comfortable, at my level I can afford the extra minute or 2 to be more comfortable for the 4+ hour run.
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
captain-tri wrote:

Agree.

Bib shorts under wetsuit, throw on cycling jersey for bike. By the time you get to second change tent everything but bibs off. Loss of about twenty seconds taking bibs off putting running shorts on, shirt on exiting t2

I wear running tights with a felt chamois. So I have that on with Bib bike shorts and long arm aero suit over it. I wear my sleeveless wetsuit for the swim. In T1, wetsuit comes off and I'm ready to go for bike. In T2 aero jacket and bib come off. I throw a singlet on and I'm ready to go for the run. It's comfortable and quick and allows for an easy #2 if the need ever arises.
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
1 piece tri suit from start to Finish.

Me as well. I guess I am lucky in that I don't have any issues with chaffing, etc.
I also use a sleeved suit now (LG M-2 course). Not because of aero, but because I like the extra coverage from the sun. I have the top part rolled down under my wetsuit for the swim, pull it on in T1.

If you are on the fence about what to wear for the run, then put a change of clothes in your T2 bag just in case you are dying to get out of your skinsuit after 180km. Its no big deal to do a complete change in T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I completed my first IM last October (IMLOU) and was shooting for sub 12 also and had a stretch goal of sub 11 as well. I also knew I wouldn't be on the podium so I wore a full bike kit on the ride then changed into a full tri kit for the run. I actually ride for a local cycling team so wore that kit on the bike and I also am on a national tri team so wore that kit on the run. Just wore jammers under the wetsuit for the swim. My T1+T2 times were very slow, 19 minutes I think in total. Finished at 11:53, cramps at mile 16 on the run.

I figured it was my first so be comfortable and have some fun. But everyone's mindset is different.

Some folks would kick themselves if they came in at 11:02 and went with the full change in T1 and T2.

Decisions, decisions.....
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Tri shorts and top for me. No changing clothes besides taking off the wetsuit and putting on socks.
However, if I knew I might have had any significant comfort issues, I wouldn't hesitate to change.
Priorities for me:
  • Comfort
  • Simplicity
  • Speed
  • Appearance

The first 3 are intertwined. Comfort and simplicity probably facilitate speed in most cases for long distance races. The same may not be true over shorter distances where discomfort might be tolerable to save time.

In my HIMs I've always done tri shorts and top with no issues. Of course, training for IM, getting over 3.5-4 hours on the bike has unearthed a few comfort issues. tolerable if I have to but not preferred. I'm dialing in my fit at this point. but have some saddle issues. deciding on that in the next week. That's mainly why I'm considering bike shorts if I can't get my saddle 100% to my liking. Chattanooga probably won't be wetsuit legals so probably not an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find a tri-suit more comfortable than a 2 piece for the same reason as bib shorts. That is: there's no waistband which I sometimes find a little irritating and they stay in place slightly better. a 2-piece is not usually uncomfortable for me but a suit is a ideal.
On my tri-bike the tri-suit pad is probably more comfortable than my bib shorts over long distances. Bib shorts can be too bulky and less comfortable in a tri position, especially on a split nose saddle like my ISM Adamo Attack. On the road bike with a more conventional saddle and more upright position, I do appreciate a good pair of bib shorts.
I use tri-suits for shorter races, both tri-suits and 2-piece for 70.3 distance and have only used 2-piece for IM. The thinking being that this makes toilet breaks easier. However, I'm definitely more comfortable in the suit so I might start doing them all that way.
Quote Reply
Re: clothing choices for ironman [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
The fact is that what I'm wearing is so far down the list of things making me uncomfortable that it is largely insignificant.

I'd posit that a big reason you can make that statement is that you have made clothing choices that worked well for you. If you end up in poor fitting clothing, it can make what you're wearing climb up that list very fast (I can attest to that).

And to be clear, I'm not advocating people change clothes (I'm a one piece try suit guy, too), I'm advocating comfort, and it sounds like you've found that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both, complete change in T2 and wore a tri suit for the whole race. My first IM was done on the cheap, and I didn't want to spend money on a kit that I wasn't going to wear again. I wore bibs and bike jersey and changed into my running gear in T2. For my next race, I decided to spend some money and get tri clothing. After trying separate tops and bottoms, I found the tri suit to be ideal for me as my dad bod causes the top to ride up and the waist band to cut into me during the run. I find my tri suit to be the most comfortable thing I own to run in, and it's decent on the bike. It has no zippers, great seems and good torso length. With a little practice, loo stops are really not that much longer than a 2 piece kit.

I am about a 13hr finisher, so I am more concerned with finishing the race and being comfortable rather than eeking out every last second.

And as other have said, nothing new on race day. Try out any possible combinations you might want. Maybe a tri top with bibs for the bike and loose shorts for the run is what works for you. Or you like your lower back getting 2nd degree burns on the bike. Who knows until you try. Good luck with your race.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply