Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
chinese carbon clinchers
Quote | Reply
anyone have these? Any reviews on the hubs, quality,etc...

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair this week; it'll be a while before they get to me, I guess. Not the standard deep-v china wheels; these had a wider rim (23 mm) and more of a toroidal shape; 50 front and 80 rear. I hope this means that the chinese-carbon parts are catching up to the big names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out roadbikereview.com/wheels&tires forum. They have a few large threads on all the details i.e. who to order from, who sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Where did you get them from?
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved my 50mm clinchers, love my 88's even more. Great wheels for the money. I paid less than $550 shipped for mine via Blade X on AlieExpress.

Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undertheradar wrote:
Loved my 50mm clinchers, love my 88's even more. Great wheels for the money. I paid less than $550 shipped for mine via Blade X on AlieExpress.

That's a great price. How long have you had them? Any issues? Where did you order them?
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got them about a year ago. I only ride on the trainer or in races, but they look brand new and roll smooth.

See my post above as to where I bought them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got bladex 60's. I dig em. The novatec hubs roll better than my old heds.

jg

Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought a pair of Token 60cm. Look good, ride good (so I thought), then I took them to Lake Placid. Set up a vibration at about 45mph on the way down to Keene, thought I was going down. Scariest I've ever been, and I've been 50+ multiple times at Tour of the Gila and Enchanted Circle. Now, I ride them only on flat courses where speeds are less than 30mph. Just saying...
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on ebay. The seller is 2011cycling2011 and the wheels are listed under "23 wider carbon clincher;" it really seems to be a step up from the standard carbon clincher.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of 6088 clinchers from Blade X on AlieExpress as well. I put 300 or so miles on them without any problems. I paid $520 last year.

Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Novatec hubs are very well made. I built many hundreds of wheels over the years and these Novatec are a great hub for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually the build quality is sub par. I have had an experience where the spokes were breaking through normal wear and tear. This means the spoke tensions are all off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
I ordered a pair this week; it'll be a while before they get to me, I guess. Not the standard deep-v china wheels; these had a wider rim (23 mm) and more of a toroidal shape; 50 front and 80 rear. I hope this means that the chinese-carbon parts are catching up to the big names.

Well, props to them for trying something different, but the profile of their 80mm deep rim is highly problematic. Looking at it, you almost gotta wonder if the Chinese designers have ever even seen an advanced wide profile aero clincher ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 13, 13 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of 50mm Carbon clinches from Far sports and have been happy with the performance so far. One of the wheels has <20mi and the other has about 1500mi on it. No spoke hole cracks, no braking surface issues,the wheel remains very true, and their is no bearing issues so far. The only criticism I have is that the wheel brakes very poorly when wet (using the provided blue brake pads).

Also, since I purchased two front wheels they did not include skewers. Skewers only come with F+R wheel sets.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you specify why this profile is problematic?

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jjstains wrote:

Well, props to them for trying something different, but the profile of their 80mm deep rim is highly problematic. Looking at it, you almost gotta wonder if the Chinese designers have ever even seen an advanced wide profile aero clincher ...
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [Auchenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auchenberg wrote:

Sure, take a look at the 3 profiles on the right in this pic, these are the most aero deep section rims currently available (especially the last two, if you go with wider 23mm tires). Unfortunately, the chinese rim profile is nothing like any of them.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It do kinda looks like the 404 Hybrid toroidal (second from the left), without bulging wider than the brake-surface itself, but not as straight as the new 404 carbon clincher.
i wouldnt say it looks nothing like.. its way different compared to the classic v-deep rim shape

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Auchenberg wrote:

Sure, take a look at the 3 profiles on the right in this pic, these are the most aero deep section rims currently available (especially the last two, if you go with wider 23mm tires). Unfortunately, the chinese rim profile is nothing like any of them.

Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [Auchenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auchenberg wrote:
It do kinda looks like the 404 Hybrid toroidal (second from the left), without bulging wider than the brake-surface itself, but not as straight as the new 404 carbon clincher.
i wouldnt say it looks nothing like.. its way different compared to the classic v-deep rim shape

None of the companies that does wind tunnel testing has a narrow point in the middle of the rim profile. The hybrid toroidal does kick out into the aerodynamic portion, but it doesn't pinch down behind the brake track. I'd have to imagine there's a ton of turbulence at that point.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think it would be possible to fill in that gap in some way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
Do you think it would be possible to fill in that gap in some way?

Probably, but now you're putting more work and money into cheap wheels, and the results might not be much of an improvement without a LOT of effort going into doing it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a strip of electrical tape? Isn't that basically what Mavic did to integrate their rim/tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bead of silicone, smoothed out with your fingertip, will do the trick as well.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
Bought a pair of Token 60cm. Look good, ride good (so I thought), then I took them to Lake Placid. Set up a vibration at about 45mph on the way down to Keene, thought I was going down. Scariest I've ever been, and I've been 50+ multiple times at Tour of the Gila and Enchanted Circle. Now, I ride them only on flat courses where speeds are less than 30mph. Just saying...
This is not necessarily exclusive to generic carbon clinchers. I rode a pair of Gigantex 50s for about 6000 miles and had very litttle issue with high speed (40+mph) vibration. In fact over that time it only happened 3 or 4 times. I blew the budget and after a spoke on those broke replaced them with 404 Firecrest carbon clinchers. These have been under me for over 8000 miles and I have had more trouble with high speed vibration than I ever had with the cheap wheels. The Zipps are undeniably high quality but I do not find the Firecrest profile to alleviate cross wind sensitivity. I am sure others will disagree but this has been my personal experience. I also have a mixed pair of original Boyd's 60/88 which are nothing more than a straight V profile and these present no significant stability issues either.
Quote Reply
Re: chinese carbon clinchers [1406racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1406racer wrote:
Kscycler wrote:
This is not necessarily exclusive to generic carbon clinchers. I rode a pair of Gigantex 50s for about 6000 miles and had very litttle issue with high speed (40+mph) vibration. In fact over that time it only happened 3 or 4 times. I blew the budget and after a spoke on those broke replaced them with 404 Firecrest carbon clinchers. These have been under me for over 8000 miles and I have had more trouble with high speed vibration than I ever had with the cheap wheels. The Zipps are undeniably high quality but I do not find the Firecrest profile to alleviate cross wind sensitivity. I am sure others will disagree but this has been my personal experience. I also have a mixed pair of original Boyd's 60/88 which are nothing more than a straight V profile and these present no significant stability issues either.

Yep, had a buddy on a pair of 808s get a bad wheel wobble recently that almost caused him to lose it on a nasty decent. I've owned chinese carbon clinchers, Hed3s, Hed Jets, and other deep wheels and knock on wood haven't experienced this yet but it's definitely not exclusive to a particular manufacturer or wheelset.
Last edited by: sailnfast: Jan 13, 13 22:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next