Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with?
Quote | Reply
Hey folks -
Until now I've never been a fan of running with a phone, but I'm going to need to be reachable 24-7 for a few months. My plan is to get an emergency phone, only give the number to 3 people, and have a little, rugged phone that I could bring anywhere - including running with me.

Just using my normal phone isn't an option – I need to have those 3 people be able to reach me, but I also need others to NOT be able to reach me.

I know it's possible that there's a "cheap, light, rugged – pick 2" thing going on, but I'm hoping that by going light on features (no internet, nothing 'smart') there might be something out there.
Any recs on phones? Or, for that matter, pre-paid options?

Thanks,
-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not get a cheap pre-paid phone? We had a few people here in FL do that for their IMFL training.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gulf Coast Tri 70.3 5-7-2011

"Get to living before your dead, or you soon will find, if your not pushing straight ahead you'll be left behind " - "The Bastard Suns"
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [Selder03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a casio. I think its called "Rock" or something like that. Used to be the "Boulder" but they changed the name. Its pretty tough and its water resistant also. You might check them out.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [Selder03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selder03 wrote:
Why not get a cheap pre-paid phone? We had a few people here in FL do that for their IMFL training.

well, yeah, that's the plan.
any recs on model? or plan?

--
will look into the casio.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [rbishop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your talking about this phone:

http://www.pcmag.com/...,2817,2371862,00.asp

Casio G'zOne Ravine. I don't have one but my buddies on Florida Sportsman fishing forums recommend it. If a phone can survive offshore fishing in Florida then it can survive just about anything. There is no creature on earth more talented at destroying cell phones than Florida fishermen. And it's a fact that the sea floor is littered with cell phones. And sunglasses. And pliers. And fillet knives.

Jay

45 AG triathlete and terrible BMX racer, Tampa FL
Last edited by: Jay G: Jan 20, 11 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motorola i335 on Boost Mobile. Suits all your needs (not waterproof, but I am sure you can pack it away as needed).

Check out Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/...mp;tag=spp-middle-20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an untapped market. I could see a market for a cell phone with no display that uses voice commands or dial pre-programmed contacts with perhaps a panic button sort of like a hands free device... maybe about the size of a i-pod shuffle.

If you dump a keypad and display, cell phone can get very very small... just a small battery, antennae and mic and speaker. With bluetooth functionality and you could still use it in your car, or interface with a laptop wirelessly.

Who wants to go into business with me on this?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that you mention it, there is a phone called a Firefly...designed for giving to your kids. It has only 3 buttons or so, and only allows for preprogrammed numbers to be entered, i.e. no keypad, and minimal LCD screen.

Not quite the voice dialing, micro design you have in mind, but not a bad idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already have something, maybe one of these covers will help. I have the Defender case and it really lives up to its expectations.
http://www.otterbox.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-mobile pre paid. Samsung slider phone. I have dropped it from the bike at 25 mph with no problems and also dropped it in the toilet (back came off and battery fell off) (don't ask how this happened ; ). After submerging it in the toilet long enough for me to find something to fish it out, I rinsed it off thoroughly and let it dry overnight. It still works like a charm. Cheap and bulletproof. Not super light but it is durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought one of these: http://www.johnsphones.com/ - no screen, sturdy plastic, 3 week standbye time. just put your sim card in there and it is ready to roll.

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [d_smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d_smitty wrote:
I recently bought one of these: http://www.johnsphones.com/ - no screen, sturdy plastic, 3 week standbye time. just put your sim card in there and it is ready to roll.

tempting, and i like the idea - but surprisingly spendy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the samsung b2100 - shock proof and water proof -30mins max in the water and it has a flashlight which i use as well,
http://teck.in/...ed-mobile-phone.html

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Samsung Smooth --small /cheap/simple -- it's my main phone -- I have 2 -- one for everyday use and a prepaid one that stays on my bike. -- could easily take running as well.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Samsung T105G - $9.99 at Tracfone. I've ran with it several times over the past month without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a $20 go phone from CVS, Walmart, etc and put your SIM card in there. There's phones compatable for Verizon and ATT - so you can just switch your card from your regular phone before heading out the door. No cost of an extra phone, except the ~20 bucks up front. They're small, light, have good battery life and a zip lock bag is a great waterproofer.

Quote | Reply
Ask the guy from Get Smart -- I think they still have the shoe phone.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Just get a $20 go phone from CVS, Walmart, etc and put your SIM card in there. There's phones compatable for Verizon and ATT - so you can just switch your card from your regular phone before heading out the door. No cost of an extra phone, except the ~20 bucks up front. They're small, light, have good battery life and a zip lock bag is a great waterproofer.

if i use my own, current sim card it would get me non-emergecy calls, too. i need this to be an emergency-only, 3-people-in-the-world have the number phone.
didn't really like att's gophone options, but maybe they could just sell a sim card and i could get the cvs phone to go w/it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Just using my normal phone isn't an option – I need to have those 3 people be able to reach me, but I also need others to NOT be able to reach me.

You could sign up for Google Voice, get a new number from them and give it to only those people, and set it so that only those ring when you're out. But it might be a pain to do. That would allow you to keep your phone. Or get a pager for a bit and carry both (with the phone off), but for running, ugh.

Someone mentioned swapping SIM cards, but that ports your number to the new phone so it doesn't seem that fits the "need others to NOT be able to reach me" part.

Another option if you're okay running with your current phone and can deal with ignoring rings: different ring tones for those 3 people so you know to pick up, and just ignore the others.
Quote Reply
Re: cheap, light, rugged cell phone to run with? [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are a million cool cheap options, but just thought I'd add my experience.

My smart phone kicked the bucket and rather than buy another or sign a contract (haven't had one for years) I downgraded to the cheapest service, picked up a pre-paid phone for $20 bucks at Target, and plugged my SIM in. I'm all set and after the initial adjustment period of being without it and having to go old school on the texting, I love it. $35 a month, the phone lasts 3-4 days on one charge, it's really small and light and I don't feel tied to it. Half the time I don't know where it is.

Seems like the prepaid option would be the best for you. Any of them work fine I think. Mine is a Nokia. I got the non slide, non flip one just so there are less moving bits that might break. So far so good. I put it in a ziplick baggie and ride with it. I don't run with it because there is no need for me, but it's as small as a phone comes, around the same size as my older Shuffle and I run with that all the time. As I sit here, I can fit the phone in the key pocket of my Nike running shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Hey folks -
Until now I've never been a fan of running with a phone, but I'm going to need to be reachable 24-7 for a few months. My plan is to get an emergency phone, only give the number to 3 people, and have a little, rugged phone that I could bring anywhere - including running with me.

I know it's possible that there's a "cheap, light, rugged – pick 2" thing going on, but I'm hoping that by going light on features (no internet, nothing 'smart') there might be something out there.
Any recs on phones? Or, for that matter, pre-paid options?

Thanks,
-Charles
I think you should go to nokia or motorola. both are best. I prefer nokia 1100. It will definitely fulfill your purpose

free test cat test
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one of these:
http://www.bestbuy.com/...73&skuId=2579162

for the cheap, light and simple (cheapest/smallest prepaid Nokia) and in practice pretty rugged. 20$ for the phone and initial minutes, carry it in a ziplock with keys/id.... Check the plans to see how long the minutes last - depending on plan/size it can be 1-12 months. Based on your need it looks like over using the minutes is not likely to be an issue while running.
Quote Reply