Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

changing bike from 7 speed to 10 speed
Quote | Reply
Hi fellow ST,
I currently have a 7 speed road bike and just seeing if it is worth the effort and price to change it over to a 10 speed or just sell it and buy new.
what would I need to purchase to change it over.I already have wheels and a 10 speed cassette.

thanks for all your help/
Quote Reply
Re: changing bike from 7 speed to 10 speed [kangafitness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other stuff you will need are:
  • Front derailleur
  • Rear derailleur
  • Crankset
  • Shifters
  • Chain

Quote Reply
Re: changing bike from 7 speed to 10 speed [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, just the STI shifters and chain (the cassette you have).

All the 7-speed stuff will play nicely with the 10-speed shifters, cassette and chain.

In fact you can even reuse your old 7-speed rear wheel (assuming it's a freehub body), mount 9 of the 10 ten-speed sprockets and set the limit screws accordingly. You'll have a redundant STI shifter click of course.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new cables.??

isthis a easy refit or rebuild or something I should take to a lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dropout spacing on a 7 speed road bike is 126 mm compared to 130mm for modern road bikes. You should be able to squeeze the rear wheel in but it's a pain. Try putting the wheel in to see how much effort is required to spread the rear dropouts.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

I'm guessing a bike that old might have been made for 27 inch wheels and not 700c. This can be an issue if you don't have long reach brakes because 700c are smaller in diameter. Depending on how low or high the rear brake bridge is away from the wheel. Some frames were welded with a lot of clearance which means your brake pads won't line up with the braking track of a 700c wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did this more or less. I went from 8 speed to 11 speed. The project iteself was fun, so if you have the time, money, and are half way decent with a wrench give it a go! You will need a new crankset for sure. I went thru three new chains and could not figure out why the chain would keep breaking. I finally realized that the 8 speed chain rings are a little wider than 11 speed chain rings. As the chain would roll through the rings, it would split the chain and I'd have to walk home.

How I broke down the new bike vs upgrade was to list out the parts I needed (and tools) with price. Compare that $ to the cost of a new bike. For me, upgrading was a better option.
Quote Reply
Re: changing bike from 7 speed to 10 speed [the_thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the_thief wrote:
The dropout spacing on a 7 speed road bike is 126 mm compared to 130mm for modern road bikes. You should be able to squeeze the rear wheel in but it's a pain. Try putting the wheel in to see how much effort is required to spread the rear dropouts.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

I'm guessing a bike that old might have been made for 27 inch wheels and not 700c. This can be an issue if you don't have long reach brakes because 700c are smaller in diameter. Depending on how low or high the rear brake bridge is away from the wheel. Some frames were welded with a lot of clearance which means your brake pads won't line up with the braking track of a 700c wheel.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

This!

There are plenty of 7-speed 700C out there, but the spacing is a problem unless you have a steel frame.
And if it is valuable and collector quality, I would def. take it to a frame builder to get it 'set' for the new spacing.
I just put mine in a vice and built a little rig to make sure I spread the rear triangle apart evenly.

Good luck, it is fun to make old new again.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 7, 17 20:10
Quote Reply