Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calling all crohnies
Quote | Reply
I have seen posts on here before by folks with Crohn's and I was hoping to get some insights into how you have managed your disease and continued to tri. I'm finding it very difficult. Also saw that there may be some ATL crohn's sufferers. Any advice on local GI Dr;s that understand the tri lifestyle would be greatly appreciated. Tks
Quote Reply
Re: calling all crohnies [swimswamswum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a bump for you. jonnyo has Chron's or UC, not sure which (or maybe both).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to the tri stuff, but I do race bikes and I'm able to train a decent amount (530 hrs riding, 17 hrs running, 40+ hrs weights/core in 2016). I'm on Humira. I failed Remicade- note I said that I failed the drug, not the other way around. I've come to realize that these drugs are simply part of the treatment. With Remicade I tried to live/eat/drink like a normal person. With Humira I've been much more disciplined and the results have been fantastic.

Stress management. Work, personal life...I have worked at finding stability and it's been huge. It's not that I don't give a shit about things. It's that I give an appropriate amount of shit. Surround yourself with the right people. Trim the fat.

Sleep. This might be the most important factor for me personally. At least 7 hours a night.

Diet. I'm pretty disciplined. No alcohol. No pasta. No French fries. No potatoes. Bread sparingly. Avoid the processed/refined/added sugars. My girlfriend says I was Paleo before being Paleo was cool. There is no such thing as remission. I have a disease and I'm managing it daily.

Heat. Gotta watch the hard efforts in the heat. They will mess me up/cause a flare. It's part of the reason I focus on cyclocross and mountain bike racing.

All this has landed me in a great place health/fitness wise. Cat 2 cxer and Cat 1 mtber. But much more importantly, I'm healthy and happy. Good luck to you in your journey.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all crohnies [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humira here as well. I've been on it for something like 14 years. It's a tough disease for sure. Started out with multiple resections and then a temporary ileostomy for 12 years. Finally found a good GI doc. That make all the difference in the world. Started Humira, and got shit under control. From there I was able to start training. Still have good days and bad days, but agree with above poster on food. Fried is bad, sugar is bad. Paleo plus rice, seems to work pretty well for me. (no serious salads though). I have also found tendinitis / inflammation can be hard to deal with, so I spend a lot of time with PT and ice as soon as something flares. Getting the disease managed is critical. You've got to get the inflammation down and the colon at least semi healthy. From there a lot of things are possible.

Still have issues with iron absorption and have to go in for IV iron every few months. Going in today for that actually.

Have managed to do 10+ 70.3's though and 1 full though with a PR of a 5:08 (age 46), so not all bad. Signed up for 2 fulls this year, so we'll see how that goes.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all crohnies [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response. I'm so impressed with people who are moving forward and not letting this disease totally wreck them. Gives me hope.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all crohnies [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks blackey. Gives me hope that at some point I can get back to training and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there. Get the health squared away, figure out what works for you as far as lifelstyle/meds, and then think about training. If your symptoms permit, maybe just workout occasionally for fun right now?

Since that post, I've broken up with my girlfriend. Three nights with little sleep and the stress had me worried I'd flare (I'm Crohn's colitis, so BMs change and it's getting easier to identify). I did Canasa two nights, and 10mg of Prednisone Friday morning prophylactically as I was concerned I might flair. Hopefully the nine hours of sleep I got last night will keep me safe. Learning to identify potential triggers is also huge.

Best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! I have been a lurker on this site for a while but have never been compelled to post until now. I have Crohn's (as well as some other autoimmune conditions). I am currently on remicade, and methotrexate. Like others have mentioned, I have found that being super regimented diet wise has been very important for me. To be honest, being super regimented in general really helps me. I always get at least 8 hours of sleep (I try for 9 or 10). I try to keep a schedule that is similar every day. Drinking tons of water also helps me. It is much easier said than done, but keeping the stress down is clutch. I still struggle sometimes and there are definitely good days and bad days. I just try to listen to my body.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all crohnies [t1dtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I do find that lots of water helps. Still learning about everything else though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about fueling during training or races? I am trying the Myers diet, which cuts out everything except veggies, meat and fruit. I'm am soooo hungry on this diet. No bread, grains, sugar, nuts, legumes, etc. What do you eat on long runs or bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I fear I won't be much help with this but since I am not on the Myers diet (it did not do a thing for me). I normally do cliff bars. I have type 1 diabetes in addition for Crohn's so cutting out the carbs and quick sugars was a real challenge for me if my blood sugar went low. I will send this thread to my friend who is on a ketogenic diet... which is kind of similar to the Myers diet. Hopefully he will comment with some more ideas. Sorry I wasn't more help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UC since 2014.

Does anyone also have a heat problem (sweating)?

I sweat enormously during exercise and racing. (Also in the evening when lying in bed). Before UC I never had that problem.

Any remedies?
Quote Reply