Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calling all HED fans...
Quote | Reply
I am about to pick up a pair of Jet 6 blacks!! Pretty excited about it. Wondering what tires do y'all run on it. Ive always used Continental GP4000sII 23mm so wondering if that was fine or should i get the 25mm? Was reading about how the 23mm swell up close to 27/28. I have an older model Felt b2 so i am thinking the 23mm will probably tight as it is. Also i always hang my bikes from the ceiling and was reading about the fairing on the HED's are pretty delicate and I shouldn't do that anymore. Any Chime in? Lastly, being that it is aluminum braking do i need to change my pads out? maybe just put some newer ones on as to not scratch the black track? Hoping i am making the right decision with these over the Mavic CXR 60. The price sure is better!!!
Quote Reply
Re: calling all HED fans... [Sharkbait22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
I am about to pick up a pair of Jet 6 blacks!! Pretty excited about it. Wondering what tires do y'all run on it. Ive always used Continental GP4000sII 23mm so wondering if that was fine or should i get the 25mm? Was reading about how the 23mm swell up close to 27/28. I have an older model Felt b2 so i am thinking the 23mm will probably tight as it is. Also i always hang my bikes from the ceiling and was reading about the fairing on the HED's are pretty delicate and I shouldn't do that anymore. Any Chime in? Lastly, being that it is aluminum braking do i need to change my pads out? maybe just put some newer ones on as to not scratch the black track? Hoping i am making the right decision with these over the Mavic CXR 60. The price sure is better!!!

I rode jet 9s for years. Now doing jet + disc and roval clx64 front. Running turbo cotton 24's on both and they match the brake track well. So far like em better than gp4k2s 23's and waaaayyy better than the 25s which measured 28.2 on my wheel! The TC's roll fast and you can easily change a flat unlike the Corsa speeds which roll a little faster.

Do not hang your bike by the jet wheels. Regular brake pads are what you want, not pads for carbon wheels.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in case you don't want to read the tech notes for the Jet Blacks on their home page ..

3. We do NOT recommend hanging a bike equipped with Jet wheels from hooks - this can damage the carbon skin and will not be covered under warranty.

4. You MUST use brand new brake pads when switching to Ardennes and Jet Black wheels. Old pads may contain metal flakes that can damage the rim finish.

.. and yes the brake track is Al and 23mm GP4kIIs swell up close to 28mm with 100psi.

Have fun, it's a fantastic wheel set!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my HED Belgium+ and the Jets are terrific wheels too. You made the right choice. I have size 23 mm Michelin Pro4's on mine and they measure 25 mm wide when on the HED+ rims. I don't know that tires will "swell" up but maybe they just take the shape of a slightly wider arc (there is a whole confusing debate about this on Velonews right now). I have run Vittoria Open Pave 27 mm's too, and they get to about 28 mm, and tend to stay true to their size. I would just recommend checking tire clearance on your frame if it is older. No need to change pads, but new ones are nice if the cost doesn't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all HED fans... [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the JET+ are 25mm wide at the rim, isn't the 23mm GP4kIIs a sub-optimal as they inflate up to 28mm?

In which case wouldn't 20mm conti GP4kIIs tires be better? However HED recommend 21mm+ tires...

sausskross wrote:

.. and yes the brake track is Al and 23mm GP4kIIs swell up close to 28mm with 100psi.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 18, 17 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: calling all HED fans... [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100psi is max for the blacks and not needed for roadie cases. HED states on their home page that the plus rim was developed with conti 22mm tires but these are not for a miles eating roadie, too ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On tires, depends if you're training or racing. When training I run gp 4000sii. Previously in 25, now running 28s at 60psi or less. They're like butter.

For racing I've been using 23 conti TTs, but will probably switch to the supersonic based on jens new test (Tom we need you to test a new supersonic and a TT on the jet + at 100psi), or the corsa speed depending on how Gerlachs testing goes today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S-Works tubeless 24c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, do not hang bike on hooks, you must use new pads. Shimano pads work the best. Fastest tire on those wheels is continental 22mm attack tire for both front and rear. If you have an older frame, definitely don't go above 23mm tire, it might not fit. I don't think a 23 will stretch to 28, but I have 25s in that are >28mm. The tires are a pain in the keester to get on the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all HED fans... [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you use else? From my experience (17k mls/y) shimano pads work the very worst, not for the pad itself but for the rim. Their braking power and modulation is at the same chart at the same place. Beyond thinking measuring with a caliper and using koolstop salmon helps a lot ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Apr 19, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up Jet 6 Blacks several months ago and love them.

-I am using Continental GP4000sII 23 mm on front and 25 mm on back, on a Cannondale Slice. Running 90 psi, which is a shock since all other wheel sets are tubeless at low pressure.

-Although rim is tubeless, I would not want to try setting it up tubeless with the large and flexy fairing. I picture sealant leaking all over from the valve stem not being tight enough against the rim. I talked to HED on the phone once about going tubeless and the contact did not encourage it.

-I have bikes on hooks in garage but not this one.

-I put on Swiss Stop Original Black pads. I am probably just going to leave the wheels/pads on through the season and not switch pads/training wheels back and forth.

-New tires are very hard to mount. To have a decent chance, watch the HED video on this and push the tire beads into the center of the rim. It was so tough I am reluctant to try to get latex tubes in for race day but may give it a go. I have put 2 oz of tire sealant in my tubes - do not want a flat in a race or even training it is so hard to mount the tire. I think in the future I might mount new tires on a different bike for awhile before putting them on the Jet 6s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per HED they recommend running Conti Attacks front and rear 22mm. My Jet 9+'s I do as recommended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9Loc8xjoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
What did you use else? From my experience (17k mls/y) shimano pads work the very worst, not for the pad itself but for the rim. Their braking power and modulation is at the same chart at the same place. Beyond thinking measuring with a caliper and using koolstop salmon helps a lot ..

HED's recommendation is to use standard Shimano pads. That's all I can tell you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silvercivic27 wrote:
sausskross wrote:

HED's recommendation is to use standard Shimano pads. That's all I can tell you.

For the Blacks, I've found the KoolStop black pads work better than Shimano pads...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not on their homepage, not Andy from Hedtech and not Pepe, the distributer for europe ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Apr 19, 17 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. to the OP, Shimano pads (even the new DA) will rip off the HED Al rims 3 to 4 times faster than KoolStop because they do bad ass collect metal flakes and all kind of dirt, especially in the wet (so that you want to stop and remove it). My first set of HED Jet6+ wheels had to be replaced after 15 months because after 4k mls I changed to KoolStop too late and the brake track was gone after another 16k. Andy from Hedtech and Pepe of HED Europe where very helpful. If a LBS want to recommend Shimano because that is what he has in his drawer, no thank you is a call for HED fans ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Apr 19, 17 22:03
Quote Reply