Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: cadence [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
"I'd be more interested in hearing you comment on what I and others have been hinting at with regards to the litterature seemingly indicating that absolute power has more of an impact on cadence."

what studies are those? there are probably two dozen studies, from the 70s forward, suggesting, as frank day noted, that the energetic optimum was in the neighborhood of 60rpm to 70rpm (depending on rider intensity), that is, if you're simply measuring oxygen consumption, aerobic fatigue, etc., that slow is better than fast. this, altho "freely chosen" cadences always seemed to be around 90rpm in these studies.

then ahlquist came along with a game changer, and was the first to posit that muscle fiber recruitment was a key, essentially saying that we must look at neuromuscular fatigue, not simply aerobic fatigue; the problem being the higher rate of fuel consumption when type II fibers are recruited -- which is what happens as you lower the cadence, increasing the torque required to do the work, which increases type II fiber recruitment.
Huh? Alquist showed what? The fact that efficiency goes down when one has to recruit more fast twitch fibers? That does nothing to my argument because fast twitch recruitment goes up for both too slow cadence and too fast cadence. People should try to race at optimum cadence. Try to ride your bike unloaded at a cadence or 200 and tell me you are not recruiting any fast twitch fibers even though you are putting out zero power. The reason I mention that, in general, lower cadences are better is most are riding at too high a cadence for optimum efficiency. But, a cadence of 10 is not more efficient than a cadence of 70-90, just as a cadence or 140 is not more efficient than a cadence of 70-90. Many things can influence what the optimum cadence is for any individual including what the mix of fiber types they have in their muscles. But, the most important one is probably what power they are riding at. To say that all riders should be riding at the same cadence as what the pro men have gravitated to simply ignores what the science says, IMHO.
In Reply To:

so, you pick your poison. pedal faster and stress your aerobic system. pedal slower and stress your neuromuscular system. somewhere in there is the balance and, i think, this is why cadence rates change based on intensity.
pedal faster and stress your aerobic system. Pedal slower and stress your neuromuscular system? A statement that makes no biological sense to me.
In Reply To:

i think if -- again -- you simply look at what riders tend to do, you'll see that they pedal much faster cadences as their intensity increases. you yourself, i'm guessing, pedal 3 to 6 beats faster in a 70.3 than you do in an IM, and faster yet in an oly. if you don't, okay, but that's the norm.
but, it makes perfect sense because they can sustain higher powers for the shorter periods and the optimum cadence goes up with higher power. If they didn't change their cadence for these different efforts one should question their tactics.
Could it be that her crotch hurt or she had gas? I mean there are many different probabilities for her to be seating up showing bad form. I think unless she clarifies the issue, its all extreme speculation.

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first line of your post should have been "is a red herring" the rest is just speculation. And condescension to the women.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The first line of your post should have been "is a red herring" the rest is just speculation. And condescension to the women."

which post? and, what's the condescending part? where i talk about what marvelous runners they are relative to a generation ago, where the men still average 2:50 throughout the top 5 finishers, and the women have improved from 3:19 to 3:02 over that span of time? that bit of condescension?

look, these are just what the numbers are. these girls more than halved the span between themselves and the top men in the marathon. they've also gotten closer on the swim. but they've gone in the other direction on the bike. maybe it's entirely due to the split start, but i don't think so. after 2004 it was predictable we'd start to get a big influx of women from ITU and NF programs into triathlon. also, we have many, many more women in general attracted to and entering triathlon than we did 16 and 18 years ago. accordingly, the talent is much better. and that shows, in the swim and even more so in the run.

but not on the bike.

is it condescending for me to point this out?

[edit: wait a minute, in retrospect i think my hair trigger might have gone off. i think i probably misunderstood your post]

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 11, 09 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Slowman..... look at all the best girls riding..... low cadance and brett sutton teaching. There is a reason for this. And a reason why they ride so well and can put solid marathon after. It wont work for men but for women.... i think Brett is the expert on teaching girls how to ride....

I don't think their cadences are too low...it's just that they would probably be better off with shorter cranks ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you say this but Brett move mostly everyone to shorter cranks!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to thank Slowman, Bjorn, Day, Tom A, etc for the interesting discussion. As a lurker, it is geat to read their shared knowledge and opinions in an open forum such as this. All of these guys and many others are a great source of information and opportunity for learning and stimulating discussion and further personal experimentation. Again, thank you for having an open discussion/disageement on this subject and many others, I for one, like to hear different opinions and perspectives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you say this but Brett move mostly everyone to shorter cranks!!!!

So...he "prescribes" shorter cranks AND lower cadences?

Man, he must really like them pedaling with HUGE pedal force...

Quote Reply
Re: cadence [wildeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would like to thank Slowman, Bjorn, Day, Tom A, etc for the interesting discussion. As a lurker, it is geat to read their shared knowledge and opinions in an open forum such as this. All of these guys and many others are a great source of information and opportunity for learning and stimulating discussion and further personal experimentation. Again, thank you for having an open discussion/disageement on this subject and many others, I for one, like to hear different opinions and perspectives.

Well...to be fair, I haven't added much to this one besides a couple of smartass comments...although, they WERE written to provoke some thought ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with huge pedal force but lower hr than spinning at 90rpm. Seems to work well for the girls to get them to ride well and run well off the bike.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
with huge pedal force but lower hr than spinning at 90rpm. Seems to work well for the girls to get them to ride well and run well off the bike.

Hmmm...I didn't realize that races were about who had the lowest HR...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
][edit: wait a minute, in retrospect i think my hair trigger might have gone off. i think i probably misunderstood your post]

Hey, maybe mine too...

That said, my point was that without looking at recorded data of cadence (not just counting it off tv) for the entire event, it would be difficult to make ANY statements about it. And I sincerely doubt that there exists a nice fat log of all the winning Kona cadence files out there. Maybe a few for a few athletes, but not the body of evidence you imply to make the magic number 84.

Besides, if you are going to ask the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (and what cadence)...

The answer is 42.

<that is a joke>

Moreso, without knowing the cranklength as well would matter since it appears that AEPV is the limiting factor and that naturally selected cadences var with cranklength (and power).

Cadence is a red herring that you chase. Race at a self-selected cadence and train at it too.

But the idea that someone lost or won and event due to a cadence is mere speculation.

My point about the women is that you can only race against those who show up. And Chrissy has shown she can do that pretty darn well time and again.

This is kind of the same argument as "why hasn't all this technology made event times fall". The answer is that while a tri is in theory a tt style personal effort, since it is mass-started, you really only have to be first. You really only need to be fastest that day, not YOUR fastest.

So saying that "that poop wouldn't fly in the men's race" is condescending, IMHO.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a lot you dont realise ;)

now, stop trolling and reread my post...not just the first line......

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
][edit: wait a minute, in retrospect i think my hair trigger might have gone off. i think i probably misunderstood your post]

Hey, maybe mine too...

That said, my point was that without looking at recorded data of cadence (not just counting it off tv) for the entire event, it would be difficult to make ANY statements about it. And I sincerely doubt that there exists a nice fat log of all the winning Kona cadence files out there. Maybe a few for a few athletes, but not the body of evidence you imply to make the magic number 84.

Besides, if you are going to ask the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (and what cadence)...

The answer is 42.

But wait! You have 2 legs, and 84/2 = 42!

In Reply To:

This is kind of the same argument as "why hasn't all this technology made event times fall". The answer is that while a tri is in theory a tt style personal effort, since it is mass-started, you really only have to be first. You really only need to be fastest that day, not YOUR fastest.

After watching the finish yesterday...I think a big part of it is that the current winners spend WAAAY too much time in the finish chute before actually crossing the line than they used to way back in the days Fleck likes to reminisce about ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there is a lot you dont realise ;)

Oh, there's plenty I don't realize...but, at least I admit it ;-)

In Reply To:
now, stop trolling and reread my post...not just the first line......

I did...but the term "non-sequitur" keeps popping into my head...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow....so now your having a bit of a attitude. Great, i didnt think you were like that. You were a lot nicer and polite when asking for info over Pm awhile ago

good night

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
wow....so now your having a bit of a attitude. Great, i didnt think you were like that. You were a lot nicer and polite when asking for info over Pm awhile ago

good night

Relax...not attitude...just having a bit of fun :-)

What info was I asking for? I forget...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, wait... I didn't even watch it or know who won. I just had to go to the home page to find out that this woman's poor performance, poor cadence selection and time spent upright cost her...

Oh poo.

Nothing.

She won. And she set the course record, she went almost 10 minutes faster than the next cyclist on the bike alone?

Kinda makes my point above.

:D

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Huh? Alquist showed what? The fact that efficiency goes down when one has to recruit more fast twitch fibers?"

what you pointed out several posts up was the literature in the 70s and 80s finding that the energetic optimal was 20 or 30 beats lower than freely chosen cadence, and that academia was at a loss to explain this delta. i agree. and i pointed to ahlquist, who, in '92, explained the delta.

"
fast twitch recruitment goes up for both too slow cadence and too fast cadence."

from ahlquist:
In conclusion, cycling at the same metabolic cost at 50 rather than 100 rev·min–1 results in greater type II fiber glycogen depletion. This is attributed to the increased muscle force required to meet the higher resistance per cycle at the lower pedal frequency. These data are consistent with the view that force development as opposed to velocity of contraction determines the degree of type II fiber recruitment when the metabolic cost of exercise is held constant.
Just because someone says something doesn't make it true. So, I will have to respectfully disagree with what Ahlquist has said here just as I disagreed with Coyle's explanation as to how Armstrong improved his pedaling efficiency that he hypothesized in his paper. So, while you may think Ahlquist settled this issue I would disagree. In fact, he has done no such thing. His explanation is simply a bunch of wishful thinking as far as I am concerned.

The problem is muscle force is more than what is measured on the pedals. It requires muscle force to accelerate the different body parts up to the speed of the pedal as the pedal keeps changing direction. As I said before, try pedaling an unloaded bike at a cadence of 200 and then tell me it requires no muscle force to do so. The faster the pedal is moving the more muscle force is required because the faster the different body parts must be accelerated. So, while there may be more "pedal resistance" at lower pedal speeds for the same power, there is more muscle force required at higher pedal speeds just to get the legs going around fast enough (and there is more internal muscle friction losses at high muscle contractile speed) such that there is more muscle force compared to pedal force at the same power.

Low and behold, at any given power and for any given leg characteristics we would expect a "sweet spot" for pedal speed that would be the most efficient. Efficiency drops below this pedal speed and efficiency drops above this pedal speed, pretty much for the same reason, losses increase at both low and high pedal speeds. Why cyclists choose to pedal usually above this optimal speed remains unanswered as far as I know.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
can you think of any sport where there's no consensus of how the activity is executed? that everybody just flies around doing it his own weird way?
Hitting in baseball.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then ahlquist came along with a game changer, and was the first to posit that muscle fiber recruitment was a key, essentially saying that we must look at neuromuscular fatigue, not simply aerobic fatigue; the problem being the higher rate of fuel consumption when type II fibers are recruited -- which is what happens as you lower the cadence, increasing the torque required to do the work, which increases type II fiber recruitment.

so, you pick your poison. pedal faster and stress your aerobic system. pedal slower and stress your neuromuscular system. somewhere in there is the balance and, i think, this is why cadence rates change based on intensity.

Does that study apply to the bike leg of an Ironman?

The subjects in Ahlquist did 50rpm versus 100rpm at 85% of max aerobic capacity, right? What could we assume to be the percentage of a 112 mile bike leg of a tri? 60-65%?

If we examined the average effective pedal forces, wouldn't there be a lot less difference between 50 to 100 @ 85%, versus 75 to 85 @ 60%?

To add some numbers, and make it a little more concrete, say someone has a 5' max avg power of 350 watts, as a proxy for max aerobic power (I don't know if that's valid or not).

100 rpm on 175mm cranks @ 298 watts (85%) = 162 N
50 rpm on 175mm cranks @ 298 watts = 325 N

diff: 162 N

85 rpm on 175mm cranks @ 210 watts (60%) = 135 N
75 rpm on 175mm cranks @ 210 watts = 153 N

diff: 18 N

How much difference would 18N amount to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats what I keep thinking. Unless its for biomechanical or aerodynamic set up reasons, why would you want someone to have a shorter crank AND a lower cadence ? Doesn't that seem being counter intuitive ? Can anyone comment on any physiological benefits to consider it ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
she's spending a lot of time riding with her hands on the pursuits now. she looks pretty cooked to me
And you think about the cadence??? Sitting up probably means your position is bad, (or she had a bit of back problem or so from before the race). But wait, you already wrote somewhere about slowtwitch approved position and her FIST trained bike fitter...
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But wait, you already wrote somewhere about slowtwitch approved position and her FIST trained bike fitter..."

well, i don't know how i could've written about her fist trained fitter, because i have no idea who her fitter is. but, i do know her fit coordinates, she, along with her bike sponsor, was kind enough to provide them, and i published them here. i think her position is fine.

she did a lot of sitting up in the last 10 or 15 miles, and that's not good. obviously, you can be so dominant as an athlete that you can overcome faults in technique or tactics and win. for example, if chrissie walked the last mile of the marathon, and won in 8:53, she'd be a marvelous athlete who set a new record but, nevertheless, might've not apportioned her energy as effectively as she could have. apparently pointing out possible room for further enhancement in a great athlete's performance is some sort of blasphemy. so, sue me.

i started this thread during the bike leg, pointing out that something was, in my view, less than optimized about how she rode. i also think dave scott was a less than optimized rider, notwithstanding his 6 kona victories. dave was just so optimized in every other way that it largely didn't matter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The position was worked out with Simon, and [Colorado Multisports F.I.S.T.-trained fitter] Ryan Ignatz."

quote from a slowtwitch article. I found that by looking in your article about slowtwitch approved coordinates and then clicking on the related article "chrissie and her cannondale".

Google finds it too. Article written by Dan Empfield...

Now there can be many reasons to sit up during a bike ride. I admit, I do too sometimes. Not due to the fit, but due to lower back pains that are never CAUSED by riding. But I sure feel it when I ride. And sitting up can be much more easy for my back. Maybe she sat up because she fel off the stairs the day before the race. And she went through the whole race with severe pain and set a course record despite this. Who knows. All we know for sure is that her fit and cadence where good enough for a course record on a not so very fast day, given the mens race and the times set by the rest of the women. She also broke a world record with it. And she did that with a world fastest bike split as well. And there were more girls from team tbb riding ugly but doing just fine. All these girls IMPROVED since they became part of team tbb. The list of women who went to tbb and improved by 20 + mins is large. So looking at improvements I think it is fair to say, the rest of world should learn something from tbb athletes.

And about the mens race, I think that in the mens race, most men underperform on the run. I think that pro men run times compared to the women are slow. The list of very fast oly distance and 70.3 runners who can not run 2:50 is amazing to me. That is something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Google finds it too. Article written by Dan Empfield"

ah, yes, the 52 year old memory fails me again. but, with google, who needs memory?

"
due to lower back pains that are never CAUSED by riding. But I sure feel it when I ride"

if you get lower back pain during a ride, i'm fairly confident it's a position problem. usually, cockpit. a cockpit too long means you're holding your upper body weight up in part with spinal erectors.

in chrissie's case, her cockpit is fine. so, i doubt she had any lower back pain (except, sure, as you say, should could have a back tumor, an alien could've bitten her in her back, yes, all these things might be the case). i'm guessing one of two things: 1) she was a bit cooked (and she can be forgiven for that after riding 4:50ish); 2) saddle soreness, in which case, maybe she's riding her perfect saddle, maybe not.

but if she's a bit overcooked, then, would riding 5 beats faster help that? it seemed to make a big difference to lance, that is to say, were lance riding his "self-selected cadence" the way many on this board think we should all ride, both he and his coach would tell you it's questionable whether his career would've taken the turn it did.

but, maybe her cadence is good for her. but, if it is, it's an outlier's cadence. and, if you want to be an outlier, i think the onus is on you to demonstrate why. not to me! not to people on this board. not to the sport, or the spectators. rather, to you, yourself. if you're an outlier, you should satisfy yourself that your deviation from the norm is appropriate. this is only prudent. for example, faris' long, loping, running technique. that's an outlier's technique. he won kona. so, is that the proof that his running technique is his best running technique? or, is there another 5 minutes worth of marathon inside that body?

"
And there were more girls from team tbb riding ugly but doing just fine. All these girls IMPROVED since they became part of team tbb."

well, i'm sorry, i know i'm not going to make very many friends, but, absent chrissie (who has a dave scott engine downsized to fit inside a 115 pound frame), i just don't see that the team tbb girls are better riders or overall better athletes than the rest of the field. they do big miles, they train in enclaves, they have a lot of good things going for them, but, i just don't see the payoff, the breakout performers. mind, we have loretta, siri, jackie, nicki, and you just have to acknowledge brett's ability with short coursers. but, when the ITU prompted brett to switch to long coursers, i don't see what you all seem to see. this is not to denigrate these athletes, rather, based on his short course performers, one would think that we'd have sub-9:25 kona performers coming out our ears.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next