Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

brake pad instal help please
Quote | Reply
I am attempting to install my new kool stop dura II cartridge pads into my new Shimano 6800 brakes and am having a tough time. The pads don't simply slide in like they did when I had changed out the pads on my old 5700 brakes. As a sanity check I tried putting the stock Ultegra pads back in and they slid right in. I am attempting to put the pad marked R for "right" on the right side (driveline side) and the keeper screw is backed out plenty. The kool stops seem significantly beefier in the area that slides into the caliper. Am I missing something or has anyone else had this problem?

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: brake pad instal help please [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with my Kool Stops. Finally got both pads in by: 1) Taking out the keeper screws 2) Rubbing my fingers on the new pads along the holder's contact areas to transfer over some skin oil, and 3) Using all the finger muscles I got.
Quote Reply
Re: brake pad instal help please [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey mate, sometimes I have found some brands of pads are a snugger fit... I usually get a stanly knife and slowly shave a little bit off both sides of the part which is sliding in until it fits...
If you jam them in then it's no fun when it comes time to get them out...
Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: brake pad instal help please [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
I had the same issue with my Kool Stops. Finally got both pads in by: 1) Taking out the keeper screws 2) Rubbing my fingers on the new pads along the holder's contact areas to transfer over some skin oil, and 3) Using all the finger muscles I got.

This was it. I took a cue from your "skin oil" suggestions and put a light layer of lube on the edges of the pad. Slid in far easier and I am good to go! I was afraid I was going to have to buy the specific cartridge holder from koolstop but was suspecting I was missing something as I have never had this problem before.

Cheers!

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply