Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

booties and Art Franke
Quote | Reply
Art, I did a ocean swim in booties today. The water was 58, what a great wake up!. The booties were surfer type, with a split toe and velcro straps to keep it tight. They worked well. My pals toes froze, mine were tostie. I drag my legs., only a weak kick every now and then. My feet did float higher in the water so my kick was a very little weird, but not bad. There was zero sloshing of water and I AM glad I got them. I will continue the winter using them. Oh yeah, the best investment continues to be a squid lid, you should get one for alcatraz. It does stop brain freeze! I was in the water for 40 min or so and comforaable until the last 5 min. Good luck

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: booties and Art Franke [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So where do I get a pair of those booties?

Alcatraz beckons.

Frigid in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: booties and Art Franke [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bet a surf shop on the Atlantic coast would have them. Oneil makes good ones as does body glove. In fact a dive shop would also have them. The squid lid is available from QR and deSoto. Buy the booties one size small for a tight fit. Email me if you have trouble, slarso@pacbell.net.

good luck at alcatraz!
Quote Reply
Re: booties and Art Franke [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for the lead. Looks like Alcatraz is going to be me against a relay team of my son and two nephews. No contest.

They are going to crush me.

Frigid in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Art,

Did you hear about the Escape TO Alacatraz tri in Clermont in late February? It is USAT qualifier for the real deal and is set up in a similar fashion re: distance, hills and I presume water temperature given the time of the year. Could be interesting. A few friends of mine are taking the plunge. I'm still debating. The segment ratios neutralize my strength - i.e., short bike course relative to the swim and run. But it could be cool.

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: booties and Art Franke [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I heard of it. I will probably do either that race or the 12 hour bike race in Sebring. They are the same day. I am leaning toward the bike race since I already got in viathe lottery.

Check out the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more good thing about the booties, they have a semi hard sole so, especially at alcatraz, you can run from the water to T1 without leaving shoes there. the run there from the water exit to t1 is longer than usual. Once you get the hang of it, they are a snap to get off but might add 30 sec. to t1 time.

Steve

Steve
Quote Reply