Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike training question...
Quote | Reply
does anyone out there train with a 55t or 56t outer chain ring and then race in a 52t or 53t? any thoughts as to whether this would be effective training? i was considering trying it to get in some even more big gear work. pros/cons of this theory? and does anyone know of where i could get a cheap ring of the 55t/56t variety? thanks in advance...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: bike training question... [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, that's kind of an opposite concept to some more traditional cycling training philosophy. Perhaps reading some of the information on cadence may be of use to you when evaluating this type of training. Remember how important it is to maintain an appropriate cadence for you. It varies from individual to individual. I might suggest that using very large gears could potentially improve your power in the same way a weight workout would, but I would voice the normal concerns over knees, hips and ankles. I swear I don't work for Frank Day but I do sell (and use) Powercranks. They're pricey but IMHO worth it. Have you ever considered trying them as an alternative? If you are lloking for a sensation of "resistance" from your training you'll get that even in aneasy gear with Powercranks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: bike training question... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually do have power cranks already and without getting that debate going again will just simply say that they seem to work for me. i try to alternate between big gear mashing/low gear cadence work as much as possible to maintain leg speed and build power. in fact, one of my favorite workouts is to do 5 minute intervals in each gear going from from 39x11 to 53x11(or vice versa) works power and leg speed in one workout. anyways, i was just trying to think of a way to get even more out of the workouts in an effort to get myself comfortable spinning in a 53x15.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try motorpacing. or if you can get on a Computrainer do some long downhill intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long have you had them? Where are you in the transition?

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw Mike Plumb training on a 60t last fall! I train on a 53 on the trainer and race on a 42/54 for flat TT's. It matters little in what size gears you use for training, many riders train in smaller gears and build up. It is a personal thing really. You should research your gearing choices, Sleldon Brown's web site is a good start
Quote Reply
Re: bike training question... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure where i am in the transition, you tell me. i have been using them pretty steady probably since the beginning of january. here are some numbers--nothing scientific--pre-power cranks i would spin a 53x19 at 98-105 rpm's or thereabouts. HR in the mid to low 130's. now i am in a 53x17/15 for 1 to 1.5 hours at 81-84 rpm's. in a 53x17 my HR is in the low 130's(well rested). 53x15 i am in the 140's, sometimes lower. don't have access to any power readings, so i have no idea if/how that has changed. i think i am slightly faster than pre-pc's, certainly no worse. i want to feel comfortable in the 53x15, and i am not quite there yet.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trend in pro cycling has been towards higher cadence in lower gears. Higher cadence racing and training reduces the strain on your knees and shifts the strain to your cardiovascular system. There is a lot to be said for protecting your knees--- Knee problems hobble plenty of cyclists.

Most coaches do recommend low RPM intervals as a part of the training program, but you can usually get enough resistance for these intervals from the hills in your area. (BTW, headwinds also work pretty well for this.)

My vote is for you to keep your existing gearing and focus on developing a fluid and fast spin. You can add in one or two days a week of seated climbs for power work. (Joe Friel and Chris Carmichael describe good power intervals in their training books.)

-MK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are just getting to the point where you will start to see some real speed and power improvements, at least for short periods. As you start to ride faster you are either going to have to push the cadence up or switch to a bigger gear.

There is really no reason for you not to go to a 58 and race on it. A 58 is only 5% bigger than a 53 so a 5% bigger cog gives you the same gear overall, so a 58 16 is about the same as a 53 15. The difference, is you have a lot more capability on the downhills, you can keep pedaling on those downhills when you have spun out your 53/12, at least until you have spun out the 58/12.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply