Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
bike shop refund fee
Quote | Reply
My partner very nicely bought me a gift cert for a local bike shop to buy a bike. When she bought it she told them I might have another bike in mind and if so could she get a refund. They told her that yes they would credit her card back and they said there would probably be a processing fee. She didn't ask for the details of the fee which yes, was a mistake. I didn't want to buy a bike from that shop so she asked for a refund and had some hassles finally getting one, and then was told that the processing fee is $100. She complained that it was too much and they said "well we have to make something off of this". Really all "this" involved was charging her card and then a month later refunding her card.
We are in CA and there is a law regarding gift certificates that says:
Q.4. Can the holder of a gift certificate or gift card redeem it for cash?

A. This depends on the policy of the seller. The gift certificate law states that a seller must either redeem a gift certificate or gift card sold after January 1, 1997, for its cash value, or replace it with a new certificate or card at no cost "

Does anyone know whether this applies in this case? I can understand a fee to cover any credit card transaction fees they might have incurred, but I would assume that is a lot less than $100. Also am I right to think this is ridiculous? I felt bad not buying a bike from them after she went to all the trouble, but now with this experience I'm glad I didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about refunds, but they get a 3% or so charge for credit card processing. Was that a $10,000 gift card?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was $4000. So if the shop was charged 3% by the credit card processing company then that actually would be over $120. That seems like a lot. They really charge that much?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, it looks like you are out of luck. You can try to appeal to their sense of good will and reason. Perhaps they will knock down that fee to sometime closer to their CC fee.

Next time, consider a universal gift card that is instantly transferable to cash, is accepted anywhere and will never expire (if you happen to leave CA)...money.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Not sure about refunds, but they get a 3% or so charge for credit card processing. Was that a $10,000 gift card?

It depends on what card, their contract, and how many people used cards that billing cycle.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
It was $4000. So if the shop was charged 3% by the credit card processing company then that actually would be over $120. That seems like a lot. They really charge that much?

3% is pretty typical, but it varies by type of card and the processor. Mileage, or point/reward, cards will cost the retailer a higher percentage. Yes the retailer is who pays for your reward points.

That said, in the case of a refund, the card processor should refund a portion of that processing fee back to the retailer. How much will vary by card processing company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which shop? so we can avoid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually the retailer probably got hit with the fee for the refund transaction as well. Credit card companies never lose money.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:

I would not be so quick to avoid the shop. They probably got charged around the $120 CC fee. In their (the cc company) eyes, a transaction happened......and the bike shop will not be getting any refund. Your charge of $100 seems reasonable.......don't lose a lot of sleep over it. Next time have your partner pay by check.
Last edited by: gphin305: Nov 21, 14 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a new lifelong customer is gained, the $100 will be a drop in the bucket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: How is this Credit Card transaction different from others in which full refunds are always implemented with no "processing fee" ?
Last edited by: Brushman: Nov 21, 14 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Question: How is this Credit Card transaction different from others in which full refunds are always implemented with no "processing fee" ?

It's not different.....but a company like a LLBean or Zappos or any other large retailer that provides a lot of refunds will have a much different deal with a Visa or MC than a small independent bike shop. And whatever the deal is.....whether they pay a fee or not for providing refunds is built into the cost of business. In this case, if it is a small independent bike shop......they probably got charged.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:

I always wonder...how long before people with your attitude have no stores at which to shop, other than online?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
My partner very nicely bought me a gift cert for a local bike shop to buy a bike. When she bought it she told them I might have another bike in mind and if so could she get a refund. They told her that yes they would credit her card back and they said there would probably be a processing fee. She didn't ask for the details of the fee which yes, was a mistake. I didn't want to buy a bike from that shop so she asked for a refund and had some hassles finally getting one, and then was told that the processing fee is $100. She complained that it was too much and they said "well we have to make something off of this". Really all "this" involved was charging her card and then a month later refunding her card.
We are in CA and there is a law regarding gift certificates that says:
Q.4. Can the holder of a gift certificate or gift card redeem it for cash?

A. This depends on the policy of the seller. The gift certificate law states that a seller must either redeem a gift certificate or gift card sold after January 1, 1997, for its cash value, or replace it with a new certificate or card at no cost "

Does anyone know whether this applies in this case? I can understand a fee to cover any credit card transaction fees they might have incurred, but I would assume that is a lot less than $100. Also am I right to think this is ridiculous? I felt bad not buying a bike from them after she went to all the trouble, but now with this experience I'm glad I didn't.

If you are spot on with the quote from the LBS, it sounds like everyone is looking at this from the wrong angle talking about credit card fees. IMO "well we have to make something off of this" implies that they are looking to profit from the situation. Not that they are trying to recover credit card fees lost in the transaction and then subsequent refunding.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [jk9270] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jk9270 wrote:
Actually the retailer probably got hit with the fee for the refund transaction as well. Credit card companies never lose money.

Why would they get dinged on the refund? That makes no sense.

Also, my airline miles earned are taken away when there's a refund, why would the shop still be paying the fee?
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
jk9270 wrote:

Why would they get dinged on the refund? That makes no sense.

Also, my airline miles earned are taken away when there's a refund, why would the shop still be paying the fee?
Doesn't make sense. Still happens. It is the reason skyscrapers and football stadiums are named after banks.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
winchester wrote:

I always wonder...how long before people with your attitude have no stores at which to shop, other than online?

John

17 years, 5 months, 22 days and approximately 8 hours by my calculations.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
If you are spot on with the quote from the LBS, it sounds like everyone is looking at this from the wrong angle talking about credit card fees. IMO "well we have to make something off of this" implies that they are looking to profit from the situation. Not that they are trying to recover credit card fees lost in the transaction and then subsequent refunding.

I would read the "have to make something" as having to make something to cover the CC fee they are being charged.....and not making a profit on something like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Brushman wrote:

It's not different.....but a company like a LLBean or Zappos or any other large retailer that provides a lot of refunds will have a much different deal with a Visa or MC than a small independent bike shop. And whatever the deal is.....whether they pay a fee or not for providing refunds is built into the cost of business. In this case, if it is a small independent bike shop......they probably got charged.

Correct. It depends on what type of contract the retailer has with their acquiring bank. That said, the retailer cannot implement a refund policy on the fly as they seem to have done in the OP's situation. It is required by the merchant to disclose refund policies to credit card holders at the time of purchase.

If the retailer insists on the charge, the OP's best bet is to call their card issuing bank and see if you can dispute the fee. In the US, the credit card holder has the most protection.

Finally, I hope this is a lesson learned that you shouldn't buy a gift card if you know the person you're giving it too might not want it or want a refund for it. You probably would have been better off asking the bike shop for an unloaded gift card that you could present to him as a gift, and if he did want to make the purchase from that bike shop, then you go ahead and load the card. That way, nobody loses money in wasted transaction fees.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because retailers get dinged every time a card is swiped as that is a transaction that has to be processed by the card company.

Heck we pay a small fee just for checking the balance on a gift card

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

I would read the "have to make something" as having to make something to cover the CC fee they are being charged.....and not making a profit on something like this.

True. It could just be poor word choice which caused the misunderstanding. If I am hitting someone for $100 dollars without giving them a product I would give them an explanation with a little more detail in order to quell the situation. I would be going in with the assumption that they are probably going to be pissed. More along the lines of:

"I apologize for the situation. However, we have to recover the fee we were charged for the transaction."

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transaction fees are typically refunded by the cc company, so the bike shop is a worst out some swipe fees ($0.30 x 2 ...so less than $1). IMO they are trying to profit a bit off this which is stupid when you have a local customer who is willing to drop thousands at your shop.

Look at it this way, if you'd bought merchandise at the shop and then returned it unused there would be no fee.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Transaction fees are typically refunded by the cc company, so the bike shop is a worst out some swipe fees ($0.30 x 2 ...so less than $1). IMO they are trying to profit a bit off this which is stupid when you have a local customer who is willing to drop thousands at your shop.

Look at it this way, if you'd bought merchandise at the shop and then returned it unused there would be no fee.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
returning a gift card is lame, in this case it sounds like they deserved it though.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shop refund fee [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Sorry......but this is not correct. There typically is a fee to the merchant......it's called an "interchange" fee which is part of the processing fee by a CC company for the transaction. Sometimes they refund and sometimes they don't. Again, it all depends on what the merchant originally negotiated with the CC company. Again, an LL Bean, Zappos, Walmart, etc etc will certainly have negotiated favorable conditions. A local independent bike shop....who knows?

But agree, a $4K purchase on a credit card that has a good chance of not going through is probably not the best idea
Last edited by: gphin305: Nov 21, 14 14:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next