Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
bike for toddlers?
Quote | Reply
looking at getting a bike for my 2 year old. Done some research and FirstBike looks like a good option (high quality, good design).
Any others I should consider? Quality is much more important than cost. Besides, even an "expensive" toddler bike only costs the same as 2 sets of conti GP4000s ;-)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just get a toddler bike and remove the drive-train?
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Why not just get a toddler bike and remove the drive-train?

having a drive train doesn't bother me - I could just put training wheels on. I just don't know what the full scope of my options are and pros/cons of each.
I've heard these "balance bikes" are good in terms of the skills that they learn

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing I've seen over and over again are when kids learn balance first. Don't use training wheels. They pick it up pretty quick and when they are ready for a pedal bike then all they need to learn is the pedaling and that usually happens very fast. Check out the Scoot or Strider bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the optimal progression as I see it (all with the same bike).

• Buy a toddler bike and remove the drive-train (crankset, pedals & chain) - makes it essentially equivalent to a balance bike & when they've mastered that...

• Put the drive-train back with training wheels (adjust the seat height if necessary) & when they've mastered that...

• Remove training wheels & when they've mastered that start looking at faster bikes!

This process saves you from buying two bikes (a balance bike and then a toddler bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got these spherevelo bikes for our kids and they were able to ride them from 1 year on. They are awesome

http://www.amazon.com/...f=pd_sl_6jz8aa88w6_e
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only skill a kid needs to be usually told is how to use the coaster break. That should take around 10-15 seconds...Push bike or training wheels, it doesn't matter. When you're a kid you just try things till you get it. Only as adults do we worry that we're doing it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely get a balance bike. Specialized, Norco & Giant all make their own version of them. We went with the Strider because it was the only one that my son could actually sit on with his feet flat on the ground (he's tiny).

Once they can steer & balance, adding in pedals is no big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice! I see specialized even has geometry specs... I just need to fine tune the stack and reach now. at least it's more aero without pedals ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ZUM bike is pretty good too.

It flips over to "grow" with the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once they've mastered balancing do you then have to go purchase another bike with a drive train or do these convert?

5 kids later I've taught all of mine the same way... purchased a toddler bike, taken off the pedals and lowered the seat turning it into what you've referenced above, a balance bike. Once they can balance enough to coast and turn i slap the pedals back on and within a day or 2 they're zooming around pedaling. Slowly adjust the seat higher over the coming weeks to suit them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a Skuut from REI for our son. Used it for 3 weeks and he figured it out. Got him a regular bike WITHOUT training wheels and he never fell. Not once. Check Craigslist for any of the balance bikes that are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert, that looks kinda like the http://www.wheelybug.com/ which we happened to get for our new-born.

Instead, our two year-old jumped on it and within a week of riding the wheelybug was finally on her Strider bike and within a week of that was doing track stands on the Strider. The progress is so fast and there is no way we will be going to training wheels. (Learning to pedal on a big-wheel at school). She can pretty much do the bumps at our local bike parks on the Strider. As a cycling parent- it does not get much better.

Check your local kids used stores or craigslist. That firstbike looks spendy.

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [chrisfreemanca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think these convert, no

5 kids??? Wow - respect!

Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Spherovelo only has 2 wheels, and the training wheels come off easily. So it is more of a strider, but can be started earlier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the last pic you can see one with the training wheels, and the one in front without.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ke_-_Day_3_3041.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
In the last pic you can see one with the training wheels, and the one in front without.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ke_-_Day_3_3041.html

The Spherovelos look cool - my son is 2 (and tall for his age) - is that too old for one of them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no shi#, that is cool...thanks for the correction

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our twins turn 2 on Saturday and this is a recent pic of one of them on it. If he is really tall maybe not. Jordan Rapp's son has one too and he is 2.5.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't want to hijack the thread, but at what age are kids mastering the balance bike and moving to the pedal bike?

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCOTTinNJ wrote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but at what age are kids mastering the balance bike and moving to the pedal bike?

that hijack is fine - I'd also like to know

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd just get some cheap kids bike and remove the pedals and set the seat low.

If I had it to do over I'd not have introduced training wheels at all, just keep the seat low and kids can use their feet as training wheels.

You don't need to spend a lot of money, ask your friends with kids, someone has one and they just don't get a lot of usage at that age

Once they get it, no keeping them off the bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsxntli_1kM

my daughter liked her training wheels because she could stop her bike wherever and put flowers and pine cones in her basket and it wouldn't tip over
my son likes his run bike on the local pump track - great place to teach them if you have one nearby and its a bonus when they see you having fun too
Quote Reply
Re: bike for toddlers? [Donjek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donjek wrote:
like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsxntli_1kM

my daughter liked her training wheels because she could stop her bike wherever and put flowers and pine cones in her basket and it wouldn't tip over
my son likes his run bike on the local pump track - great place to teach them if you have one nearby and its a bonus when they see you having fun too

love the video!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strider bike-the best.

Bought one for my son for his 2nd birthday, rode it a little bit before winter, this year has been tearing it up, rides well is well balanced and sweetness to my ears "Daddy, I want to go for a bike ride" nearly every day. He is just over three and I think he will be ready for a real bike with pedals by 4. I understand the transition from balance bike to regular pedal bike to be a matter of minutes as they have the balance part down.

"If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health"
- Hippocrates, 460-370 BC
Quote Reply

Prev Next