Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike components in flood - still usable?
Quote | Reply
I haven't raced in a long while. In the process of moving after school I stored my disassembled bikes (among other things) in my parents' basement. The basement flooded. Because they weren't there, and because a third party handled the cleanup, it's unclear exactly which components were under water and for how long.

I feel uncomfortable assembling bikes out of these components. Am I crazy?

Is there any way to tell if their structural integrity is compromised?

Insurance is willing to replace what I "prove" to be damaged, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: bike components in flood - still usable? [rus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rus wrote:
I haven't raced in a long while. In the process of moving after school I stored my disassembled bikes (among other things) in my parents' basement. The basement flooded. Because they weren't there, and because a third party handled the cleanup, it's unclear exactly which components were under water and for how long.

I feel uncomfortable assembling bikes out of these components. Am I crazy?

Is there any way to tell if their structural integrity is compromised?

Insurance is willing to replace what I "prove" to be damaged, but I'm not sure how to do that. Any ideas?

Have you looked at them? It depends on how long they were underwater and how they were handled afterwards. In general, aluminum will be fine. I would plan on completely disassembling and replacing cables, tires, tubes, bearings, etc.

If they were steel framed bikes they were likely waterlogged and will potentially rust through. It isn't like a car where you have to worry about electrical systems, mold, and engine component corrosion. You should be able to see everything to know where you stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tear it all apart, and rebuild it while checking each piece. At the least I'd replace all the cables and housing and check the bearings on the headset and bottom bracket as well as hubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh or salt water? If it's salt water, it's not likely to be usable as salt water absolutely destroys stuff, speaking as someone who has lost a bike and had damage on another from coastal flood. If it's fresh water, maybe. At the very least, make sure everything is decontaminated, as flood waters have a lot of nasty stuff in them.

As far as proving damage, look for rust, any mark of debris on the bikes, etc. and take lots of pictures, including serial numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: bike components in flood - still usable? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's part of the problem. I haven't seen them, I have zero idea how long they were submerged, and I don't know how everything was cared for when it was out of my possession.

My parents were gone for a bit. At some point about a week after they left, it was realized that the basement was flooded. A third party was brought in to drain the water and remove the contents of the basement. The clothes were all cleaned, but everything else was put in a warehouse for many months.
Quote Reply
Re: bike components in flood - still usable? [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My MTB never got muddy and wet for the 3 years I raced it. I never rode it in the winter on salty MI roads.

After I rode my tri bike across a flooded road for 400y I completely tore it down to the frame and replaced every component.

Put all those parts in a box and mail them to me.

Dude, it's not like a car where you have upholstery, electronics, etc. A few parts like bearing could be questionable, but most will just need to be rinsed off. Have you see how hard chain lube and other grease is to get off your hands? The key is to get it rinsed off with clean water as soon as possible and ideally before it dries. Corrosion accelerates as and minerals and chemicals are concentrated as the water evaporates off the surface and concentrates them as well as allowing more oxygen exposure.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever sweat? Wash the bike?

I don't see "how long" being an issue, though material may play into it some. For example, if composite, wet/dry strengths can be different. For aluminum, any evidence of pitting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those things are all thrash now. Put them all in a box, and I will pick them up to dispose them for you. You live in NYC so I can pass by anytime you want : 24/7. Tell your insurance that they are totally unusable and you threw them away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with tigermilk and oceanswimmer, the parts are probably fine if it's fresh water - and just need to be cleaned up (except if a chain is involved, it's probably rusted solid). Deciding whether to clean and use the parts depends on their age and initial quality (vintage Suntour vs. Dura Ace). Good luck
Quote Reply