Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
best frame for cx/gravel/road
Quote | Reply
whats anyones opinion on what frame works best for the occasional cx race, decent amount of road, and some gravel/dirt road riding. let me here your thoughts?
Diverge?
Crux?
Boone?

my thought is pretty much any cx bike with disc brakes, the right gearing, and two sets of wheels, and I should be good to go. not super super serious about any one of the three disciplines but do get a little competitive from time to time.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you be interested in a titanium frame?
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prob open to anything. aren't they usually a little more pricey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at Niner and also the Salsa Warbird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really enjoyed my Santa Cruz Stigmatta CC built with Red. it's a fast fun bike. If I was to build a gravel specific bike I'd go Ti, mainly just because Ti is smooth.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
whats anyones opinion on what frame works best for the occasional cx race, decent amount of road, and some gravel/dirt road riding. let me here your thoughts?
Diverge?
Crux?
Boone?

my thought is pretty much any cx bike with disc brakes, the right gearing, and two sets of wheels, and I should be good to go. not super super serious about any one of the three disciplines but do get a little competitive from time to time.

3T Exploro

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I primarily ride gravel and am REALLY happy with my Ridley X-bow. Great price point, handles great. Has a high BB so it has some toe overlap and sizes run really big. I am a 56-58 road bike, and 54cm Ridley is perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Ridley X-bow and I agree with the poster's comments above (...the toe-overlap is noticeable).

Giant TCX. really hits a good price point. I'd add them to your list.

I have a Norco Threshold and love it.

These bikes are a lot of fun and really versatile!

Happy hunting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crux or Boone if you want to race cross too. The Niner drop bar line is nice too, and your $ doesn't go to supporting frivolous lawsuits and ebikes. Raleigh has nice cross geometry too.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [OldnFat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldnFat wrote:
Crux or Boone if you want to race cross too. The Niner drop bar line is nice too, and your $ doesn't go to supporting frivolous lawsuits and ebikes. Raleigh has nice cross geometry too.

I beat the hell out of my Boone riding gravel and I like it a lot. I thought I'd put slicks on it for a road ride. It felt sluggish compared to my Lynsky Ti road bike (mr obvious). My point is all bikes are designed for their specific function. Are there any multi-purpose bikes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an Open U.P. - its beautiful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Diverge?
Crux?
Boone?

I have owned two Crux's and ridden the boone and Open UP. The only bike that i have ridden that is a true do it all is the Open UP, it is really incredible, hard to describe. It's only weakness might be the really technical turns in some cross races. It's price is the real issue and something that put it out or reach for me personally.

I use a Crux with Canti brakes for a gravel/cross and occasional road riding. I use canti brakes because i don't need to buy new wheels. My old crux was a disc version (much better brakes hands down) and got tired of having two different wheel standards. If you have the money the disc brakes are better for this application. From your three options handling is going to be very similar, i personally would go with either the Crux or Boone, both are fine. I use a 1x system and swap out chainrings between cross and gravel. 50 for gravel and 44 for cross. You can get a 52-53 1x ring on the crux but you have to use spacers to push the ring out further. Since you are interested in cross that will be the lowest common denominator eliminating the diverge/exploro/open up. Ideally own two wheelsets, one tubeless training set with gravel/all around tires and another tubular set for cross.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Diverge?
Crux?
Boone?

I have 4 bikes; 1 carbon tribike, 1 Ti cx frame which is mostly for sunday rides, and 2 cro-moly commuters.
The Titanium is my fave, but my Marinoni columbus 531 is a close second.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/...esis-volare-953.html

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing that with my Boone for the last two seasons. I would run a double chain ring so you have enough range for road applications. It seems to handle fine on the road. Punched out 120km on it this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Niner BSB RDO. Can take up to 40c tires...great geometry.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others here, Crux or Boone if you will lean toward racing more, but these are good do-it-all bikes too. I also like the Diverge for all around duties, and it has eyelets/fittings for rack and fenders should you want the ability to do some touring.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Niner BSB RDO. Can take up to 40c tires...great geometry.

The BSB is a hard-core, race-focused CX bike. The new RLT RDO sounds more like what the OP is looking for...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a GT Grade gravel bike. Got it from performance bike for 2k with SRAM force hydro and stand tubeless wheels. For the money, it can't be beat. I have raced gravel grinders and done fast group rides on it without issue. I wish it had clearance for 650b wheels, but that's my only gripe.

It's the bike I beat the hell out of and ride in crappy conditions. So far it's taken everything I can throw at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
diamondback haanjo

$2300/2500/3100 builds, tire clearance for 2.1 MTB, rack/fender, flat mount disc + thru axles
Last edited by: dtaco: Jan 23, 17 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting patiently for the new Orbea Terra.

The classic Garneau Steeple X has tire clearance for 40mm and geometry that would be pretty decent on gravel and road.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jan 23, 17 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE my 3T Exploro. The stack and reach is very similar to my tarmac pro, so it feels great as a road bike. It has an aero design (by a Vroomen formerly of Cervelo) and it's light weight, even for a road bike. It's heavier than my trek emonda SLR, but lighter than my tarmac pro frame.

It has massive front tire clearance, and very good rear clearance too. My 700x40 tires that measure 43mm on the wide rims i use have plenty of clearance. You can also run 650B mountain bike wheels with a 2.1 inch tire.

Riding it, it doesn't feel like a bike that is mediocre at everything. It feels like the best gravel bike and a very high performing road bike. I haven't had it on a mountain bike trail yet, so i can't comment on that. I will probably stick to my stumpjumper, at least until i have some 650b wheels to use it with.

For all around gearing, i like a compact (50/34) up front, a long cage rear derailleur, and an 11-32 rear.

edit: The second best frame is the Felt F1X. Still a lot of tire clearance (not as much as the 3T), great handling, smooth riding bike. It works for Wout. If you ride a 56, i have one for sale :)
Last edited by: sxevegan: Jan 23, 17 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a 2017 Salsa Warbird carbon frame with SRAM Force1 build. Great "do anything" bike. It is a fast bike. I suggest you check it out, read some reviews etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to get a bit more specific. Price range? Any "musts" like mounts for a fender or 3rd bottle cage? Is this something you're going to commute on and leave locked up outside the gym/work? Do you have any specific events you want to conquer? What kind of bikes (and size) do you ride now and like?

Sure a 3T Exploro or Open U.P. are beautiful and make you think you could ride anything, but no way I would spend that kind of money for something to ride in less than ideal conditions. The best adventures involve b roads so thick with mud that you have to stop and clear out your frame and fork with sticks and tire levers. But if somebody gave me an Open U.P., I would certainly use it!

You could also jump into something like 2017 Haanjo Comp that really has no weaknesses (maybe tires?) in its spec, a frame and fork with nearly 2 inches of tire clearance and a pricetag that probably means you won't cry over paint chips and scrapes or hesitate to commute on it too. The options have exploded over the last year or two, so you can be more specific (picky). Otherwise you're just going to hear recommendations of what everybody already owns or wish they owned. While I have two CX specific bikes, I can't say I would recommend one if you really think you'll get into the gravel scene. There's very few that can fit a legit 40mm tire and I really liked the additional stack, chainstay length and mounts when I did have a 'gravel' bike before. I suppose you can ride just about anything on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

Sure a 3T Exploro or Open U.P. are beautiful and make you think you could ride anything, but no way I would spend that kind of money for something to ride in less than ideal conditions. The best adventures involve b roads so thick with mud that you have to stop and clear out your frame and fork with sticks and tire levers. But if somebody gave me an Open U.P., I would certainly use it!

But isn't it WAY more fun to ride said B roads that are thick with mud, and not HAVE to stop and clear out your frame because you have adequate clearance?????
Quote Reply
Re: best frame for cx/gravel/road [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well played! I suppose I have only had to do that with my cx bike, but it would have much more fun to keep going.

What tires are you running in those pics? That's certainly a nice looking setup.
Quote Reply

Prev Next