Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

benefits of newer tri specific bikes
Quote | Reply
I am considering buying a 2014 tri bike (specialized shiv, cervelo p5, etc.) to replace a 2007 cervelo p3 carbon. other than the fun i will have building the new bike, what are the benefits i can expect for IM races?
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [bcendrars456] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New frames are quite high cost, low return items. Therefore, in my opinion, the benefits will be less tangible i.e. motivational boost from new bike, etc... which could well translate into faster times. For the same cost, there is lower hanging fruit to be plucked.

That's not to say it isn't a good way forward; hey, everyone loves a new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked the question a while ago about the difference between an old P2C to a P5 - general consensus is about 4-6 minutes over an Ironman
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW the old P3 is long and low and the Shiv and P5 are short and high. If you want to run a low position alot of the older designs are better and body position trumps the bike if you are suitable for a low position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcendrars456 wrote:
I am considering buying a 2014 tri bike (specialized shiv, cervelo p5, etc.) to replace a 2007 cervelo p3 carbon. other than the fun i will have building the new bike, what are the benefits i can expect for IM races?

you go a little faster
if you use a bento box you can bolt it on which is a little cleaner

that is it!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked the question a while ago about the difference between an old P2C to a P5 - general consensus is about 4-6 minutes over an Ironman

But the ill-positioning of a water bottle, wrong helmet, or a race number flapping in the wind will put you back where you were! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, would a P5 cause your number to flap more than a P3 would?

One benefit of the P5 is the trucated downtube makes the penalty of a standard downtube bottle less than the old p3

Fleck wrote:

But the ill-positioning of a water bottle, wrong helmet, or a race number flapping in the wind will put you back where you were! :)

Last edited by: jackmott: Aug 22, 14 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:

That seems optimistic assuming your position stays the same, accessories, wheels/tires, etc. Just the frame itself, maybe 2-3 minutes at most, unless your a 6 hour rider.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, would a P5 cause your number to flap more than a P3 would?

Jack,

Come on. You know that when you stand on the side of the road in an Ironman on the bike leg, you see a direct correlation between how aero/expensive the frame is, and all the other aero-stuff the athlete is doing wrong! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcendrars456 wrote:

Position is King! Some of the new bikes with an integrated cockpit aren't as easy to fit correctly. A clean 2-piece bar and stem combo on your P3 might still be faster.

That said, there are probably a few minutes to be saved on a new frame. The new Felt IA, or maybe a Falco beam bike, would be my top picks, especially for IM distance. The non-UCI compliant design is pretty appealing at higher yaw angles. Felt calls their B2 a "parachute" compared to the IA!
Quote Reply
Re: benefits of newer tri specific bikes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
or maybe a Falco beam bike, would be my top picks, especially for IM distance. The non-UCI compliant design is pretty appealing at higher yaw angles. Felt calls their B2 a "parachute" compared to the IA!

I'd like to see some wind tunnel on that Falco first.

Quote Reply