Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

back to back racing (consecutive days)
Quote | Reply
It's not as bad as it sounds:
I have signed up for an olympic distance triathlon on a Sunday. But now, I want to participate on a relay race the previous Saturday (same place, same course). I would be the relay team swimmer (which is by far my strength in triathlon). Does that sound reasonable?
The relay race will either be also an olympic distance, or a 70.3 distance (which for the swim is not thaaaat much different).
I think my legs will be fresh on Sunday since on Saturday I will just swim, and in a way, it could be my pre-race warm up.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [carlosru83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as you keep an easy/training pace and ensure the other relay participants know your priority, why not?
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, I am willing to sacrifice my individual result, if the relay team does better. my bike and run are really not good. but I can finish in the top 5% of my age group in the swim. so I think my relay team would have a chance to be in the podium. I think that is worth having a slightly slower race on my own the following day. to put it differently: my individual race could be at a training pace if it needs to be. but would I be able to push hard in both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let it rip. I have done a sprint on saturday/half on sunday the last few years, and I go pretty hard in the sprint....you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you swim hard do you get sore? If your conditioning is such that you're still getting sore after a hard effort then maybe it might affect you but if you're just talking about being "tired" when you are done, you'll be ready to swim all out again in an hour or two so 24 hours is plenty of time.

If you are a top 5% swimmer, in all likelihood you won't even feel your previous day's swim effort.
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I don't actually feel a previous day swim, specially if it is less than 3km.

but I do feel any hard bike or run the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it. I raced an Oly on Sat and Sprint on Sun earlier this year. I PR'd my sprint bike and run after racing hard Sat. But then again, my PRs weren't all that great. You won't feel that swim the next day.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
come on, suck it up. I raced Standard distance Duathlon at Nationals starting at 8:15. At 10:45 I was dead to the earth in the shade trying to recover.
I only had 2 hours before the Sprint Duathlon race was to start. Sucked down some P&J and at 1:05, again went out red lined for another killer
race against top folks. What I found much more important than any physical training, etc., was the ability to get into the game mentally, and say I could
do it and deal with the pain.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced back to back on many occasions.

I don't see any reason not to do a swim on Saturday and then race on Sunday unless you really struggle with the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive. OK, I will do it. I have at least until the next day to recover. Including a very important night of sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once I had a half-iron race on Sat. and then stepped in as a runner in a relay on the Sunday - and cried for the entire 5k run. The time was still good enough for us to take the podium spot, but the pain was just horrible
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [robot_ap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty awesome.
I think it will be easier to do the relay the day before a full race. And by full I mean olympic distance, not even a half ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was not planned (The original runer was a no-show). For the entire run I kept saying - "never again..NEVER AGAIN..never again.."
Quote Reply
Re: back to back racing (consecutive days) [robot_ap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the no-show is now dead, I assume, since you strangled him the very next time you encountered paths?
(or is the no-show still in hiding?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
him or her... oops. assumptions were made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosru83 wrote:
Impressive. OK, I will do it. I have at least until the next day to recover. Including a very important night of sleep.

The bottom line is why not. We are doing this stuff for fun.

When I signed up, it gave me an option. I told folks, will see after the first race if I was going to be a DNS. Then I said why not try, worst
case a DNF. But instead, I dug in mentally, and had a great race. Ended up being number 1 in the Aged up 60-64 Sprint folks, and the top folks
did not do the double. Stupid, yep. But, will give me life time memories.

If you do not try, you never know what you can do. Go for it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply