Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
anyone use a throw away phone on the bike?
Quote | Reply
I hate to take my iPhone with me as it's so damn big, and expensive if I crash. It barely fits in some jerseys, and I really don't use any of the functions on it while riding. Was contemplating a prepaid flip phone, which looks like it costs about $15-30. As I know coverage differs on the model and where one lives, anyone else doing the same and have any suggestions? I'm just looking for something to use in case of emergency.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for the same reason and I don't do it when I bike, since putting the phone in my back pocket doesn't bother me, but I do switch if I run longer. I have a small flip phone I can put in my small pocket of my tri shorts which the bigger smart phones don't fit. I just switch the SIM card (I have ATT) and works fine. I think older BB will not work, they have their own servers/data plan. I just grabbed a $7 flip gophone.

EDIT: The reason I don't run with my iphone anymore. I dropped it once. It still works but screen is shattered. Holding it together with screen protection.
Last edited by: auto208562: Aug 31, 15 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't, but I typically ride with my phone and other personal belongings in my Camden Gear Ultra-Z running belt. It's very comfortable and most of the time I forget that I'm wearing it! Fits my Galaxy S5 active just fine, with plenty of room. I know it's not a defense against the crashing argument, but it alleviates the problem with fitting into the jersey. It also can be used as a running belt for 70.3 or longer and can hold on nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My S6 is pretty big.. somewhere between Iphone 6's in size. I just put it in a ziplock baggy, and it fits sideways in my big jersey pocket.

If sim card was easier to pull out I would swap to an older phone.. but meh, not going to pay for 2 contracts. Maybe could take an out of contract phone, as 911 still works on no-contract phones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 5s and it's one of the smallest phones I've had (though I'm always running behind with phone technology).

I keep it in my back center jersey pocket in a ziplock with the free Strava app running. It's just kind of a neat tool to track the ride and see how I stacked up.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I never run with my phone, but riding takes me further away. I had the old flip phones years ago, and they were just so convenient. I realize I'll have to see whose coverage is best where I ride, but it seems like a cheap and easy solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 5s with a Lifeproof case for every ride and run. Haven't had any issues. Unless you're using the 6 Plus, I can't see your phone being too big to fit in a jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I use a 5s with a Lifeproof case for every ride and run. Haven't had any issues. Unless you're using the 6 Plus, I can't see your phone being too big to fit in a jersey.

Same here. Lifeproof cases are unbelievably strong. Well worth the money.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put a spare ultralight tube in the same jersey pocket, set against the phone screen. If you crash and happen to somehow land on your phone, it'll probably survive.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the iPhone 6 and yes, I really don't like squeezing it into my pocket, as some of my tri tops are not that big. I do the ziplock now, but I'm riding, not talking....so really don't want the nuisance. Guess I'm old school.....no phone, no headphones, no music inside on trainer....a dinosaur. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iPhone? , what the heck is an iPhone? I have a flip phone which is all I use. Nice and small, takes photos if needed, texts, stores phone numbers, and does more than I have any clue what it does. Coverage is good. Phone cost $30? With the minutes I buy it costs me something like $7-8 a month and I never use all the minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [hazben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

hazben wrote:
iPhone? , what the heck is an iPhone? I have a flip phone which is all I use. Nice and small, takes photos if needed, texts, stores phone numbers, and does more than I have any clue what it does. Coverage is good. Phone cost $30? With the minutes I buy it costs me something like $7-8 a month and I never use all the minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

hazben wrote:

I bought the phone at Walmart and then just go online to add minutes. One suggestion I have if you know you won't be using very many minutes is look carefully at how long those minutes will keep the phone activated for. If you get the least minutes available it may only keep the phone activated for a month. The minutes do roll over but the phone will not be activated. If I remember correctly I think the $50 card keeps the phone activated for 6 months and I never use all those minutes and they just roll over. I think I get a $100 card and it is good for a year? So I don't have to remember to add minutes to it. If I remember correctly I had to pay a little extra when I first started using the phone to get it activated.

I also like I can let my kid borrow it and know they are not viewing stuff on the internet I don't want them to see and I don't worry much about him losing it. Yeah, I know it probably makes me look like a sucky parent when he is using a flip phone when all his buddies have iPhone 5 or 6. I tell him the money we are saving with the flip phone goes into his college account. Even at 14 he understands and appreciates this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a small flip phone on the bike because my iPhone takes up too much room in my saddle bag. I use T-Mobile prepaid; be aware that most prepaid providers require you to spend a certain amount (T-Mobile is $3/mo) to keep your phone active. Otherwise you'll have to reactivate it later on for an additional fee, plus you'll lose your phone #.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I hate to take my iPhone with me as it's so damn big, and expensive if I crash. It barely fits in some jerseys, and I really don't use any of the functions on it while riding. Was contemplating a prepaid flip phone, which looks like it costs about $15-30. As I know coverage differs on the model and where one lives, anyone else doing the same and have any suggestions? I'm just looking for something to use in case of emergency.

Thanks.

Oh. I thought you were looking to hook up and not get caught by the wife. My bad
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol! Not married. I did ask for a phone like the terrorists use but some didn't see the humor.

Maui5150 wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks.

Oh. I thought you were looking to hook up and not get caught by the wife. My bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's the only type of cell phone I have, so yes.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when Mrs. Bob Loblaw was pregnant, I got a prepaid cheapie cell phone to have with me. the idea was to have it so that i could be reached at any time in case of emergency, but that no one else woudl call it. i was hoping that it woudl be something i coudl even use while i was teaching.
turns out that there's an adjustment period between when you get a phone and when you can get telemarketers to stop calling you. but still, it was nice to have a pos phone with me in case of emergencies (on either end) and that i didn't mind if it broke or i lost it.
i do like having a smart phone on the bike in case i get lost,but i was biking before there were smart phones so i shouldn't be so reliant on it.
oh, and if you get a non smart phone with the same carrier as your smart phone, it should have the same coverage, for better or worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i always use a throw away phone... for everything lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always take my phone with me on bike rides, not so much during runs. Just throw it in the back pocket and forget about it. I have a case from Life Proof that I only use when riding. It protects it in case it falls out and it is waterproof to protect from sweat and rain. Also, I can usually put a credit card and a $5 bill in case I need something during long rides. Maybe that would be an option instead of getting a flip phone?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought there would be a market for a phone that was built like a docking station for a lap top. Large screen, long battery life, storage etc. but you could remove part of it for a smaller just phone and music piece. Same data plan, same phone number. Just remove a smaller basic part to take with you. Modular phone. I thought I read some place Google was working on something like that but I've never seen one.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone use a throw away phone on the bike? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds pretty interesting....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
I hate to take my iPhone with me as it's so damn big, and expensive if I crash. It barely fits in some jerseys, and I really don't use any of the functions on it while riding. Was contemplating a prepaid flip phone, which looks like it costs about $15-30. As I know coverage differs on the model and where one lives, anyone else doing the same and have any suggestions? I'm just looking for something to use in case of emergency. Thanks.

Don't call my cell phone a "throw-away" phone; i've been using the same phone since Jan 2009, and it does everything i need it to do. I have a minimalist plan that costs about $7.67/month:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you crash ? My bike is more expensive than my phone.

I normally use my smartphone in a ziploc bag to keep sweat or rain off it. Multiple years use and no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After crashing and smashing my iPhone, I now have a cheap throwaway Samsung thing. It's tiny, it's lightweight and the battery lasts for ever! Another advantage is that only my wife has the number, so it's no distraction while I'm out running/riding
I take as an emergency phone only

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next