Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

another garmin foot pod question
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a Garmin foot pod in hopes that it will help track my treadmill runs more accurately than my watch alone. Do I need to use it outside to calibrate it against GPS before it will be accurate indoors? It doesn't seem very accurate on my first couple treadmill runs.
Quote Reply
Re: another garmin foot pod question [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you cannot make it outside move the Calibration factor up or down to match your treadmill (which may/may not be accurate)
Quote Reply
Re: another garmin foot pod question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Hopefully I can get outside for a run this weekend but if not I'll try to dial it in manually. No idea how accurate my treadmill is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assume your treadmill is inaccurate and that it's inaccuracy will very by speed. Same thing applies when you calibrate your footpod...you calibrate it for a certain pace, if you a considerably slower or faster, the calibration will also be off by a noticeable amount...food for thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I found interesting is that the calibration factor for my footpod on my 920xt is different from my 230 (on the same pair of shoes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The outside calibration run is like 1/2 mile or less. It only takes a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: another garmin foot pod question [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
The outside calibration run is like 1/2 mile or less. It only takes a few minutes.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there an actual protocol or do you just go for a run with both GPS and foot pod enabled? The foot pod didn't come with any calibration instructions and refers me to my watch manual. I have a Vivoactive and the manual basically just says to adjust the calibration factor to whatever your known value is from a previous watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the watch you are using.

Edit: I didn't see the Vivoactive :P
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 17, 17 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Thanks. Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there an actual protocol or do you just go for a run with both GPS and foot pod enabled? The foot pod didn't come with any calibration instructions and refers me to my watch manual. I have a Vivoactive and the manual basically just says to adjust the calibration factor to whatever your known value is from a previous watch.

I'm not sure how to do it on the Vivoactive. If you pair the sensor, then go to its settings there is probably something there.

I used to have a 910, and you'd go to settings and select calibrate. Then it would tell you to start running and show a progress bar as you go. I tried to run at a tempo-ish pace since I usually use the treadmill for tempo/interval runs. I figured it would be best for the footpod to "learn" that style of stride. No idea if it matters though.

Now I have a 235 and when you go to the settings, there's an option for "auto-calibrate" which I assume means it will constantly adjust the calibration factor based on your most recent outdoor runs.
Quote Reply