Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
allergy issues after swimming
Quote | Reply
Last summer and this summer, I have started having mild to severy allergic type reactions after swimming. A few hours after swimming, I start sneezing and my sinuses get badly congested. This happens whether I swim in the pool or open water. The length of the swim does not seem to matter. The congestion peaks after a few more hours, then slowly goes away. Anthistamines help alleviate the congestion, but also leave me very dry, so I don't like to take them, but they are necessary if I want to sleep. This gets bad enough that I avoiding swimming. I live in San Antonio, TX.

Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [mtschnur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a nose plug?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! I had a very similar problem to you. As a matter of fact, my reaction to swimming [exact same as yours re; sinuses, congestion, even sore throat in my case] was one of the foremost reasons that I stuck to Duathlon for 1.5 years. Anyways, after those 1.5 years I decided that I needed to give Tris one more honest shot. My coach at the time kept on telling me that it is likely everyone has some sort of "histamine reaction to chlorine" and that I just needed to deal with it and let my body adapt. That is exactly what I did, and what happened. I started with shorter swims (e.g., under 30 minutes) and slowly built up. The first month or so I had the nose/throat issues, but noticed that, sure enough, they tapered off. 9 months later (starting swimming December) I am in the pool for between 4-5 hours most weeks, and don't have the issue much anymore. I may still have a stuffy/runny nose after some swims, but it is by no means severe.

Note that my issue was particular to pool swimming, and chlorine, so the open water issue is an interesting one. In terms of using antihistamines or seeing an allergist, I never did any of that for a few reasons, but mainly because 1) I hate how even OTC allergy meds completely dry me out and 2) With all the training I don't like to introduce things into my body that changes its natural response to stress.

Basically, I would build up slowly, and give yourself a good month for your body to adjust before getting frustrated. Those first few weeks I was a walking snot-show, but yeah, it calmed down.

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same issue. I use the Speedo competition nose clip and have no issues now no matter where or how much I swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a good thread on this about a year ago, it is worth looking for.

For me, I have problems with the chlorine and went to see an allergist 6-7 yrs ago. He said basically that the chlorine makes you more suceptible to your other allergies. I've used different antihistamines which have worked but leave me dry and a little drowsy. I also use a nasal spray turning the real bad times of the year (hay and leaf mould).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the exact same issue, open water or in a pool. I'm on regular allergy meds but still had issues swimming. Allergist thought it was simply sinuses getting irritated due to small amounts of water getting up the nose. Started using a nose clip and all problems are completely gone. Don't worry about looks and just try a nose clip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happens to me on occasion. It isn't consistent though and rarely last more than a couple of hours. I haven't tried anything to avoid it but try a nose plug, seemed to help some people here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - I try to run after every swim (even just 15 minutes). Sweating the chlorine out seems to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the same problems, especially after lake swimming which I just can't do except when I have to during a race. I did purchase a nose clip but even then have problems. Just went to the doctor's yesterday and she prescribed a nose spray. In addition to the nasal congestion, my ears are really 'clogged' up. Not fun but am hopeful the nose spray will help.

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [White Lightning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
White Lightning wrote:
I had the exact same issue. I use the Speedo competition nose clip and have no issues now no matter where or how much I swim.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [ngrabow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need to make sure you get the metal nose clip. I don't think the plastic ones work as well.
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [ngrabow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtschnur you definately are not alone. It kills me especially now as my swimming is getting longer getting ready for an Ironman. I have been to a Dr. three time in two months due to sinus infections. I tried the nose clips but I just can't stand swimming with them. It's like I cant get enough air or something. Advil Cold and Sinus really helps me but you have to have a prescription for it here in MS due to all the methheads. ngrabow do you mind telling me which nose spay you had. The first Dr. I went to gave me a nose spray and I didn't have any problems till I used it all and since then all hell has broken loose on me. I woke up this AM with a scratchy throat and I knew it was due to swimming. Body feels fine, and for me it doesn't matter if I swim in my lake or the pool. It whoops me either way.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this really bad but only after open water swims. My strategy is to use Flonase regularly, and Afrin on the nights after open water swims (note: you can only use Afrin for a few nights, you are not supposed to use it regularly). I haven't been able to get comfortable with the nose clips yet but I will keep trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same issues as you, I'm down in McAllen, TX. After reading on the forums I went to Walgreen's and got some saline water. I squirt in my nostrils after a swim and that has alleviated the symptoms. Though like a previous poster said I may just be getting used to it. If you do use the saline water have a fresh bottle of water of something around to drink because it tastes awful if it gets in your throat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that it happens when you intake a bit of water into your sinuses. it happens to me all the time especially with pools with high levels of chlorine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing. After swimming my whole life, it started a few years ago. I think I am getting so relaxed in the water, I tend to breath in through my nose and mouth, and small amounts of water are irritating my sinuses. One thing I try to do is to try breathing in only through my mouth and out through my nose. That lessens the symptoms. I also started taking Zyrtec. I cannot take any sinus medications without drying out and getting all jumping, except for Zyrtec. I get no symptoms and decent relief. So while in the past years I have avoided swimming much due to stopped up nose and sneezing, I am pretty much okay now.

I also tried nose clips. They are what clued me to trying to breath in through my nose. I didn't even realize I was doing that. However, as a long term solution I did not like them. They are a hassle, fall off at inopportune times, and do not increase your coolness factor.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep - same problem...chlorine pools and the water at the Boulder Reservoir affect me. But I now do all of my training in a saline pool and don't have any issues. Tried the nose plug and although it worked, I couldn't stand it.

Re: allergy issues after swimming [peewee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peewee wrote:
mtschnur you definately are not alone. It kills me especially now as my swimming is getting longer getting ready for an Ironman. I have been to a Dr. three time in two months due to sinus infections. I tried the nose clips but I just can't stand swimming with them. It's like I cant get enough air or something. Advil Cold and Sinus really helps me but you have to have a prescription for it here in MS due to all the methheads. ngrabow do you mind telling me which nose spay you had. The first Dr. I went to gave me a nose spray and I didn't have any problems till I used it all and since then all hell has broken loose on me. I woke up this AM with a scratchy throat and I knew it was due to swimming. Body feels fine, and for me it doesn't matter if I swim in my lake or the pool. It whoops me either way.

Nasonex

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this issue in my lake if I do long OWS's. I use a nose clip for pool and races, but for long, like 1.5 hour OWS's, my nose goes nuts. So far the only way I have "fixed" it is to swim with a center mounted
snorkel and diving mask. I have not done for a while since the after effects were not worth it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the same issue, both pool and OW. Almost went to the nose clip, but then saw this tip somewhere - rub vaseline inside your nostrils. Tried it out, and it reduced the problem down to a few sniffles. An easier solution for races I think.

(You may want to do this before you get to the water, otherwise people will note the guy/girl shoving their pinky up their nose before the swim, and you get put in the 'strange denizens of the pool' thread).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect timing for this thread. I just started having the same issues as the OP. Based on what I've read, I am going to try out a nose clip. I hope it works.
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [White Lightning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having the same issue and got my self one of these nose clips. However for the life of me I can't figure out how to keep it on my nose for more than 50 yards. Seems to want to fall off with every flip turn. Does yours stay on for the length of the swim or do you have to adjust it from time to time?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to have the smaller ones that Speedo makes. The Nike ones are enormous. Then you can pinch the metal so they get pretty tight on your nose. Try it so the metal part is on top of your nose or try flipping it around so the metal part is under your nose/nostrils. Works both ways for me and I never have to adjusted it during the swim. It does take a little getting used to, but once your used to it they are no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: allergy issues after swimming [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to try several models and find the best one for your nose. They are cheap. The wire ones can be bent to some degree. I had a plastic one that sucked until I heated it with a lighter and bent it. It worked great until it cracked (at the heated area) after 3 or 4 months.

After OWS I also flush out my nose with a saline solution and rinse off as soon as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a nose clip and it helps a bit. However I started using a Neti pot after my swims and that helps a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next