Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

age old grouppo question
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to start the typical "vs." battle, but I'm hoping to get some quality information on the different grouppos from Campagnolo and Shimano. I'm going to be building a new road bike soon (leaning heavily towards an Orbea frame) and am trying to decide whaat to put on it; Dura-Ace, new 10spd DA, Ultegra, Record, Chorus, or Centaur (Daytona). To be honest, I think DA and Record are way out of my price range. I'm probably looking at either Ultegra or Chorus, but how does Centaur stack up? Is the 10th gear really that useful? Looks like Shimano's finally started to go that route. What about cross-chaining and chain breaking with the 10 spd systems? Is that any concern. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: age old grouppo question [carchaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run Centaur right now and love it. Cross chain breaking? Not a problem for me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the words of my LBS friend, " Ultegra is the racer's gruppo, Dura Ace is the lawyer's gruppo".

I know it's nice, but DA is just too much money for something that is going to take that much abuse.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: age old grouppo question [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Ultegra is the racer's gruppo, Dura Ace is the lawyer's gruppo".

But Campy is THE gruppo. And this is from a guy with three ShimaNO equipped bikes. When I finally buy my "rest of my life" bike it will be Campy equipped. I'm saving the best for last.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were going to build a new road bike, I'd use a Campagnolo Chorus Gruppo. I'm not wealthy beyond belief and Chorus has lots of bang for the buck.

I currently have a steel Bianchi road bike with a mixed 9 speed Campy gruppo of mostly Veloce and I like it. I also have a steel 'cross bike with Ultegra to compare and contrast.

The thing I like most about the Campy shifters is that there are multiple cog changes possible on the upshift (harder to pedal) as well as the downshift. My Ultegra only allows multiple cog changes in downshift only. Downshift is one cog change per click of the lever. This turns out to be a biggie for me when camparing the two. Also, Campy allows one to trim the front derailleur (adjust it so that the chain doesn't rub against the front derailleur). It's sort of a combo of indexing and friction. I like this. Shimano has only two stops, a trim stop and a chainring change stop. Functional, but short of Campy's engineering.

Also, Campy finishing and tolerances are beautiful. Polished finishes and tight tolerances. I've read that sometimes the Campy tolerances are tight, but faulty, as in sometimes a bit too tight. And the whole years gruppo ends up that way. Hasn't been a problem recently, just historical info. Oh well, at least they're consistant.

That's my $.02

Sean
Last edited by: haystack: Oct 12, 03 12:45
Quote Reply