Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aftermarket treadmill speed control
Quote | Reply
I have an older Precor commercial treadmill. Like most treadmills, I have to hold a button down to change the speed up and down when I do intervals and it's kind of a pain in the neck.

Has anyone developed a more elegant way to control treadmill speed, e.g. a computer app?
Quote Reply
Re: aftermarket treadmill speed control [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checkout Wahoo, they built an app
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

I am probably flat-out wrong, but I still seriously think there's a giant untapped market for a treadmill that can be controlled by a phone or PC app kind of like Zwift or Trainerroad does with bike trainers.

That said, I've never had a real problem pushing the buttons!
Quote Reply
Re: aftermarket treadmill speed control [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's really neat, it looks like you would need to program a workout into your device to get the speed change function
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a VO2max test at my University last week. They used some janky old treadmill, but the computer/software program they used for the test automated the change in pace/incline throughout the test. I'm not sure what program they used, but this sort of control does exist. Maybe the demand is just not there to commercialize such a program to the general fitness crowd?
Quote Reply
Re: aftermarket treadmill speed control [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think maybe the treadmill manufacturers are worried about the whole speed change thing and the potential for liability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, that is a good point. There was someone at the control during the whole test to kill the treadmill if I gave he signal. You wouldn't have that safety feature if you were alone in your basement I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: aftermarket treadmill speed control [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my Precor commercial is pretty old, it runs flat out at 4 mins a mile, the belt just hums. I suspect they limit the speed on newer ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
i think maybe the treadmill manufacturers are worried about the whole speed change thing and the potential for liability?

That's a good point. I didn't think of that. Freaking overlitigation!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker touches on the subject in his Zwift running article
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/hands-upcoming-running.html

Lots of discussion in the comments.

You also may want to look at the Wahoo GymConnect
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/announces-gymconnect-integration.html
Quote Reply
Re: aftermarket treadmill speed control [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have been in touch w/ Wahoo, they said you can read the speed but not control it
Quote Reply