Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero helmets
Quote | Reply
do aero helmets such as the LG prologue really help? The bike is definately my strongest part, and i really want to tear it apart and get some time, so my moderate run pace doesnt hurt me.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [apolack1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I heard about 25 seconds for 40-k over a traditional helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't give you specifics, but do recall various people (maybe John Cobb and the like) saying they were faster.

You say you want to ride faster so your slower run doesn't hurt you, but in fact the faster you ride the more a slower run will "hurt" your race. ie. if you ride really slow then that same run won't "hurt" but will actually improve your race.

Anyway, I know what you mean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think John Cobb has an article on this on his website. As I recall it's not huge and you can get almost the same result with taping the vents of a standard helmet. Just remember that TT doen't require a hot run afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so about 50 seconds over a 1/2 IM, sounds like its worth $120. NOT!
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [camel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, if i wanna win my AG, then a fast ride can "make up" for a slower run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But it looks cool, that's worth something. Plus if you amortize it over maybe 15 races you get the cost per race down to $8 a throw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, that 50 seconds only costs $120 if a standard helmet is free. . .if a standard helmet costs $70, you're only really out 50 clams for that 50 seconds.

Which isn't to say that it's worth it. . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"25 seconds for 40-k over a traditional helmet. "

You'll also apparently get the same by taping over the holes on a regular helmet. I've used that fine clear plastic stuff that you use in colder climes for insulating windows. Cut it to size and blow it on with a hair dryer. Makes a nice neat job.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: taping over helmet vents

Just out of curiosity--do you use the double sided tape and the heat shrink film?
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [Rocky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"do you use the double sided tape and the heat shrink film? "
Yup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cerveloguy

How do you find the heat with all of the vents taped up? As a fellow Ontarian (did you race Peterborough last summer? very hot and humid) I find the summer races pretty hot and humid ..... the 25 seconds you might save on the bike could vanish pretty quickly on the run if you were overheating.
Quote Reply
Re: aero helmets [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How do you find the heat with all of the vents taped up?"

Allan,

Didn't find it a problem last year in the events I did but missed Peterborough. Will be there this year. Of course I'm only doing sprints with 20-35 kms bike rides so it might be more of an issue for you doing the longer courses, but realize the LG isn't all that well ventilated either.

The hottest race I ever did was Kingston in 2001. Hottest day of the summer and it might have been a problem then.

Of course you can always easily rip the stuff on the fly which you can't do with a LG.

As for over heating before the run, well my running sucks any ways so I tend to treat sprint tris as a TT followed by a jog and hope that my bike time will hold on for a podium. However, I am making a serious effort this year to improve my running.

"rather be a fast short than a slow long"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Of course you can always easily rip the stuff on the fly which you can't do with a LG."

Sorry, meant to say "rip the stuff off on the fly" referring to the tape or the window insulation material that you're using to cover the holes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember KTown in 2001 none to fondly .... I raced the IM in Roth and decided that 4 weeks later KTown would be a good race to see if I was recovered and ready to race the rest of the season ..... in that heat I was toast and shuffling like I had done the last few miles of the IM before I got out to the sprint turnaround which made the final 11k really gruesome. Like you said, I guess you can doctor up your helmet based on race day conditions and switch things on the fly.
Quote Reply