Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a good trainer. Have been using the E-Motion roller for a few months but find it too hard to stay in the aero position for lengthy time periods. Considering the Wahoo Kickr and have read DCRainmaker's and other comments here. Appreciate any feedback from users of this product and if I should be considering other options. Thanks.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jan 23, 15 16:16
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have a power meter, get that and a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is all you need. If you have a power meter already, then decide on the Kickr or a cheaper trainer.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Computrainer. You sure do not read it has issues.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a kickr, it is good
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Dave,

Do you actually have a Computrainer or just the two Velotrons that Racermate gave you at greatly reduced cost to shill for them?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Unless you need something very minimal, like rollers or a mag/fluid resistance trainer for basic workouts, I'd suggest getting a Kickr. The hardware is by far the best. Wheel/tire resistance is a hassle and inaccurate, wheel-less trainers are the way to go. But the real clincher is the functionality. You've got accurate, easily calibrated power, you can easily integrate designed workouts or get the strava app and ride any ride off strava courses. There is also an ergometer function on the iphone app and some other cool options.

I've been using mine about 4 days a week as well as having used them in the APEX coaching studio in Boulder as a 12 trainer linked studio.

Honestly, nothing compares.

Jimmy

Jimmy Archer
Pro Triathlete/Coach/Freelance Writer
http://www.jimmyarcher.com
http://www.dirttri.com
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [JTRock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been extremely happy with my KICKR and can honestly say its been the best investment for my training. I even had an issue with it, and WAHOO customer support was fantastic overnighting me a new top cap which sorted whatever the issue was out. I looked long and hard at the jurt kinetic road machine, and demo'd it for two nights. As soon as I got on the KICKR i was sold. The feel, ease of use, it was a game changer. Paired with Trainer Road i dont know of a better combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if headed in the KICKR direction.
I'm selling new/still in box.
if interested in pricing, send a PM.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hideano wrote:

Sent you PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

+1. Mine has been solid and love it with TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Except for all the issues noted here?

To the OP: I've owned a Kickr for over a year; it's a great piece of hardware. I initially rode it using a Quarq-equipped bike and the Kickr readings came in a few watts lower, which is what I would expect from a hub (versus crank) powermeter.

I highly recommend pairing it with TrainerRoad and some Sufferfest vids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very happy with my kickr, no regrets whatsoever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you EVER used a Kickr? You continually post about how amazing the CT units are but, as with Garmin Vector pedal discussions and the "negatives" people list, I very much doubt you have ever actually used the unit in question. I have used both and I would, in a heartbeat, buy the Kickr if I were choosing between two new products. Oh wait, I DID buy the Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hideano wrote:

I actually bought my KICKR from hideano, it's a fantastic product

it's a pricey investment but very much worth it
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Have you EVER used a Kickr? You continually post about how amazing the CT units are but, as with Garmin Vector pedal discussions and the "negatives" people list, I very much doubt you have ever actually used the unit in question. I have used both and I would, in a heartbeat, buy the Kickr if I were choosing between two new products. Oh wait, I DID buy the Kickr.

Why would I ever want to use a product that so many are trying to get to work correctly? No Thanks. Have to buy an expensive power meter to match with the expensive Kickr? Again, no thanks.

That is quite different that all the folks who have opinions on things like powercranks and disc brakes but have never used.

All you poor folks on such inferior products. My velotrons are the only way to go and I do not think I have ever heard anyone complaining about their accuracy, need for warm ups, etc. :)
Now if I could just have 3 of them.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your opinions are completely useless. Just drop it.

Most could buy a his and hers kickr and power meters for the price of a single velotron. Laughable that you call a kickr expensive when you have two velotrons to ride on your own.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Jan 24, 15 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Why would I ever want to use a product that so many are trying to get to work correctly? No Thanks. Have to buy an expensive power meter to match with the expensive Kickr? Again, no thanks.

That is quite different that all the folks who have opinions on things like powercranks and disc brakes but have never used.

All you poor folks on such inferior products. My velotrons are the only way to go and I do not think I have ever heard anyone complaining about their accuracy, need for warm ups, etc. :)

Maybe you haven't heard anyone complain about the velotron because no one else rides one other than you. Just leave us poor kids alone so we can ride our inferior products in peace.
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri2112 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I think you missed the pink and smile behind why I wrote what I did. Too many are just taking things too personal but what is new. :)

Maybe you haven't heard anyone complain about the velotron because no one else rides one other than you. Just leave us poor kids alone so we can ride our inferior products in peace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the advice and feedback. Seems every product out there has their pros and cons. Elected to go with the Kickr.... and bought from fellow Slowtwitch'r hideano. Thanks again for all the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Kickr for a year. Never had any material problems. I use it with TrainerRoad. It's very slick.
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have a power meter but still want to use the Kickr, the PowerCal heart rate monitor is just $88 (bought mine using DC Rainmaker's discount link) and it produces power stats that Garmin and Kickr pick up as if it were a power meter.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharon, there's nothing totally inaccurate this this statement, but I don't understand why you would need an external power metering source aside from the Kickr? Particularly one that would be less accurate or reliable than the Kickr itself? I get the folks on here wanting to use something that is a bit more tried and true on the power measurement side in the SRM/Quarq world to guide the power measurement and recording, but the PowerCal heart rate to power estimates would be decidedly inferior to the Kickr's internal systems that do the same.

Let me know if I'm missing something here.
Quote Reply
Re: advice on indoor trainer......wahoo fitness kickr [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see what you're saying -- the Kickr can tell me what the power is. So why get a double power reading.

The PowerCal strap is the only one I use for heart rate, and it's what my Garmin is reading, so I guess that's why I use it.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kickr is a great machine and the ability to set it to certain watts and control workouts is definitely nice, but I'd recommend the Lemond Revolution with she Watt Box. you can get that set up for half the price of a Kickr and the real world feel is unlike any other trainer. Yes, it is a little loud, but my wife can't hear it from our basement and we don't have a finished ceiling. I've ridden the Kickr plenty of times and whike yes it's nice to set target watts and just pedal, it is not helping you as much with real world pacing. What I mean is that the Kickr is very easy to maintain certain watts because it will just adjust no matter the cadence So you don't get the ideal feel of pacing. The Lemond is very real like and if you let off, just like outside, your watts will drop and you have to concentrate a bit to stay in the zone. A lot of pro teams , men and women using the Lemond and has good reviews. If anything check it out

Quote | Reply
people should just stop feeding the H2oFool. It's clear that he just wants attention.
Quote Reply

Prev Next