Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
# of hardish runs/week
Quote | Reply
How many hard runs would most of you get in per week while also training pretty hard for the bike (trainerroad sustained build)? I would also note that I would run a long run each week. When I say hard runs, I'm referring to tempo pace or faster. I know the answers will vary, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
One

This

Usually I do one easy middle distance run, one hard run working on speed, one long run, and a short transition run off the long-bike.
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally a long run qualifies as a hard run even if the intensity is pretty low. One other speed session during the week (and it doesn't have to be on the track), be it hill sprints, or a tempo run suffices. Speed is more the icing - base miles and frequency build you up.

Doing something like adding 10x 20-30" strides to the end of an easy run can also go a long way.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go with track on tuesdays, threshold on thursday or friday and a hard brick after the sunday ride.. anywhere from 2.5 to 5k.

It really depends on the goals for that week and the current focus. Generally speaking, I find a solid guideline to be 2ish hard sessions per week in 2 of the 3 sports while the other sport is just maintaining.I try to do 75/20 where 75% is easy or technique focused and 25% is purposeful intensity.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My run schedule is a bastardized version of the BarryP 3-2-1 plan. The '2' are my hard runs, either 1-tempo pace and 1-track w/o or 2-tempo pace runs. but as others have said, it depends on the goals, this is just my template from which I design my training plans. Some weeks make one of the '2' runs an easy run and one of the '3' runs a race effort brick as an example.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
How many hard runs would most of you get in per week while also training pretty hard for the bike (trainerroad sustained build)? I would also note that I would run a long run each week. When I say hard runs, I'm referring to tempo pace or faster. I know the answers will vary, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Thanks in advance.

I know that a lot of the ST regulars state that you should run one (ETA: or none) *hard* run per week, but I find that some people are durable enough to do a few. I'm one of them. In fact, in my training leading up to a marathon, I've done several hard runs per week. As long as I get enough rest and take care of my body, I don't feel overly fatigued or tired. FWIW, I'm 39 and a FOP runner.

So, IMO, I guess it depends on your durability.
Last edited by: d00d: Mar 5, 15 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero hard runs or hard bikes per week. I wait for these hard efforts for races.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

What pace do you run your 10min bricks?

What power are your bike intervals compared to race intensity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to get back into training and have been doing one "long" run a week ---- and that's my only run. I'm at 6 miles now and set the pace at my current race pace ---- so it's all out. This has actually been working for me pretty well ----- can handle the distance a lot better, enter the workout fresh, and have seen my pace improving each week. I'm only training for an olympic distance race.

I'm planning on adding a second run working on leg speed/ extended sprints when my current workout begins to have stagnating effects.

This low volume is really crazy for me ---- I used to slog away with frequent but slow and short runs and then a long run on the weekend that was also usually slow because I was so beat up from the mid week runs. And I just get bored.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
One

For me, this. One hard track session. Perhaps a tempo run too but don't consider that 'hard'

Previously it was zero as I was trying to vanquish an injury-ridden history
Last edited by: dado0583: Mar 5, 15 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

10 minutes bricks are at 6:30 pace, 1.5% on the treadmill.

Since I do not have a power meter on my bike, no idea. I spin 3 days a week at 193 watts, I do 4X10 intervals 3 days a week at 221 watts now.
During a race on the bike I just push as hard as I can, knowing I need to have a good run off the bike.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Since I do not have a power meter on my bike, no idea. I spin 3 days a week at 193 watts, I do 4X10 intervals 3 days a week at 221 watts now.
During a race on the bike I just push as hard as I can, knowing I need to have a good run off the bike.

So every 10min is at race pace and your 4x10 intervals are likely at race pace. Why do you say that is zero hard workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

So every 10min is at race pace and your 4x10 intervals are likely at race pace. Why do you say that is zero hard workouts?

I know my bike is not at race pace since I never push anything in training.

Yes I will agree my brick is at race pace. But 10 minutes is nothing. Doing track speed work is what I never do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0-1 hard runs. While fun, I get pretty equal benefit from just running easy (2-4 times/week), saving my legs for 2 very hard bike session a week (and doing 4-5 easy bike sessions a week).

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One threshold interval run
One longer run with 20 min of threshold intervals
Everything else is easy.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically 1 tempo run on fresh legs and then another run that is hard off the bike, depending where I am in my training it could be the first mile or 2 and ease into something comfortable or ill do the full run hard 40-50min
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most weeks one, some weeks two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it really depends on your age and level of conditioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the the training period. Right now only one, as part of my long weekend run. When it warms up, and I have more miles under my belt, I'll add in a weekly hard speed session on the track.
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

Bingo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Rambler wrote:

Bingo

Great article on Ned Overend and high intensity training. http://velonews.competitor.com/...ining-masters_362176
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

I think this pretty much is right.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Mar 5, 15 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: # of hardish runs/week [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
JoeO wrote:

I think this pretty much is right.

You can rarely go wrong following Joe O's running advice.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply

Prev Next