Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had surgery for right inguinal hernia, sports hernia, and lipoma removed at the end of July 2015...5 months ago. Dr. Nannery in Canton/Norwood, MA. Recovery went ok, competed in a sprint tri about 7 weeks later but still felt like I was pushing it. Couldn't run at all until maybe week 5.

Generally I'm 25mpw with one 25mi bike ride and a swim session every other week. Enough to run 5k's and do sprints and occasional Olympic.

During recovery I had some setbacks - about 10 weeks in I had to revisit the doc because I overdid it one weekend. He told me to back off but the repair was still solid. Then two weeks ago out of nowhere - well I say out of nowhere because I was feeling good and ran a few consecutive days of 4mi trail runs, not anything crazy to me - I felt extreme tightness on both sides, up by the inside hip flexors. I ran 3mi one morning and by lunch my groin on the opposite side (left) was killing me. 6/10 on the pain scale, hurt to walk.

I thought it was just tight hip flexors, I took a day off, got a little better, but doing hip flexor lunge-stretches seems to make things worse, not stretch them to make them better. I can really feel something bad in that left hip flexor area when I do a trunk turn towards my right side.

When I had the left side hernia, I felt a true "pop" one morning putting on my socks and my right nut ached for days. This time around, my balls don't ache, I have no pain when coughing, but it feels like I've got a strain or tear in the left ab/groin/hip-flexor. While running I'm ok - I feel a twinge or two down there, but no sustained pain - I can generally continue to run and it goes away.

Anyone else feel super tight on the opposite side of their repair?
Quote Reply
Re: inguinal hernia and recovery [brian_j_smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 4 weeks ago due to which Iím not able to eat or drink anything. The terrible feeling of heartburn and throat heaviness had made me so embarrassed and uncomfortable. My doctor in Shouldice hospital advised me to reduce my weight by following proper diet and exercise. He also advised me to avoid alcohol, chocolates and products which contain caffeine. Iím trying my best to follow up the hernia diet, but am fed up with this vomiting and chest pain, none of the heartburn drugs worked for me. I heard that a hiatal hernia does not need any specific treatment but I wonder how could I manage this disease. Is surgery a wise option? Has anyone had an experience with hiatal hernia surgery? If so, Kindly share your experience. Thank you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next