Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

? about tubes and Zipp 404s
Quote | Reply
I know its posted a million times but I am having problems finding it. What length valve do I need to fit some 404 Zipps? Also I think I am going to get Continental 4000s II and wondering what tubes I should get to compliment them? Thanks for helping the newbie out.
Quote Reply
Re: ? about tubes and Zipp 404s [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different tube brands make different length for the valve which leads you to the extension you need. Make up your mind if you wanna go latex or butyl.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80mm valve stems. Example:

Continental Light 80mm Presta Valve Tube, Black, 700 x 18-25cc https://www.amazon.com/..._r_awd_Uv6Dub0BKQY5N
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80mm valve or a 60mm valve with a small extender. I do a 60mm vittoria latex tube with a Conti valve extender, but the silica valve extenders are really nice as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rim is 58mm deep. You want a minimum of 20mm sticking out of the rim. So just make sure your valve length + extender is 80mm.

Quote | Reply
I picked up some Zipp 404s this morning at my LBS black Friday sale and as pleasantly surprised when I found out they came with tubes from Zipp, problem solved :)
Thanks for the help everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've gone 5,000 miles on one of those Zipp tubes. Just last week it finally gave and I still think it had more life in it but the inside of my rim was sandy so it punctured. Great tubes though.
Quote Reply
Re: ? about tubes and Zipp 404s [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only use my Zipps for racing (can't afford to replace them easily) so I use vitorria latex which have removable cores as mentioned and I have 2 or 3 lengths of extensions. I pick the shortest one I need. Just remember that the extension on your spare MUST BE as long as your deepest rim. Otherwise you'll have to F with changing the extension out on the side of the road.

...which means for spares, I use butyl tubes with removable cores.

Plus you need removable cores to easily add sealant... which everyone should have as cheap insurance in latex or thin butyl race tubes.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Nov 28, 14 11:08
Quote Reply