Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa Erg expert
Quote | Reply
Info on how best to train with the Vasa is lacking. Any resident expert here.l and or a place with good workouts or resources.

Also trying to find my Critical swim power. Is there a protocol similar to the CSS I can do. I am looking for the equivalent to the FTP test for the Vasa Erg.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Erg expert [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lightair (sp?) is probably the closest thing we have to a Vasa expert on here. I'll bump this thread, maybe he'll reply.

The only "test" I've ever done is 1,000 meters for time with the damper on the middle setting. I'll then pull 100s at about a :5/100m faster pace with :10 rest for 2,000-3,000 meters if I can't make it to the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
Info on how best to train with the Vasa is lacking. Any resident expert here.l and or a place with good workouts or resources.

Also trying to find my Critical swim power. Is there a protocol similar to the CSS I can do. I am looking for the equivalent to the FTP test for the Vasa Erg.

Thanks

"Lightheir" is indeed our resident ST Vasa Erg expert so PM him if he doesn't respond soon. At the risk of stealing his thunder, I know what he going to say basically: pull on the erg until your arms feel like they're going to fall off, then pull some more. I don't think he has a magic interval formula or the like but rather he has just pulled until his arms were shredded, and got much stronger in swim-specific strength. IIRC, he went from swimming around 150-1:55/100 yd down to 1:20-1:25 mainly by using the Vasa, with maybe 2 in-water swims/week.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Erg expert [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Lightair (sp?) is probably the closest thing we have to a Vasa expert on here. I'll bump this thread, maybe he'll reply.

The only "test" I've ever done is 1,000 meters for time with the damper on the middle setting. I'll then pull 100s at about a :5/100m faster pace with :10 rest for 2,000-3,000 meters if I can't make it to the pool.

Ever use the non-erg Vasa Trainer? Just picked one up for $50 and trying to figure out what is best "setting" (bungee cord color attachment, etc) to simulate the work in the pool.
I know there is no way I can do 1000 meters straight now on Vasa but 1000 in the pool is no issue for me
so I am sticking to 100-200 estimates based on stroke count, etc

Anyone with info on this type of trainer- much appreciated

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the 5min/1min power test for the Vasa SwimErg. It is similar to a 400/200 CSS test. 80% of the 5min power is a good endurance power to do extended repeats on and the 1min power is a good sprint focus. As far as workouts, it depends on your race distance and whether you are replacing swims with a SwimErg or using it more as a supplement. A few of my favorite workouts are:
1) 4x5' at 80% power alternating between damper door 1 and 2.
2) 3x10' at 75-80% DD1, 80% DD1, and then 80% DD2. (DD= damper door)
3) DD pyramid as 1min at 80% 5min power increasing DD up to 7 then back down with 20s rest between each
4) 10x rotating through 30s 80% 5min power, 20s at 5min power, 10s at 1min power for 2-3 rounds with 1min between each round (good one for strokes per min focus)

Vasa has some great stuff on their website too.

I have never used the Vasa Swim Trainer but I think it is better used for form work and isometric exercises with a high elbow catch focus rather than replacing swims but that is just my two watts
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Erg expert [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Quote) "I like the 5min/1min power test for the Vasa Swim Erg. It is similar to a 400/200 CSS test." (Quote)

Ummm, I don't mean to split hairs but no one can swim 200 m in 1:00 (200 scm WR is 1:39.4), plus most triathletes can not swim 400 m in 5:00, so your analogy is a bit flawed. You would need to be going somewhere close to your pool 200 and 400 times to make this viable, e.g. your "average triathlete" might swim 200 scm in 4:00 and 400 scm in 8:30, or similar.

Last edited by: ericmulk: Feb 9, 18 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Erg expert [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence why I said it was similar not exact. I should have been clearer. Maybe power equivalent of the 400/200 CSS test might have been better for me to say?

It allows you to get power numbers rather than pace. You can certainly train by pace on the SwimErg but I prefer to train by power and thus do the 5/1 test. If you did go the pace/distance route over the power/duration route then a 500 or 1000m TT or even a 400/200 test might be a better option.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Erg expert [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmatraining wrote:
Hence why I said it was similar not exact. I should have been clearer. Maybe power equivalent of the 400/200 CSS test might have been better for me to say?

It allows you to get power numbers rather than pace. You can certainly train by pace on the SwimErg but I prefer to train by power and thus do the 5/1 test. If you did go the pace/distance route over the power/duration route then a 500 or 1000m TT or even a 400/200 test might be a better option.

Ah, OK, I understand better now. Thanks for the further explanation.

Quote Reply